• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Producer Carl Macek Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about this Sad I actually thought he was quite a bit older but he wasn't even sixty yet. From the podcast I'd heard him on I have to say he seemed like a very interesting person and I'd have liked to have met him at a convention (but that won't happen now).
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
This is such sad news Sad . He is without a doubt one of the most important and influencal people in the R1 anime industry. Without this man I highly doubt anime would be where it is today. We will never be able to repay him for what he has done. Sure some people may have had problems with how he adapted certian shows, but you cannot deny that without him anime would not be very popular here in the US. Or at the very least the industry here would be very different today, if it even existed at all. The podcast Justin and Zac did with him was also very interesting. It showed me that he's done a lot of odd stuff that's kind of under the radar over the years too, like helping the Japanese with the music on Roujin Z.

Anyway RIP Mr. Macek. He was far, far too young.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Ryw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, can't believe he's gone. I loved his interview on ANNCast.

RIP.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Without Robotech, I might not have become a Macross fan. If I had, it would've been delayed for a long time. The original series and the best (a.k.a. first) third of Robotech has a place on my shelf.

He worked on a lot besides Robotech though and that should definitely be acknowledged and appreciated as well. I'm going to re-listen to the recent ANNCast interview with Mr. Macek and I'd definitely recommend that episode to anyone else. That said, if there are good tributes out there on the net I'm all ears--er, eyes.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
How Horrible! T^T

Even though I'd only heard about him from the podcast, he seemed like a very nice person and contributed a lot to the industry.....

What a downer.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
On a related note, for those interested CPM released a documentary by Eric Bresler on American Anime Fandom "Otaku Unite!" on DVD way back in 2004. They interviewed Carl Macek, and although it's quite short it was also very informative. I found what he said vey interesting at least, probably my favorite part of the DVD. You can watch it legally on Anime Network (although I think u have to be a subscriber). It's still avaible on rightstuf I think too, if you just wanna buy the DVD. It's very dated, but I found it interesting. I just wish they paid less attention to that one anime fan, and more to the people in the industry Sad .

And for more Macek goodness, you can always listen to the podcast episode right here on ANN. I found that episode very interesting, that's a good listen.
Harts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Sad news. RIP.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Carl was a controversial figure as far as US Anime production was concerned, For sure.
He often walked the duality of starting a lot of things for the amine industry and doing things that came off as ether daft or short-sighted.

But Regardless of your personal (or not so personal) feelings for the guy, it is clear that he had a lot to do with getting a lot of us into our little hobby.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Very sad about hearing this.

Robotech was my first introduction to Anime and had a big impact on me. I feel the need to re-read my Robotech Art 1, 2 and 3 books and then marathon the series.

I own all variations for Robotech/Macross thanks to Carl Macek's work. The FHE, and Streamline Perfect VHS, AnimEigo's Macross Collection, ADV's Robotech trilogy and then Mospeada and Southern Cross original.

In fact, this afternoon, my sister was at a used bookstore and called me up to say that there were a bundle of 15 of the Robotech Del Rey novels for $6 if I wanted them. I've lost most of mine due to moves so she bought them for me. I plan on filling in my collection of all the 4 series and reading them this summer.

A great influence has left us. I'm so glad Zac and Justin interviewed him several months ago. That was one of the best interviews ever.

Lance Heiskell
Marketing Director
FUNimation Entertainment
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Venom removed

Dude, he was like the first person to bring uncut anime to America! Even if you don't like Robotech, That's a great thing he did right there!

Hell, the edits he did do, like Robotech, were in the 80s, a time when anime fandom was far from mainstream. Fansubs had to be ordered via catalogs on VHS, and more importantly, you had to already know they were out there, which most people wouldn't have without stuff like Robotech on the air.

I'm sure you'll be gone from this thread soon anyway.

Last edited by Otaku_X on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="Otaku_X"]
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Venom removed

quote]

Apparently, this guy didn't read Zac's warning.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Anime cry

I don't care WHAT people always say about him, he was an integral and important part of this industry's roots! I have always admired his ability to hold his head up high when every other fanboy wastes their spare time demonizing him. Like the one up there, ^. No respect at all, but what can you expect from such people, right? [SHAKES HEAD]

I'll miss him. -_-
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
[quote="Crystal"]
Otaku_X wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Venom removed

quote]

I couldn't even bring myself to fully quote him. Wouldn't want his words to be repeated.

I have long been outspoken agains dubs, especially censored ones, but I recognize their necessity, especially back then. And, honestly, I find Robotech to be highly entertaining, more so than the original serieses it's made of (except Macross 7, though...)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

Page 2 reminder: I will be bouncing people and deleting tasteless or disrespectful comments. Go to some other website if you want to slander the recently passed.

That guy got a month-long ban. I will be less charitable to the next clown.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:

Hell, the edits he did do, like Robotech, were in the 80s, a time when anime fandom was far more mainstream.

Not to mention the fact that the show-combining was done only to reach the magic number of 65 episodes needed for syndication. Macross never would've been able to air on US television by itself due to not having enough episodes to run daily for 13 weeks.

RIP Mr. Macek. You were before my time, but I'm sure your contributions to western anime fandom have effected me in many ways I can't even begin to imagine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9