• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Witchy Woman

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jr0904"]
Reibooi wrote:
though I was susprised that Slayers got the rental shelf. I can agree that the villan was kinda sutpid and way too happy for my taste & for the series but this is slayers after all which never made sense in the old days which is why it was fun to watch.

Didn't you see the first season? spoiler[The big bad nuked an entire [expletive] city with magical powers, killing thousands of people. I would say that is fairly heavy.]
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
For once, I agree 100% with Erin: everyone in the world needs to watch Ran before they die. I would say Redbeard as well, so as to experience the full range of Kurosawa's genius.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The Morning Musume joke was funny, until I realized that I knew enough to know that their "ace" is actually 23 and one of the only ones who is actually a decent idol. Laughing

I'll love Slayers forever but I was on the fence about Yozakura. I think I'll check it out though.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
lkmjr wrote:
Actually, Hetalia characters do have sex. Or at least Greece and Japan do. Just sayin'.

Oops! I only made it halfway through the anime and haven't read the manga yet.

Otaking09 wrote:
As for Yozakura.... If I were to classify it based on what I know, I'd say it's like Kaze no Stigma, where upon it's basically an average show...

Yozakura is a lot higher quality than Kaze no Stigma. My husband liked Yozakura more than I did, but I think I missed the point of the final battle, or I had higher expectations. Noah is really dismissive of most titles, so the fact that Yozakura gets his endorsement is a good sign.

Ranma824 wrote:
Quote:
I could almost deal with this show if the characters were older. Unfortunately, teenagers with low self-esteem get fetishized and I find that offensive.

Seriously, that was the last straw?

It really was. Strike Witches does have high production values and a nice dub. I'm annoyed by all the crotch shots, but I would be way less annoyed if the characters were older.

Reibooi wrote:
Sorry to say that Stirke Witches is pretty easy to look past the fan service. FAR easier then other shows out there that are made of nothing but such. Like Ikkitousen or Queens Blade for example. My point is the show isn't just about fan service. There are a few great scenes and some good characters.

I haven't seen Ikkitousen or Queens Blade. That said, Strike Witches is like a smart kid who suddenly fails a quiz in class; it's made more disappointing by the fact that it sets the bar so high to begin with. It's like the gymnast who gives a great performance at the Olympics and slips up on the dismount - isn't that much sadder than if some average kid falls off the balance beam during practice at the local gym?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope I get better by Wednesday, because April 21st is my birthday. I share my birthday with such diverse celebrities as Queen Elizabeth II, Iggy Pop, and Tony Danza. Just one day earlier and my birthday would fall on the deadly combination of Earth Day and Hitler's birthday.

Guess when my birthday is.... Sieg Heil!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of Francesca, i always figured she was supposed to convey more the personality of a cat rather than a monkey. Didn't really see anything racist there.

/shrug
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
Just one day earlier and my birthday would fall on the deadly combination of Earth Day and Hitler's birthday.

Guess when my birthday is.... Sieg Heil!

Oh yeah, the Columbine shootings were April 20th as well. Also ruining my birthday, Waco and the Oklahoma City bombings were on April 19th. To some extent, Tax Day puts a damper on things.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She also wears a really long scarf like Romana II.

*Whovian fistbump*

It really is a shame about Strike Witches. If it weren't for all the underage camel toe, it sounds like something I might've liked...

I think Slayers Evolution-R will probably make Revolution seem a lot better... It doesn't feel like they were meant to be separate seasons, more like two halves of one season.

And like others have said, the first 8 Slayers novels were published in English. I have them and they're fab. Same stories as the anime, but stuff happens in a different order and with different characters present. It's a fun ride.
connarii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am usually bored out of my skull by anime demons (unless that demon is the Overfiend, who is alarmingly un-boring). Anything with an exorcist character usually has me rolling my eyes. I also hate super heroes as a rule.

...how the $%@# did you get a gig reviewing anime? Fiend! Shocked
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Sorry to say that Stirke Witches is pretty easy to look past the fan service. FAR easier then other shows out there that are made of nothing but such. Like Ikkitousen or Queens Blade for example.

Eh, that's basically damning it with faint praise considering how most anime have less fanservice than those shows do. But as some said in the discussion for the SW review, if roughly half of the series is fanservice then how does one simply act as though it doesn't exist?

I'm surprised Slayers seemed to get such a lukewarm take, but maybe I'll enjoy it more since I've seen the original three series/seasons. I'm not at all enthused about the "pokemon"-esque character, though.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I love Slayers, so I'm sure I'll enjoy Slayers Revolution. In fact, I've been watching Slayers season 1 on weekends. Although I question the pokemon-thingy. Is that necessary.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Oh yeah, the Columbine shootings were April 20th as well.

While no where near as horrible, my birthday is the day the music died.

Quote:
To some extent, Tax Day puts a damper on things.

My birthday is also the birthday of the income tax. Also, the Von Braun started out on her maiden voyage. On a happier note, blacks were given the right to vote.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much avoided Strike Witches because the premise doesn't interest me in the slightest. I know Slayers itself is pretty popular, but it isn't my thing either. Guess I just have different tastes. Very Happy

erinfinnegan wrote:
lkmjr wrote:
Actually, Hetalia characters do have sex. Or at least Greece and Japan do. Just sayin'.

Oops! I only made it halfway through the anime and haven't read the manga yet.

Well, it's more like super-heavily implied sex. Like, nothing is actually shown or outright confirmed, so basically there is always room for someone to say "hei, nothing actually did happen!". The whole ordeal is skirted around in the anime, though, and just depicts Greece and Japan having this strange, slightly awkward friendship. Not to say that any of the characters can't or haven't, though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe I could still deal with Strike Witches, but in one of the later episodes it's revealed that witches start to lose their magic around age 20, just like Morning Musume.

I laughed

EDIT i see i'm not the one only one Smile
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint is whenever I see a Strike Witches logo I'm going to hear that Eagles song in my head. Which is really wrong.... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11