• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Witchy Woman

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Hoo, boy. The second I saw Strike Witches listed on this Shelf Life's sidebar description, I thought, "Batten down the hatches! There's a vicious storm a-brewin'!" As of now, I consider this thread under a Category 5 Shrieking Defensive Otaku watch. Expect hot winds of up to 60 miles per hour.

I actually expected the same reaction myself. Nothing yet, but just wait, its happened before and will likely occur again.

With the exception of Slayers, there wasn't a show I would actually watch. The obvious one for pretty clear reasons and Quarlet because its yet another harem of super powered teenage rebels with all the common stereotypes found in this gene.

Don't say I didn't give a fair warning though.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe I could still deal with Strike Witches, but in one of the later episodes it's revealed that witches start to lose their magic around age 20, just like Morning Musume.

Man, maybe it's because I'm ridiculously tired right now, but I just spent an uncontrollable 2 minutes laughing at this quote. Very well played indeed!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Strike Witches was ok, reminded me of Najica in that the fan service shots are thrown into your face so often you stop noticing.

Here is a thought exercise for all the Strike Witches supporters.
Same story, but reverse the genders, 14-17 year old boys fighting aliens wearing their underwear.... the supposed decent story should be same, and it should be the same quality, right?

It would bomb.

And that tells you all you need to know about the original.

For what its worth, I was more entertained than I thought I would be, but I did not expect anything really.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I could still deal with Strike Witches, but in one of the later episodes it's revealed that witches start to lose their magic around age 20, just like Morning Musume.

Man, maybe it's because I'm ridiculously tired right now, but I just spent an uncontrollable 2 minutes laughing at this quote. Very well played indeed!

If only all the characters were 20 to start with, I'd actually watch this show. Now that would be an interesting show that actually be much better if the all the characters were 18 or older.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
Hoo, boy. The second I saw Strike Witches listed on this Shelf Life's sidebar description, I thought, "Batten down the hatches! There's a vicious storm a-brewin'!" As of now, I consider this thread under a Category 5 Shrieking Defensive Otaku watch. Expect hot winds of up to 60 miles per hour.

I actually expected the same reaction myself. Nothing yet, but just wait, its happened before and will likely occur again.

I think everyone is tired of defending it. Or even talking about it, I guess. Many of us enjoyed it, this thread already has 2-3 posts trying to bait people, or just so they can reply with an eyeroll and say "I told you so! Otaku fanbois ranting!" (but then again, it could very easily fall into that. -_-)

Anywho, my only bone to pick was with:

"They aren't anthropomorphic personifications but they are representatives. Charlotte, the American, has the largest breasts. Francesca, from "Romagna", is the darker-skinned character who sleeps in the trees."

Not sure if it's what you meant by representatives, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but they are all based on WWII fighter aces. Charlotte is based on Chuck Yeager and Francesca is based on Franco Lucchini.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Strike_Witches_characters

Some other interesting stuff about the planes their striker units are based on and the weaponry they use.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Strike Witches was ok, reminded me of Najica in that the fan service shots are thrown into your face so often you stop noticing.

Here is a thought exercise for all the Strike Witches supporters.
Same story, but reverse the genders, 14-17 year old boys fighting aliens wearing their underwear.... the supposed decent story should be same, and it should be the same quality, right?

It would bomb.

And that tells you all you need to know about the original.

For what its worth, I was more entertained than I thought I would be, but I did not expect anything really.

I wouldn't be so hasty. It would probably be quite popular with the Fujoshi crowd, especially with the ongoing "rekijo" (history fangirls) trend.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

I wouldn't be so hasty. It would probably be quite popular with the Fujoshi crowd, especially with the ongoing "rekijo" (history fangirls) trend.

Hmmm, I wonder what they'll say about it. Rolling Eyes Shocked
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, when the witches activate their magic, they grow animal ears and tails. I got in trouble in my Spice and Wolf review for saying Holo may be of interest to furries. I didn't realize "nekomimi" was a thing. The Strike Witches are definitely nekomimi.

Just to be anal, aren't less than half of them technically "nekomimi"? I think the nekomimi girls are outnumbered by the inumimi, certainly if you expand "inu" to include fox and wolf instead of just dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Quote:
Also, when the witches activate their magic, they grow animal ears and tails. I got in trouble in my Spice and Wolf review for saying Holo may be of interest to furries. I didn't realize "nekomimi" was a thing. The Strike Witches are definitely nekomimi.

Just to be anal, aren't less than half of them technically "nekomimi"? I think the nekomimi girls are outnumbered by the inumimi, certainly if you expand "inu" to include fox and wolf instead of just dogs.

Isn't it "kemonomimi" when referring to any animal, too? Like, "nekomimi" is with cat, "inumimi" with dog, etc.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...each character represents a different country. They aren't anthropomorphic personifications

Actually the girls are in part anthropomorphic personifications of WW2 fighter planes and their names are references to the war pilots that flew them. Charlotte Yeager being the most obvious reference- to Charles "Chuck" Yeager, the first man to officially pass Mach 1 in a jet... and you notice she get's rabbit ears, because she's fast. Ha.

I'm happy with this review, it evens out Richard's too high "A-" main page review.

But I'm not going to defend of villify the show, it's all been done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

though I was susprised that Slayers got the rental shelf. I can agree that the villan was kinda sutpid and way too happy for my taste & for the series but this is slayers after all which never made sense in the old days which is why it was fun to watch.

Didn't you see the first season? spoiler[The big bad nuked an entire [expletive] city with magical powers, killing thousands of people. I would say that is fairly heavy.]

I actually watched that epsiode when it showed on the International Channel years ago, which is probably why they went with that ending. though that half tiger was a average villian but for a comedy series, it was way too happy though I agree season one was a real killer.

Either way , I hope that season two of strike witches hopefully will get a decent review on shelf life cause I heard it had less of the loli fanservice. but for a fanservice series it really does have a preety decent storyline since popotan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

I didn't mind Najica as much... except for the under-aged characters.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:

It would be gross shotacon! You know what I don't want to see? Super-close up on some 14-year-old boy's perineum! It would obviously be sexier to zoom in somewhere better, like on men's happy trails. (SFW)

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If only all the characters were 20 to start with, I'd actually watch this show. Now that would be an interesting show that actually be much better if the all the characters were 18 or older.

Even with all the fanservice, it would still be a better show if the characters were 18 and up. Hell, 16 and up would be an improvement. Or if you took away all the fanservice and kept them the same age, I'd accept it. The Eva pilots were quite young...
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I don't find the fanservice in Strike Witches weird at all. It really doesn't take away from the show at all for me.

I mean, I even find Yoshika's little fascination with large breasts cute, since she's not used to seeing them that big due to living in Fuso.

Fanservice aside, I really felt attached to these characters, and I love their personalities. Not to mention the story it had going at the end was great, and pretty touching in some regards.

I was hoping this would at least get Rental Shelf when it showed up in Shelf Life, so I was a bit sad to see it end up in Perishable. But I guess it can't be helped, it's Erin's opinion and it's her column to write. I just don't agree with it because my opinion on the series is so entirely different...

Reviewing is interesting because people's perspectives are always different. So I suppose if you're looking into a title based on reviews, it'd be best to read both positive and negative reviews to see where your thoughts fall into place and whether you want to pursue the title. I guess in this regard, ANN has succeeded in offering both perspectives, Richard's for positive, and Erin's for negative.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
My birthday:

1252 – Pope Innocent IV issues the papal bull ad exstirpanda, which authorizes, but also limits, the torture of heretics in the Medieval Inquisition.

1525 – The battle of Frankenhausen ends the Peasants' War.

1850 – The Bloody Island Massacre takes place in Lake County, CA, in which a large number of Pomo Indians in Lake County were slaughtered by a regiment of the United States Calvary, led by Nathaniel Lyon.

1974 – Ma'alot massacre: In an Arab terrorist attack and hostage taking at an Israeli school, a total of 31 people are killed, including 22 schoolchidren.

Look far enough and everyone has had awful stuff happen on their birthday.

Meanwhile... *sigh* still nothing that looks like anything I want to buy! Ah well, Carl just confirmed that I need to get the rest of Pluto, so Urasawa is still going to be using up my pocket money for a while.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
and you notice she get's rabbit ears, because she's fast. Ha.

More likely the "USA = usagi" thing. USAmericans are often represented as anthropomorphized rabbits in anime/manga (ex: Apocalypse Meow).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11