• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mulrich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Regarding that video:

OH $deity, WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYY?! WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??!!!!
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I agree as well that there is nothing like holding a actual book in your hand. I have tried reading Marvel's Digital comics but I had to do too much zooming in and out on the panels and that got annoying. Also with digital there is the fact that if it gets deleted you have to re buy it and if the device gets full you will have to buy a new one.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
As for Nodame Cantibile, I thought they already had an English dub picked out already!

There is an existing Animax-Asia dub. Doubt it'd be reused in the event of an R1 license, though.
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but that is the CREEPIEST video I have ever seen. There is something just amazingly uncomfortable about the unmoving face bowlign and sitting and *shudder* I'm gonna have nightmares now.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I'm a 35-year-old who wishes she had a way to attend a con. Living in the Seattle area, there is a con close by, and a big one at that (Sakura-Con).

Unfortunately for me, the past two years, the convention has been scheduled on Easter weekend. As a parent with young kids, I'm ot able to get away from home that weekend to go. That weekend is family time at our house, especially with kids still young enough to believe in a certain bunny.

If Sakura-Con is always scheduled Easter weekend, then I'm basically screwed until my kids are older. Razz

You're basically screwed.

I attend Sakura-Con regularly, and after this year's con, a thread pooped on their fourm boards that explains the date choice pretty well- in short, they save literally millions of dollars by booking over a holiday, and badges would be triple-digit priced otherwise.

On the plus side, they've also been expanding their family-friendly programming over the last few years as well. If your kids are old enough to think cosplay sounds fun (they'd be a hit, the little ones always are), you might consider bringing them anyway- at least for one or two days. Tell them the bunny needs extra time to hide the eggs this year, so you'll hunt them in the afternoon. Wink
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I kind of had a feeling that would be the case. And the reasoning for scheduling at that time does make sense.

My oldest is 12, and she actually has an interest in anime and manga. However, my husband and I would be more inclined to want to go to the industry panels and the dealers, and my 12-year-old would think it was boring. My 9-year-old would probably be similar. My biggest concern would be my 5-year-old. She has a natural curiosity and very grabby little hands, and I would shudder to think of what would happen if she was grabbing at things she shouldn't be (especially in the dealers area).

I have a great example of my little one's grabby hands from a post I made in one of my blogs just a little ove a year ago. I'm going to quote from the blog:

"Then, we went into the FYE to look in their anime section. I spotted the Voltron Volume 7 DVD box set, and it was marked on sale (down to $29.99 from $32). We decided to go ahead and pick it up... and it turned out that when it was rung up at the register, it came up at *$19.99*, which was a nice surprise. However, before we had that pleasant surprise, I experienced a bit of misfortune. While Dan was browsing the anime section (after we decided to pick up Voltron Volume 7), the kids and I were kneeling down to look at a display of some Pokemon plush and Pokemon ornaments. On the next shelf over was a display of Pocky. Unfortunately the shelves they were on weren't secured. When Sara was trying to stand herself back up, she grabbed at the shelf of Pocky before I could stop her, and she knocked the whole shelf off... dumping ALL of the Pocky on me in the process. Razz I was yelling at Emily to get Dan, because I could not get up without potentially damaging any of the Pocky boxes. Dan came over, helped extricate me from the mess, and we worked at fixing the display. We got the shelf put back up, and then put all the boxes of Pocky back on the shelf as best we could. On the one hand, I was glad an employee never came over, because that would have been rather embarrassing. On the other, it was a little disturbing to realize how unattentive the staff was (especially with how much noise Dan said I was making). Luckily, it wasn't something more serious that happened!"

Also, Sakura-Con really is something I'd rather do without the kids underfoot. If we took the kids, we would be spending more time trying to keep an eye on them and keeping them out of trouble than we would actually being able to enjoy the experience. So, it looks like I'll be waiting until the youngest is a little older...

I almost forgot to mention that I have a friend at church who is in her early 20's who has gone to Sakura-Con the past couple of years. I've seen the pictures she's posted on her Facebook account of some of the cosplay, and it does look rather neat. Last year, my friend and some of her friends dressed up as Inuyasha characters (my friend was Kikyo).

DuelLadyS wrote:
You're basically screwed.

I attend Sakura-Con regularly, and after this year's con, a thread pooped on their fourm boards that explains the date choice pretty well- in short, they save literally millions of dollars by booking over a holiday, and badges would be triple-digit priced otherwise.

On the plus side, they've also been expanding their family-friendly programming over the last few years as well. If your kids are old enough to think cosplay sounds fun (they'd be a hit, the little ones always are), you might consider bringing them anyway- at least for one or two days. Tell them the bunny needs extra time to hide the eggs this year, so you'll hunt them in the afternoon. Wink

Last edited by ljaesch on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding out hope for manga on eReaders like the iPad, but I'll wait to see what releases for the device (in the same way I'm hoping it develops into a digital sketchpad - but not holding my breath.)

As for cons, I didn't start attending until I was 23 and by 24, I already began to feel old at cons, bored, and a little disappointed that there didn't seem to be more people my age or older there to interact with. I still go for the panels and workshops and the like, but this will be the first year in four that I don't attend Otakon.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good, the same question. Maybe my answer can be printed next week. Or maybe not, considering my answers were recently picked twice. When I saw that video, I felt like a murderer with the same mask was standing behind me
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ushicon in the Austin, TX area is limited to 18+
http://www.ushicon.com

Up in the Northeast, Providence Anime Conference "was" 21+
http://providenceanime.com/
(I say "was" because they don't appear to be attempting another one right now, presumably because turnout was low at the first one)

Other than that, I don't know of any anime conventions in the US that restrict by age. I know there's always talk of a Hentai convention, but I dunno that it's ever happened or planned to happen "officially".
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
26 today, and still going to OMGCon in Paducah (June 11-13). Why waste a perfectly good combination of paid and scheduled time off? Laughing

It's an all-ages con, but some of the panels and anime viewings are age-restricted (last year's highlight of age-restricted goodness: THE HENTAI PANEL! - 17+ because no images were shown; the viewing of Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne at E'villecon, run by many of the same folks, was restricted to 17+, if I recall correctly).

It's a relatively small convention, and good times are had by all, except for my wallet, which refuses to speak to me for a month afterwards.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
The last time I was scared on the internet was three years ago and the maze game was the culprit. The video Brian had on there scared the crap out of me. I know what kigurumi are, but I was not expecting that to be the video. Not to mention my headphones were all the way up.

I'm gonna have a hard time going to sleep tonight.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Very interesting topic we've got here.

I'm 24, and I don't feel out of place when I attend anime conventions due to age. At the bigger ones out here in CA like AnimeExpo, FanimeCon, and San Diego Comic Con it's pretty easy to blend in and not attract attention, though the latter isn't really an anime con so you find anyone and everyone there. At the smaller ones like SacAnime and Animation on Display, I'm more often feeling "bored" because there aren't industry panels nor card game tournaments to attend, and you can only walk the dealer's hall enough times. I'm usually going to meet the guests anyway.

Granted as Brian mentioned, many of the cons are teenage party weekends, and I don't really view them as such, so it's a much different take on the trip. It's more: play card games, meet up with friends, meet guests/autographs, go shopping, and industry panels.

Then again, being Asian and extremely short, I can pass at my high school I teach at as a student, so that probably helps too. I'm a "kid" at heart (as many of us with interest in anime), so I don't find any reason not to get away for a weekend and be a kid again. Maybe teenage party weekend... in a different sense. More of a "nerdy" getaway weekend.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Very interesting topic we've got here.

I'm 24, and I don't feel out of place when I attend anime conventions due to age. At the bigger ones out here in CA like AnimeExpo, FanimeCon, and San Diego Comic Con it's pretty easy to blend in and not attract attention, though the latter isn't really an anime con so you find anyone and everyone there. At the smaller ones like SacAnime and Animation on Display, I'm more often feeling "bored" because there aren't industry panels nor card game tournaments to attend, and you can only walk the dealer's hall enough times. I'm usually going to meet the guests anyway.

I know what you mean dude (its me,toddx77 from the funi boards by the way lol) back in 2007 my friend and I wwent to sac anime and it was our first con and we were board as well. All we really did was stay in the dealers room. So basically we paid $20 to go into a room and pay more money. Spike Spencer was there but that was the highlight. I did find it intersting but not what I thought. This year I plan to go to a con and being 22 I'm not worried about the age difference.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With all these E-Readers like Kindle and the iPad coming out I was wondering why more manga companies aren't releasing some of their titles on them?

Because, for the price of a Kindle, I can buy a ton of manga instead? And because reading books isn't the same thing as listening to an iPod? I'm guessing the Japanese are willing to adapt to that kind of technology for the same reason that they were more willing to go for the SACD: They like shiny, expensive electronic devices even more than we do. [See the Neo Geo. Wink ] That's why they're also willing to continue to pay insane prices for certain Blu-Ray titles, while we can't tell the difference between BD and DVD.

As for Nodame not being licensed, it's also the music culture here versus Japan. We currently "like" this stuff, while they still have an ear for the classics.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
I attended my first con this year. It was a small general sci-fi/fantasy con, but included a cosplay competition. There was a good range of ages attending the con, but when I went to see the cosplay, it was mostly teens. I and my friend were both stuck up the front, feeling increasingly uncomfortable, partly because of the extremely hot lights, and partly because we're both around 40.

This forum has a good age range, and it would be nice to meet with a group IRL to talk about anime and not feel like I've time-warped back to high school.

I think the reason anime fandom at cons is so young is due to how recent a phenomenon it is overall. Science fiction and fantasy fandom have been around for maybe a century. Anime has only developed a substantial Western fanbase in the last 15 years. If we oldies hold our nerve and don't forsake 'teh animes', eventually we'll see a broader age range at the cons, just as with the other geek pasttimes.

In the meantime, as pointed out above, there are broader-based cons that include an anime component, where those of us with grey hairs will stand a better chance of fitting in. And actually, if we want to attract more people to the fanbase, then scifi, fantasy and comic cons are an obvious place to recruit, and showing a broader age-range will in turn make anime more attractive to older people.

I don't see why Nodame Cantabile would be such a risky proposition - it seems to me to have a good central appeal, including a lot of facets without going to extremes. Season 1 anyway should do pretty well (I'm sure it'll do well with ANN forum members), and if it does sell, there are soundtrack albums to licence, OR US distributors could maybe save money by licensing cheap recordings of classical music from entities like Point Classics, and sell them under the Nodame Cantabile banner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5