• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-04-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
I'm in my early twenties and I'm already feeling a bit out of place at Dutch conventions. Though at Dutch conventions there is a very easy solution for that. Don't go as a regular visitor, help run the convention, go as a dealer or whatever. If I'm not a dealer, I'm probably running an amigurimi/kumihimo workshop together with some other people.

The younger visitors won't think you're weird if you do something cool and act your age. There is nothing as creepy as an older adult who thinks (s)he is still a teenager and dresses like it as well. Seriously, if you're 40 and severely overweight, don't go running around in a schoolgirls' uniform.

Last weekend I went to a regular comic convention and it was the other way around. There were around 100 visitors. 95% was male. 80% was (or appeared to be) over 30. There were 8 children (2 female). Most of the adults were overweight. Several were so fat they had to sit down while waiting for a simple drawing. It was a sad, sad little comic convention... Luckily I could hang out with some small press/doujinshi people my age (and gender), so it wasn't a waste of time.
RenTers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Now I feel young for writing a post in this topic, being only 21 myself. But I do feel proud for attending the San Diego Comic-Con for the past 5 years, almost instantly after landing a part-time job at age 16. Even then I never went for the social atmosphere, I just loved being in the dealers room. The crowds, the merchandise, the warm feeling of a convention. Going to discussion panels is a great feeling as well. Taking part in the discussions of the subjects you love, it gives a sense of fulfillment. It lets you say you've done something worthwhile in this year's convention. As far as volunteering goes, I never go for it. I sometimes feel a bit scared that I might out on something the day I actually decide to volunteer.

As for the Flake of the Week, I don't know which is worse. The e-mail itself, or that Youtube video.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
At NDK down here in Colorado there are usually plenty of older people around. I was 23/24 when I went last year (yes, I spent my birthday at an anime convention, and it will be the same this year...) and went by myself and had no problem "blending in". Kinda wish I bought my DS with me for some of the longer lines, but I know to do that this year. Though last year I was the "scout" to see if the con was any good and worth going to, and this year I am bringing a mob of my friends (all my age +- 3 years) so it will likely be even more interesting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
I went to a con once back in '02. I felt like someones parent at a high school party. Scared the bloody 'ell out of me. I avoided them like the pox up until last year when I went to a small con to see Ocean Waves last Summer. That was at a university so the fans were a bit older and anyway I had me two teenagers with me so I had a good reason. Having your own kids comes in real handy at times like that. Wink

That Youtube video; Just when I think I've seen it all I find I haven't. That had to be in Japan because everyone else on the other lanes paid absolutely no attention to...um...her...it...whatever. Confused Shocked
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey Brian, I've been waiting for 2 decades for you to uncensor my copy of Frustrated Frantic and Female! When are you going to get that done?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
As a...let's just say post-mid-thirties individual, I do feel like I'm on the far end of the bell curve when it comes to the ages of con goers. I went to Fanime last year and felt somewhat out of place, although I don't really look my age. At the same time, I find that as long as you aren't acting creepy, most people don't give you a second look. I like seeing people in costumes and such, but there's a difference between admiring and leering.

Hint: Don't leer. And really, if you're over 30 and guy, stay out of the maid cafe.

Also, yes, people skewed young and were having fun, but none of it seemed obnoxious to me. Silly at times, for sure, but I saw it as a good time being had by all. Mind you, I didn't stay in the hotel that night like I had originally planned...my opinion my have turned out to be very different if I had.

But I think it has more to do with how you act and your attitude as opposed to your age. If you want those darn kids to get off your anime lawn and act their age (although they are) you may want to do something else that weekend, or at least just go on the last day when everything is winding down.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
As for manga in electronic form many people whose postings I read online seem to want it for free and would not be buyers. DRM is a key point here as publishers need protection from illegal downloading and posting. Another issue is backups of reading devices, the iPad has an advantage with this as it backs up to your computer, also the iPad has color with other readers do not.

For 'older' folks attending cons: Just this morning I was talking with a co-worker who is in his 30s and is thinking about attending Fanime for the first time. (He was asking about my panel schedule which is probably still in flux)

I mentioned that the percentage of teens is high but there are plenty of people in their 20s and older as many con regulars are getting older.

For me age has never been a problem, and I'll be 59 soon. Of course the only thing that may be perceived as creepy by a teen is the interest I may show in their mother (grin). For me being a fan is fandom, age has little or nothing to do with it and I can converse with all ages on titles I enjoy.

If you go to Fanime I hope to see you in the audience for my panels, there will be one panel for 18 and older only as I'll be discussing things like @&%#! and @^%$ in anime and manga.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
At 23, I never feel out of place at cons.

Though usually I treat a convention as a shopping trip + industry info... and i'm usually done by 11pm (unless there's an 18+ VA panel), but when I wait in line for autographs and the like, I never have a problem mingling with the other fans.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I am 23 and I love going to cons. Older folks need to walk into a con like they OWN the place. Just do like what you have done; talk with your P.I.C., meet new people and just have a blast. It's the younger once that think in the "pedo sence" that need their head examined. Yes there can be some creepos at cons but they need to judge before they cast a lable on us older con goers. I was wearing a Chelsea FC jersey and went into Anime Boston on 4/3 with my friends. Does that signal "DON'T GO NEAR HIM HE'S A PEDO!"? No. Its the ones that look scetchy that are an issue, although I have not seen a sketchy con goer since I have been going but I don't look for them, I just have fun.

As the Answerfans I want to be a CPA in the future so the financial end of the industry would be a great job for me.
hollowmoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Brian wrote:
Don't worry about the hazy stares from the younger kids, because they are lame and nobody likes them.

Not sure why, but that line had me in stitches.

Because it's so very true, and when those kids grow up, they're gonna realize they can't stand teenagers either.

Speaking as a 30 year old woman who still cosplays, if you enjoy it, do it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I never noticed any teen partying at Otakon the two times I went. But then, I was too busy tracking down silly anime swag to notice much else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redheadkitten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I'm a 35-year-old who wishes she had a way to attend a con. Living in the Seattle area, there is a con close by, and a big one at that (Sakura-Con).

Unfortunately for me, the past two years, the convention has been scheduled on Easter weekend. As a parent with young kids, I'm ot able to get away from home that weekend to go. That weekend is family time at our house, especially with kids still young enough to believe in a certain bunny.

If Sakura-Con is always scheduled Easter weekend, then I'm basically screwed until my kids are older. Razz

Have you through about taking the kids/family anyway? I don't know if your significant other is really into anime and stuff, but I always think its really cute when families with young kids show up.

Especially if the kids cosplay too. (And the babies cosplay as moogles :3)
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
For the older crowd I suggest Gen Con Indy. While not being an anime only con it's got a lot to offer. Located in the Westin hotel, they use 8 or 9 medium sized meeting rooms and the hallway. There is a manga library and in the hallway they have tables set up for folks who want to display art. The other rooms are used to show anime, usually 4 episodes from a serires, from about 8am to mid. Sat night they pack a large room full of drunk and rowdy geeks for hentai dubbing. Never attended, but it always gets rave reviews. Cosplay is not huge but you'll see a few of the kids walking around. In fact it was at Gen Con in 08 that I re-discovered anime. When its closer to August the GenCon website will post what will be aired and when. So if you are in the neighborhood its worth a look.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
I'm 28 and I still have not been to a Con. I know many people who are about 1.5 times my age who go to cons, but they all meet up together. So if they look like creepy old men, they do it together!

Some of them are married anyway, so some have wives who are cool with coming to the cons, or are fans on their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Lots of good stuff this week.

@eReaders
I'm not sold on the idea yet, personally. Not because of any "nostalgia" or comfort level with real books but mostly the cost of the devices themselves and proprietary format support/limitations. I think things will move in the direction of a more open format (or multi-format support) as cheaper players are introduced over time but I would agree, in a rare occurrence with the publishing side, that the time is just not right.

@Age at Conventions
As anime has increased in popularity over the last ten years branching into younger age demographics, over the past five years, there has been a seeming alienation of "older" (mid-twenties plus) fans at conventions. I personally think it is dependent on the type of convention, just like the types of events you're going to find at different conventions.

To the original questioner, if you didn't feel right at LocalSmallCon, then maybe LocalSmallCon wasn't right for you. Having fun at a convention as an individual (or your group of friends) can be equally effected by the other attendees as it can by the folks organizing, planning and staffing the convention. I would recommend checking out other conventions to see if there is one that is a better fit for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5