• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: President of NIS Sohei Niikawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I refuse to pay more than 29.99 for sub-only anime. Not now, not ever. And no amount of ludicrously large cardboard boxes, hard-bound yet wafer-thin art books filled with screenshots, or pickle-shaped stress dolls is gonna change that. Confused

Well it's a good thing then that their non-premium edition DVDs are only about $30 then. Rolling Eyes
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm Reply with quote
NIS is one of my favorite companies too. I don't own all that much from them compared to other distributors, but I absolutely love their artboxes and hard cover books for their LEs. I only own Toradora, Occult Academy, anohana, Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up, and Bunny Drop from them so far. I own those in LE form. I still need to pick up Arakawa Under the Bridge, it's sequel series, and Zakuro sometime soon and will definitely be getting Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl when it comes out. NIS has by far the best LEs in the market in my opinion.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
i only have Anohana, but i plan to buy more when i am able
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
very, very nice interview indeed NIS is one my all time favorite game companies of all time. This is due in part of such games as rhapsody, disgaea, makai kingdom, phantom brave, la pucell tactics etc.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Still won't buy from them unless they either start dubbing their anime or they lower their price.

I refuse to pay more than 29.99 for sub-only anime. Not now, not ever. And no amount of ludicrously large cardboard boxes, hard-bound yet wafer-thin art books filled with screenshots, or pickle-shaped stress dolls is gonna change that. Confused

Then just stream their shows on crunchy roll then, hell it's only 7 dollars month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

Future: potentially angling for Arakawa, and Usagi Drop for Christmas Wink

Arakawa season 2 is only 29.99 on right stuff right now. Nows a perfect time to experience Shaft's wierdness Wink It is the only NIS anime i currently have, but I want to get Bunny Drop and Pandora Hearts soon.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sohei Niikawa wrote:
I believe that NIS and NIS America are going to be able to present way more cool titles from now on, and we just want all of our fans to support us, just look out for all the good news.

That's fantastic! Now get Valkyria Chronicles 3 over here, already. Sega's not gonna do, since they're a bunch of idiots. (But I still love Sonic)
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks ANN for posting this interview and giving more insight into one of my favorite companies.
Dubs can be good sometimes (and laughably bad also), but I'd rather spend extra money on something that I can't just torrent online, and the physical art boxes and books with NISA's releases are a great example.

And having to add dubs almost always causes releases to take longer to come out. NISA has released shows exactly a year after the Japanese release (i.e Usagi Drop and Ano Hana) instead of twice that amount of time.

It's hard to understand what a NISA release is really like when someone doesn't even own one. So to anyone who hasn't bought an NISA release and is talking crap about them, your words mean nothing. It's like a person who doesn't have the sense of taste saying how stupid it is to taste food. If you don't have it, then you have nothing to back up your lame excuses of why you won't support them. Btw, Shana season 2 has an SRP of $135 for 24 episodes. Natsume has an SRP of $70 for 26 episodes and a premium package. Imagine how much money you could save on Shana if it wasn't dubbed.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
All NISA releases are instant buys for me.
I have not been disappointed yet.

The deep Ikea shelving unit almost seems like it was tailor made for their releases.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad we still have NIS, a Japanese company that still makes Japanese games. So sick of the current trend of Japanese companies trying to emulate Western style games. Square Enix shouldn't be turning Final Fantasy into action RPGs. Not every RPG has to be Skyrim, the chances of achieving that are too low to try.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'd give an arm and a leg for the Toradora Premium editions volumes 1 and 2. A few years ago when I was newbie anime fan I was a much more frugal buyer and only decided to go with the regular editions. Biggest regret yet.

KentaMaeba wrote:
Sohei Niikawa wrote:
I believe that NIS and NIS America are going to be able to present way more cool titles from now on, and we just want all of our fans to support us, just look out for all the good news.

That's fantastic! Now get Valkyria Chronicles 3 over here, already. Sega's not gonna do, since they're a bunch of idiots. (But I still love Sonic)

Yea I would love to play VC3, the 2nd one was kinda meh, it just didn't take itself as seriously as the first one so I didn't take it as seriously. The plot for 3 looks way more badass and dark, which is what the series needs. A game about the toils and spoils of war should be much darker.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Spreading more NISA love here! Love the games and the new style of game premium editions in those pretty art boxes Smile The large boxes were nice of the few that they put out, but bulky (and always scared I'll rip the box when I open them up Anime hyper)

Only own a few of their animes, and always the more obscure ones (Persona, Fox Deity, Katanagatari), still a couple more I need though! Should pick up soon after my budget comes back so I can get them before they sell out. Drool worthy boxes for a great price...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
I'd give an arm and a leg for the Toradora Premium editions volumes 1 and 2. A few years ago when I was newbie anime fan I was a much more frugal buyer and only decided to go with the regular editions. Biggest regret yet.

KentaMaeba wrote:
Sohei Niikawa wrote:

Yea I would love to play VC3, the 2nd one was kinda meh, it just didn't take itself as seriously as the first one so I didn't take it as seriously. The plot for 3 looks way more badass and dark, which is what the series needs. A game about the toils and spoils of war should be much darker.

I highly doubt there is chance of nisa doing VC3 either, with 2 flagship franchises that haven't been localized yet since they are on the psp. Well all know good and well that that psp is going to be officially dead next year with game-stop pulling the plug on used games as well, it's over for the psp here just pull the damn life support and let the system die.

Now on to the unlicensed games, first up is la pucelle ragnarok that has ton of extra features much like the psp/wii port of phantom brave did with Prier having to fight against her overlord self, dlc with disgaea characters etc. Now the second game is makai kingdom portable that again has more extra features and extra scenarios that include overlord zetta daughter Petta "much like etna's own quest in disgea"

If you really want to see VC3 localized that badly I would take it up with xseed or aksys since they are still willing to do physical/psn releases of psp games, however I highly doubt that will happen either.
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/24/no-nis-america-will-not-be-publishing-la-pucelle-ragnarok/

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ tuxedocat - your post warmed the cockles of my stony, dark heart, fellow NISA-lover. I intend to own a Premium Edition copy of every title NISA puts out.

My hubby tells me I'm a really good cockle warmer.

in a non-pervy way.

usually. Embarassed

moving on now.... You certainly have me beat in the purchases. There are a few NISA shows that I didn't buy. I thought about it, but some shows are not really for me. Overall though, I think NISA make wonderful licensing choices. People to whom I show the premium sets are always impressed. Once you have one of these sets in your hands, you can see how nice they are.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Its a shame that Funimation didn't get there hands on Anohana. It would of benefited greatly from a dub but sadly that wasn't meant to be but I can't say I'm a huge fan of NIS but I certainly don't hate them. I just wish they would dub more of there titles but its understandable that they aren't in that type of market.
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
It's hard to understand what a NISA release is really like when someone doesn't even own one. So to anyone who hasn't bought an NISA release and is talking crap about them, your words mean nothing.

I dunno. It's more that people dismiss what doesn't interest them. To someone who's only interested in the video (and/or dub), a lavish box is so much wrapping that gets in the way and drives up the price on the core product that they do want. They "understand what a NISA release is really like", but the extras are not something they value. Unfortunately, a great many people express that lack of interest with a broadly negative assessment of Fail that may prompt those who value the bonus bits to take umbrage and in turn dismiss them as ignorant gits. Everyone ends up looking less than their best.

Just ordered both sets of Katanagatari at RS, thanks to the raves here. You monsters. Have to make space next to Five Leaves, Bunny Drop, and Natsume. Must also find time to watch ridiculous amount of anime that's queued on my shelves. Recent birthday milestone reminds me that I'm not getting any younger.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4