• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: President of NIS Sohei Niikawa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Its a shame that Funimation didn't get there hands on Anohana. It would of benefited greatly from a dub but sadly that wasn't meant to be but I can't say I'm a huge fan of NIS but I certainly don't hate them. I just wish they would dub more of there titles but its understandable that they aren't in that type of market.

Yeah, they are not in the boobs and senseless action crap Funimation is. I do not have anything against FUNi, but just because they dub almost everything it does not make them a better company automatically.

I do not have anything against dubs, but I think that not supporting sub-only companies like NISA is missing in great quality titles like AnoHana, Bunny Drop and Toradora!

This is how I would rank the anime distributors in R1:
1. Sentai - they have a great selection of titles for almost all tastes
2. NISA - they have few titles but are of high quality
3. Funimation - they have some good titles but lately seem to pick up only mediocre shows
4. Aniplex of America - they have few high quality licenses so far

* Notice how dubs are a non factor in this ranking. Sure they are nice, WHEN THEY ARE GOOD, but not a priority. If for a medical reason you cannot watch subs, I apologize.
Anden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
While I can respect their business model, it still sucks on my end. (Poor college student that really shouldn't be trying to be buying anime.) As long as everyone's happy, I have no reason to complain though. I just hope NISA is still around when I graduate so I can buy some of their nicer titles.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Yeah, they are not in the boobs and senseless action crap Funimation is. I do not have anything against FUNi, but just because they dub almost everything it does not make them a better company automatically.

well, if that's what people are buying the most and then why not?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

well, if that's what people are buying the most and then why not?

I am stating my opinion; no need to get defensive about it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
i wasnt being defensive
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Still won't buy from them unless they either start dubbing their anime or they lower their price.

I refuse to pay more than 29.99 for sub-only anime. Not now, not ever. And no amount of ludicrously large cardboard boxes, hard-bound yet wafer-thin art books filled with screenshots, or pickle-shaped stress dolls is gonna change that. Confused

I love what NIS America brings to the table. I think their prices are fair, you can get their standard editions. Companies have to set a certain price point to make profit. I think limited editions are the best way to market titles. It gets me to pre-order instead of waiting for a sale. My favorite thing about NIS America is the fact that they're the only company that actively releases sub only blu-rays for anime. The thing I hate the most is a sub only dvd when the anime is hd native. By the way, I'm subscribed to your youtube channel. Very Happy
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
NIS America Announces NATSUME'S BOOK OF FRIENDS, Season 3 for Mar. 2013

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

And on blu-ray to boot!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Season 4 in July!!

...Can we get the first two seasons on BD too, pretty please?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Is there another reason why they are the biggest anime distributor outside of Japan then? Wink
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Is there another reason why they are the biggest anime distributor outside of Japan then? Wink

They never where until genon usa and adv films went under and scooped up all of their old titles making them huge while sentai had a chance to restructure it's self?? Also didn't funimaiton only have dragon ball z, one piece, shuffle and few other titles before the collapse of 08?

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

They never where until genon usa and adv films went under and scooped up all of their old titles making them huge while sentai had a chance to restructure it's self?? Also didn't funimaiton only have dragon ball z, one piece, shuffle and few other titles before the collapse?
Mighty oaks, from little acorns, grow. Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

They never where until genon usa and adv films went under and scooped up all of their old titles making them huge while sentai had a chance to restructure it's self?? Also didn't funimaiton only have dragon ball z, one piece, shuffle and few other titles before the collapse of 08?

They had quite a lot of titles, several of them hugely successful like FMA. Quantity means nothing unless those shows sell well. Geneon is gone and ADV became Sentai because both companies tended to license shows without figuring out if they could pay back their money. Geneon licensed series because previous series lost money so they needed to make a profit on the new title. The result is that they overpaid for everything.

Look at how Del Rey and ADV entered the manga business, Del Rey carefully chose their titles that they knew were going to make a profit, while ADV manga just randomly licensed manga because they wanted to challenge Viz as the leader in manga right off the bat. ADV licensed a ton of manga from Mag Garden that were sequels to manga that had been left unlicensed. The result is that Del Rey manga launch was a huge success with Negima being a huge hit while ADV manga floundered because the successful manga like Azumanga Daioh couldnt cover all the flops because Viz can release a ton of manga because its owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
This guy is way too serious, especially his answer about Prinny. Come on man!
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I seem to have ended up with a good deal more NIS releases than I initially thought I would. And since I don't want to miss out on the "list your NIS collection" club, here's mine. (From favorite to least favorite.)

Bunny Drop - Only flaw I can think of is that it could have contained a few more episodes. There was more manga material to go by.
Natsume's Book of Friends - Excellent stuff, and a great manga conversion. (I really hate episode 5 of the first season, though. What the hell were they thinking when they made that?)
House of Five Leaves - This one really should have gotten a Bluray edition, because the art is amazing. (Background art, that is.)
Wagnaria!! - Surprisingly fun, all things considered.
ToraDora - Was kind of lukewarm about it at first, but it has grown on me considerably.
Zakuro - Good core idea. Wish they didn't run the tsundere personality on Zakuro so hard, though.
Ano Hana - Generally nice show, but some of the elements kind of got on my nerves.
Our Home's Fox Deity - Nice art, ass animation. Nice core idea and some nice episode plots (particularly regarding the Byakki), but lousy execution of comedy and humor in general. Maybe the biggest mixed bag as far as NIS releases go. (That I've seen, that is.)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Bunny Drop - Only flaw I can think of is that it could have contained a few more episodes. There was more manga material to go by.

If you ask me, it ended precisely where it needed to. The last few chapters of the manga (the timeskip) are awful, terrible, garbage, and SHOULD NOT EXIST. Mad
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of the pre-timeskip material. There was still a couple of chapters worth of manga that could have been turned into anime episodes.

Please take that as a sort of hindsight wish instead of a complaint, though; what's there is absolutely fantastic, and I'm certainly glad I get to own the show instead of having to rely on streams. And on Bluray no less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4