• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
50 Anime Movies You Must See.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
So, they still call it "Japanimation" in the UK? Razz
(Over here, that sounds so Carl Macek, they'll beat you up for it.)

However, most of the choices....seem to BE from the Streamline/Manga era:
Does anyone in the 21st century still watch "Appleseed", "Jin-Roh", "Only Yesterday", "Ninja Scroll" or "Urotoskidoji"?? If it wasn't for the Ponyo ref, I'd have sworn they were reposting an article from '01.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Meh this list like any other is a poor guide to Anime for anyone other than the one who wrote it. This seems worse than most though alot of it smecks of just cherry picking the Anime that made te most in the west. I mean seriously Urotsukidoji one of the 50 greatest Anime movies? ... please. It's just sick.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Well, they are picking movies and series, so the pickings are slimmer. Anime is great for OAV's and series', but the weakpoint of the medium has always been the films/movies. There's a few I would have omitted, and a few I would have added, but it's a decent list considering the focus is movies and not shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, they are picking movies and series, so the pickings are slimmer. Anime is great for OAV's and series', but the weakpoint of the medium has always been the films/movies. There's a few I would have omitted, and a few I would have added, but it's a decent list considering the focus is movies and not shows.

Also, it's the UK, and the UK's anime companies don't delve as deeply as our Funis or ADVs--
MangaUK had more influence in what titles got seen, which is why so many of the ancient Manga titles and dreary theatricals are still considered "core".

(And we'll give them the Ghiblis, since it's a movie list, but does anything shout "mainstream newbie" more than still putting the Animatrix on a list?)
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:15 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Does anyone in the 21st century still watch "Appleseed", "Jin-Roh", "Only Yesterday", "Ninja Scroll" or "Urotoskidoji"??

...um, yes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Does anyone in the 21st century still watch "Appleseed", "Jin-Roh", "Only Yesterday", "Ninja Scroll" or "Urotoskidoji"?? If it wasn't for the Ponyo ref, I'd have sworn they were reposting an article from '01.

You know, I can understand discarding Urotoskidoji, Appleseed, or even Ninja Scroll as relics of the past. Come on though. Jin-Roh is a masterpiece. No 'must see' list would be complete without it.

By the way, you should probably check up on your dates. A total of 12 of the movies on there are from after 01.
vivaza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
wow. nice list.

Last edited by vivaza on Sat May 01, 2010 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I mean seriously Urotsukidoji one of the 50 greatest Anime movies? ... please. It's just sick.

Where do you see the word "greatest"? Must see implies that they are important and influential works, not necessarily that they are the best.

Regarding the list itself, I think I would have preferred seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love rather than Plus. The whole rogue AI conspiracy plot seems more ridiculous to me and brings down the story compared to the original.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

I attest in all sincerity that we do not.

I cannot say that I warm to such a phrase. (Nor, I must add, to the designation of a set of anime as "must see". Such an act is far too prescriptive for my liking; it suggests that the writer's preferences are being used as the sole foundation of a broadly-applicable imperative.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Regarding the list itself, I think I would have preferred seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love rather than Plus. The whole rogue AI conspiracy plot seems more ridiculous to me and brings down the story compared to the original.

That's the point: Plus was one of the first selling Manga US/UK titles out on shelves, period, during the one-shelf-at Suncoast days, hence it was The One Everyone Had Heard Of at the time.

Which is how it earned its place on the list of "Japanimation" Titles People Remember Hearing Of Without Ever Actually Watching Anime--While DYRL, which has never had a proper commercial release, didn't.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Wow. Not a single example of super robot, fighting, sports, magical girl, or slice-of-life series.Oh the shame.....

Of course not, since it was a list of anime MOVIES.

The Fist of the North Star Reboot movies are FAR more essential than Ponyo or Pokemon, but tfor the most part, you're right. Sorry.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
And, um, where was Wicked City on that list? I think that to be a pretty glaring omission, especially if they're going to include Blood: The Last Vampire, which I personally found to be pretty vapid and pointless. Not saying that it wasn't slightly entertaining, just that I don't think it had enough merits to be included on a "Best of" anything list. [/i]
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
(Over here, that sounds so Carl Macek, they'll beat you up for it.)

However, most of the choices....seem to BE from the Streamline/Manga era:
I think perhaps the point of the list could be to get newer fans to look back at older anime and see the origins of their hobby, but I could be wrong.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
First of all, if you're going to recommend films don't recommend franchise films that people would have to watch the television series for beforehand. It's just not a very nice thing to do to someone. A lot of them build on previously established characters and storylines which might confuse a new viewer. It's like throwing a novice swimmer in the deep end of a pool.

Secondly, I'll just say that I would vehemently object to ever recommending at least 5 of those titles to anyone, but the majority of them were good examples.

Even more of them are retellings or spinoffs that don't require previous knowledge. The Evangelion movies were the only ones that required knowledge of the source material

I think it's a great list of anime movies and one-offs. It's so easy to automatically associate "favorite/best/greatest/whatever" anime with series instead of movies and OVAs. Almost all of those are better than any traditional series.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz was on there too I think, and that was a sequel of Gundam Wing. But yeah, it's technically possible to watch a retelling without it's progenitor series, though I'd personally advise against it as generally retellings and compilation films tend to suck in my experience. Although, there are a few notable exceptions such as Kanon (2006) being a better animated, more expanded version of the original 2002 series.

Quote:
You know, I can understand discarding Urotoskidoji, Appleseed, or even Ninja Scroll as relics of the past. Come on though. Jin-Roh is a masterpiece. No 'must see' list would be complete without it.

Mine would. I'd only watch that one again unless someone was paying me a large sum of money. personally.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Does anyone in the 21st century still watch "Appleseed", "Jin-Roh", "Only Yesterday", "Ninja Scroll" or "Urotoskidoji"??

...um, yes?

Well, I loved Jin-Roh and the animation didn't seem outdated at all(that coming from someone who can hardly stand old anime). Perhaps because the budget of a single movie could equate to a whole series' budget?

Well composed list, but it might be a little confusing to put the End of Evangelion there, as it's already confusing for those who watched the TV series and then the movie, not to speak of those who'd watch it without the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3