• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Unable to License Rest of Yawara! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
How unfortunate, especially considering the amount of money that the first set cost fans. If they're permanently unable to license the rest of the series, that means that the sad souls who spent $140 dollars on the first forty episodes of [Yawara!] are going to have invested all that money into something they may never see completed.

This is not the first time something like this has happened in the world of anime and manga in North America. Many licenses have been obtained by American publishers, only to be dropped due to poor sales, or legal red tape, or the bankruptcy of the company holding said license. It will be interesting the intricacies of just [why] AnimEigo can't get the rest of this stellar series.

As much as I frown upon fansubbing/scanslating, it's understandable to see why fans would resort to that way of watching/reading series; the people in charge of them release them at a consistent rate, and don't let down fans like American companies have in the past. In no way am I defending fansubs; I'm simply stating that I can understand anime/manga fans not wanting to disappointed by the companies who have continually lost licenses or halted series.[/i]
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Anyway, I didn't realize AnimEigo didn't have the whole series licensed already. If I had known that I might have been more hesitant to drop the money on the first box set.

Same here. I expected a slow release, possibly having to wait until they recouped some money before each set would go out, but that they hadn't even licensed the entire thing? If I had known, I wouldn't have purchased the first set. I've already been burned by Kodocha, after all.
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I wanted to check this one out . . . I just wanted to read the manga first.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well.

Lovely.

I'm glad I violated my policy of only buying series I'd already seen for this one.

I am defending fansubs. It's now the only way I'm going to be able to watch the rest of the series. I'm not interested in sitting here like a lemon because the market failed. A group subbing this dutifully dropped it when AnimEigo licensed it. I hope they're able and willing to put the project back together.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Aw, what crappy news.
My boyfriend and I had been looking forward to getting more Yawara! (he had been sending Animego e-mails asking about it and everything) To find out that Animego won't get anymore is a real downer.
Like others have said though, if I wonder if they actually can't get the license, of it's just too pricey. If it's the latter, maybe someone like Rightstuf or Sentai would get it - it's a niche show aimed towards us hardcore nerds, which is right up their alley.
The really crappy part about this is that Yawara! is hard to find fansubbed too. Like Mylene said, it's Kodocha all over again.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
You mean... that expensive-ass box set... WASN'T the whole series!?

Well THANK GOD I decided my budget couldn't handle getting something that expensive that I've never seen before!
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
First Kodocha and now this. Its sad that two truly great shows such as these get the shaft like this in the American market. I guess I can still hold out hope that the rest will be licensed some day. Even if its unlikely.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Kodocha, Full Moon wo Sagashite, and now Yawara. This is why I've started waiting for the whole series to come out before purchasing.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
This does suck.

Well I guess I should be happy with what I got. Same goes for Cat's Eye as well I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I've got no hard feelings, but I am bummed. I really, really, really, really loved the first boxset of Yawara! I wish there was a market in the US for old shows like Yawara!, Rose of Versailles, Touch!, etc.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I really hate it when companies pull this crap. I haven't seen the series in question, but I was a victim of the Kodacha! fiasco and it looks like D.Gray-Man is headed down the same path. Mad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This is a n excellent example of when not enough people buy the DVD's. This obviously has happen before, so this doesn't surprise me in the least.

At least first part of the series has been licensed, several shows aren't this lucky. For example, I sure wish the final season of Hare and Guu would be licensed.

But the best way of the last part of the series being licensed is to continue to purchase the first part of the series. If people just stop buying the series all togehter, the chances of the rest of the series being licensed severely go down.

If you really like this series and want to have a better shot at watching the end, support the company and purchase the DVD's.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted (and still want) to see the rest of this, however, it's looking pretty bleak. I guess I'll file it next to my copies of Hikaru No Go and Kodocha Anime cry
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know this company existed until today.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Ugh.

Well, this was on my want-to-see list, I've just been so strapped for cash that the price on the boxset (decent when you consider how much you're getting, but still out of my under-employed price range) that I hadn't purchased it yet. Aaaaaand now the rest of it is unlikely to come out. Fun!

Well, once I get the money I'll still buy the first set. Maybe someone else will be able to finish it. Or maybe Viz will get off their butts and finally license the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6