• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Unable to License Rest of Yawara! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, this is the second bad piece of licensing news to come out of AnimEigo in as many months. Between Yawara! (which was the last new license announced by AnimEigo) and the discontinuation of the Oh! My Goddess OAV's (possibly AnimEigo's most high profile releases) times are looking pretty bad for the oldest licensing company in America.

I'd hate to see the day when AnimEigo releases are fully OOP. For my money, they've always had a great "Handle With Care" policy when it comes to anime.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Unfortunately, this is the second bad piece of licensing news to come out of AnimEigo in as many months. Between Yawara! (which was the last new license announced by AnimEigo) and the discontinuation of the Oh! My Goddess OAV's (possibly AnimEigo's most high profile releases) times are looking pretty bad for the oldest licensing company in America.

Things are looking bad for AnimEigo only if you think of them as an anime licensor. But their business has been centered on jidaigeki, chambara, etc. japanese movies for over a decade. They don't seem to be having any trouble on that front.
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
I am defending fansubs. It's now the only way I'm going to be able to watch the rest of the series.

Incorrect. Yawara had a DVD release in Japan in 2002 and the full series is available through amazon.co.jp for just under 3000USD...you don't appear to have looked for any solution other than fansubs

Well, gee, let me run out and drop $3000 on a DVD set with no English subtitles.

That may technically be a solution, but it is not really a viable one. I'm no stranger to importing from Amazon.co.jp myself, and if I spoke Japanese, I really would have no use for the R1 companies, other than to keep costs down.

I'm not defending fansubs either, but I can understand the appeal when the only other real option we have to enjoy the rest of a series we've already gotten interested in is to wait for some day in the far-flung future when somebody may finally release the series in some adequate format.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Emperor Fred wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
I am defending fansubs. It's now the only way I'm going to be able to watch the rest of the series.

Incorrect. Yawara had a DVD release in Japan in 2002 and the full series is available through amazon.co.jp for just under 3000USD...you don't appear to have looked for any solution other than fansubs

Well, gee, let me run out and drop $3000 on a DVD set with no English subtitles.

This.

By the way, that particular sub group has already announced they'd resume the project.

Did you know they donated their Yawara scripts to AnimEigo, who used them as the base for their own subs?

These guys are class.

Edit: While the 3000USD box has been rightfully laughed off the stage, I realize I should address the idea that I felt "betrayed" by AnimEigo. If anyone got that impression, I guess I wasn't expressing myself very clearly. I realize they're a business and can't put out the rest of my anime if it'll only bleed them. I'm just annoyed with this development, as I think anyone can understand.

In fact, I respect AnimEigo for even making the effort at releasing an old, mostly forgotten show this side of the big pond. With very few exceptions, they're the only ones who would ever do something like that.

Last edited by Fronzel on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading that Kitty Media, who was the rights holder for Yawara!, sold off all their anime properties a few years ago. If someone else now has Yawara! maybe they've jacked up the price and AnimEigo has been unable to talk them down. That would explain the long delay before they finally announced that they can't get the license.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
well there goes another series, I was waiting for it to be completely released before I bought it, now they will be getting a big order from me in the next month or two, I plan on buying the entire uresai yatsura collection from them, so maybe that will help them a little. but untill the second half is released I wont consider yawara!, I too have been burned by the kodocha curse from funimation

on the other note, I have been considering importing some shows that will never see the light of day in america, region free DVD players are easy to find, and I found a good series that has an english dub, as well as japanese audio with subtitles, I have found that several shows can be found with subtitles, as well as english dubs online, you just have to look, and I do not mean bootlegs either.....
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote

Incorrect. Yawara had a DVD release in Japan in 2002 and the full series is available through amazon.co.jp for just under 3000USD.

Sorry to any fans, but Yawara isn't worth that much (even if it did have subs). That price is ridiculous even for a Japanese product. I can think of MANY other ways to blow $3000 on R2 DVD's. Theres sooo many amazing shows out there that will never see the light of day in North America.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:

on the other note, I have been considering importing some shows that will never see the light of day in america, region free DVD players are easy to find, and I found a good series that has an english dub, as well as japanese audio with subtitles, I have found that several shows can be found with subtitles, as well as english dubs online, you just have to look, and I do not mean bootlegs either.....

Are you sure they're not bootlegs? There are a few Japanese releases with English subs/dubs, but very, very few.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
For people who are talking about being burned, I don't know if anyone remembers, but when AnimEigo initially began taking the preorders for this series, they agreed to adjust the price based on number of preorders, with a "maximum" price based on worst case scenario but saying the price would lower based on pre-order numbers. What a neat idea. Unfortunately it seems not to have worked out in the end.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Sorry to any fans, but Yawara isn't worth that much (even if it did have subs). That price is ridiculous even for a Japanese product. I can think of MANY other ways to blow $3000 on R2 DVD's. Theres sooo many amazing shows out there that will never see the light of day in North America.

Ironically enough, this series went toe-to-toe with Ranma 1/2 in Japan when it aired, but considering it's old, a sports anime (which don't do well here anyway) and whatnot, it's no surprise that people weren't willing to shell out 80 bucks for a forty episode brick.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm well aware of its popularity, but I'm just trying to point out that its not worth it. That price is just ridiculously inflated due to it being out of print. I would not recommend anyone to buy it. If you got mad cash to play around with, go pick up the Rose of Versailles Memorial Box instead. $2800 less and far more of a gem of a show.
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:

Ironically enough, this series went toe-to-toe with Ranma 1/2 in Japan when it aired

Wasn't Yawara! originally the lead-in show to Ranma 1/2? IIRC, after the former ended its run, the ratings for the latter dropped.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Edit: While the 3000USD box has been rightfully laughed off the stage, I realize I should address the idea that I felt "betrayed" by AnimEigo. If anyone got that impression, I guess I wasn't expressing myself very clearly. I realize they're a business and can't put out the rest of my anime if it'll only bleed them. I'm just annoyed with this development, as I think anyone can understand.

In fact, I respect AnimEigo for even making the effort at releasing an old, mostly forgotten show this side of the big pond. With very few exceptions, they're the only ones who would ever do something like that.

Laughed off the stage, well, that's not a surprise. But you said there was no other way and fansubs were the only alternative, which is clearly not the case. The tapes are cheaper.

There's obviously a line we all draw between cooperation and selfishness and I couldn't be bothered to tell you where to draw yours. I was moved by the 180 to selfishness your post depicted though; you do gotta look out for number one. And no, that's not sarcasm. Neither was that. Or that. You get the idea.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Laughed off the stage, well, that's not a surprise. But you said there was no other way and fansubs were the only alternative, which is clearly not the case. The tapes are cheaper.

There is no other way. I can't speak Japanese. What good are Japanese-only DVDs to me? This point has already been made.

Technically, I could always learn Japanese, but asking me to learn a foreign language to watch cartoons is absurd. And asking me to use an obsolete format on top of that!

There's obviously a line we all draw between cooperation and selfishness and I couldn't be bothered to tell you where to draw yours.

Cooperation with what? That DVD box is so expensive because it's out of print. I wouldn't be supporting an anime studio by buying it; my money would just go to whomever is selling a now-rare piece of merchandise.

There's no market for Yawara any more, in Japan or in America. There is no other consideration than my desire to see the rest of the series.
hesperus

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Don’t worry, I bet the rest of that anime will be translated… BY FANSUBS. Cool

Honorable power of fansubs, BE SUMMON!!!

FANSUBS FANSUBS FANSUBS! Activate! Twisted Evil

Fansubs powers unite! Idea
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
That's disappointing, I bought the first boxset and was waiting for more, but apparently that won't be happening, and I doubt a fansub group will finish it, since last I checked it was long dropped at episode 58. Sad

But hopefully it will be picked-up again, one can only hope...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6