• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Unable to License Rest of Yawara! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
hesperus wrote:
Don’t worry, I bet the rest of that anime will be translated… BY FANSUBS. Cool

ReiClone88 wrote:
I doubt a fansub group will finish it, since last I checked it was long dropped at episode 58. Sad

You guys are behind the times. The group that did episodes 1-58 (and dropped it because of AnimEigo's license) has already announced the resumption of the project.
anastasm

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that AnimEigo went as far as to contact me so that I can be included in the list of "base translator" credits.

I am not associated with the current fansub group that resumed Yawara eps 58+, but I did translate eps 5-41 (or was it 43? it was so long ago, that I forget) with an older fansub group. I'm amazed that our scripts were still available online and in use for all these years. Shocked

I think the current fansub group did the right thing of providing the scripts to AnimEigo without a hitch, and AnimEigo was kind enough to dig further and contact all the people involved with Yawara fansubs, past and current. Very Happy

I mentiond this backstory in my blog a while back: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/anastasm/searchdiary?word=%2A%5Bヤワラ!%20YAWARA%21%5D
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Too bad, I was really looked forward to owning Yawara!

anastasm wrote:
I am not associated with the current fansub group that resumed Yawara eps 58+, but I did translate eps 5-41 (or was it 43? it was so long ago, that I forget) with an older fansub group. I'm amazed that our scripts were still available online and in use for all these years. Shocked
They've been floating around on the internet for so long now, and will probably never go away.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:

on the other note, I have been considering importing some shows that will never see the light of day in america, region free DVD players are easy to find, and I found a good series that has an english dub, as well as japanese audio with subtitles, I have found that several shows can be found with subtitles, as well as english dubs online, you just have to look, and I do not mean bootlegs either.....

Are you sure they're not bootlegs? There are a few Japanese releases with English subs/dubs, but very, very few.

There are definitely some in R2 Japan that are legit with English. Pale Cocoon and Gauche the Cellist comes to mind off hand. But when you throw in the ability to play R2 Euro and R3 and R4 releases, the spectrum widens to some really neat possibilities... Nodame Cantabile is one frequently cited R3 release that has both english sub and dub. Relatively cheap to acquire, too. Released through Sony in Taiwan, if I remember right. Madman in Australia (R4) has some nice titles available... Mind Game, not to mention titles like R.O.D. TV and Fushigi Yugi, which are now wretchedly OOP in R1. And in R2 Euro, Optimum has released the entire Studio Ghibli catalog, including titles like Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves which will probably never see the light of day in R1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
anastasm wrote:
Just wanted to point out that AnimEigo went as far as to contact me so that I can be included in the list of "base translator" credits.

I think the current fansub group did the right thing of providing the scripts to AnimEigo without a hitch, and AnimEigo was kind enough to dig further and contact all the people involved with Yawara fansubs, past and current. Very Happy

I mentiond this backstory in my blog a while back: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/anastasm/searchdiary?word=%2A%5Bヤワラ!%20YAWARA%21%5D

That's nice and all, but we have to remember that this is a licenser leaving the market. While that certainly will spawn an unneeded debate(and let's ignore that). But the fact that AnimEigo worked so closely with groups doesn't bode well for popular theory, yes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Laughed off the stage, well, that's not a surprise. But you said there was no other way and fansubs were the only alternative, which is clearly not the case. The tapes are cheaper.

There is no other way. I can't speak Japanese. What good are Japanese-only DVDs to me? This point has already been made.

Technically, I could always learn Japanese, but asking me to learn a foreign language to watch cartoons is absurd. And asking me to use an obsolete format on top of that!

You seem to have me confused with your conscience. I'm not really interested in trying to make you do something, it's just the attitude of helplessness that I captures my fascination. You can't understand Japanese and it's just beyond your capacity to obtain legitimate releases! You have no choice! Have you seriously thought about writing a fansub soap opera? If so, how long do you suppose it would take for it to be fansubbed?

Quote:
There's obviously a line we all draw between cooperation and selfishness and I couldn't be bothered to tell you where to draw yours.

Cooperation with what? That DVD box is so expensive because it's out of print. I wouldn't be supporting an anime studio by buying it; my money would just go to whomever is selling a now-rare piece of merchandise.

There's no market for Yawara any more, in Japan or in America. There is no other consideration than my desire to see the rest of the series.

Cooperation in that you'd be doing something legal i.e. by a means approved of by the owner via the secondhand market. There's a reason that's legal and bootlegging isn't, you know. Also, to say there is no market is also wrong, I think we're evidence enough of that. Whether or not that's enough though, who knows.

In any event, I now realize it's clear you need Yawara's second half stat. The consequences of postponed closure, particularly with 20+ year old cartoons, are as of yet an unstudied malady and as such must be addressed with the utmost consideration. Should you further delay treatment, substitutive measures may have to be implemented; I'm not a doctor but I've heard tell that the same opiate receptors that react to Yawara can be stimulated by other means as well. Cardiovascular excercises, prescription medicine, and perhaps even sexual endeavors may provide for adequate short term relief, though I fear only time will tell.

Godspeed.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sun May 02, 2010 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mdauben

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
I KNEW that they were not going to release the second half.

Well, you didn't "know" that much, as the existing release was actually only about the the first third of the show's 124 eps. Razz

Quote:
The First half was just too damn expensive, especially with today's economy,

AnimEigo has successfully put out other expensive, niche market, series before (their release of You're Under Arrest was IIRC over $300 for only 53 episodes).

I did buy the first box of Yarwara! as it was at the very top of my "want to watch" wishlist. The series was never fully fansubbed so I was ready, willing and able to buy the whole 122 eps (plus two movies). I still will if the rest is ever released, but I guess I won't hold my breath. Crying or Very sad

Fronzel wrote:
The group that did episodes 1-58 (and dropped it because of AnimEigo's license) has already announced the resumption of the project.

Actually, the group that was previously fansubbing Yawara! stopped subbing the series long before AnimEigo announced their licence.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
You seem to have me confused with your conscience. I'm not really interested in trying to make you do something, it's just the attitude of helplessness that I captures my fascination. You can't understand Japanese and it's just beyond your capacity to obtain legitimate releases! You have no choice! Have you seriously thought about writing a fansub soap opera? If so, how long do you suppose it would take for it to be fansubbed?

I have three choices in this situation:

1: Never see the rest of the series.

2: a) Learn Japanese, spending who knows how much money and time to achieve this sufficiently well.
b) Spend a significant portion of my yearly income on a DVD boxset.

3: Wait for it be fansubbed. This will take a long time.

I’m choosing #3 because the alternatives are annoying and highly unattractive, respectively. This is the extent of my “helplessness”; that I choose the superior option. I’m aware that this mean I have to wait quite a while (this particular fansub group is somewhat infamous for sedate release schedules), but I can accept that.

Cooperation in that you'd be doing something legal i.e. by a means approved of by the owner via the secondhand market. There's a reason that's legal and bootlegging isn't, you know. Also, to say there is no market is also wrong, I think we're evidence enough of that. Whether or not that's enough though, who knows.

You think producers approve the second-hand market? It just happens on its own, the internet playing a big role in recent years. Many of them would be happy to see it disappear as it would mean buying from them would be the only option.

And no, there is no market. AnimEigo’s announcement and the fact that the series is out-of-print in Japan demonstrates that. A couple of posters on some message board who like the series does not constitute a market. A market is a big abstract thing that runs on money, and there’s apparently no money in Yawara anymore or AnimEigo wouldn’t have given up on it.

And I see no reason to inconvenience myself for the sake a law which, in the circumstances, is protecting nothing. I’ll jaywalk across a deserted road rather than walk a mile to a crossing. This is not a matter of conscience.

In any event, I now realize it's clear you need Yawara's second half stat. The consequences of words words words

You’ve taken a pretty smarmy tone this whole time, but it’s getting really bad here, not to mention you’re not making sense. The resumed fansub of Yawara won’t be finished for years. This has nothing to do with expediency. It's not that AnimEigo said "it'll be a while", they said "it's not going to happen". they said If that fansub group hadn’t picked the project back up, I’d be out of luck. Yawara is neither worth the effort of learning Japanese nor paying a very large amount of money, let along having to do both of those things. In that situation I’d never see the rest of the series, which would be annoying, but since I apparently need to state the obvious, hardly life-shattering, but I don’t have to do that because of the fansubs. In the actual situation, I gain and no one loses. There’s no reason for me to feel bad about this.

And you know what'll happen if the unlikely occurs, and AnimEigo puts out the rest of the series after all? The fansub will drop again, and I'll buy the DVDs.

mdauben wrote:
Actually, the group that was previously fansubbing Yawara! stopped subbing the series long before AnimEigo announced their licence.

I’m pretty sure we’re thinking of two different groups here. The group I’m talking about made a post on their site explaining that they were dropping the series due to its license.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
(Indignance, a lot of yet to be explained asserting)...And you know what'll happen if the unlikely occurs, and AnimEigo puts out the rest of the series after all? The fansub will drop again, and I'll buy the DVDs.

I generally agree but I do hit rough spots on the matters of who is entitled to what. I try to take a utilitarian approach; that said, it's difficult to actually demonstrate what does and does not harm the license holders in these cases. And that does concern me; I like to play fair, especially when there are distributors like Animeigo who make the DVDs worth it. I still don't know how correct I am.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'd hate to see the day when AnimEigo releases are fully OOP. For my money, they've always had a great "Handle With Care" policy when it comes to anime.

... if only they didn't give me the single rudest customer service experience that I've ever had when dealing directly with a company.

I'm pretty amazed that the WHOLE series wasn't licensed... these are the same guys who went on a crusade to release all of UY, after all. To me it sounds more like an issue of not wanting to take a bath.

* = I'm still going to buy UY at some point. I hope.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
In the actual situation, I gain and no one loses. There’s no reason for me to feel bad about this.

Tomorrow I will test this logic at the Mercedes dealership down the street from my office.

"Hey, y'all aren't making this one any more, right? Cool, I'm just gon' drive it off the lot..." *waves*

I'm sorry to be snarky, but nobody loses? How? I mean, maybe I'm crazy and the areas that are beyond my daily means-of-transport subsist on an economy of high fives and hot dogs, but I'm pretty sure that somebody's losing here.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
In the actual situation, I gain and no one loses. There’s no reason for me to feel bad about this.

Tomorrow I will test this logic at the Mercedes dealership down the street from my office.

"Hey, y'all aren't making this one any more, right? Cool, I'm just gon' drive it off the lot..." *waves*

I'm sorry to be snarky, but nobody loses? How? I mean, maybe I'm crazy and the areas that are beyond my daily means-of-transport subsist on an economy of high fives and hot dogs, but I'm pretty sure that somebody's losing here.

Why stop there? Let's take the plans to their entire lineup of cars while we're at it. We'll find an abandoned factory and build our own Mercedes fleet. And, because we're such good samaritans, we'll give our brand new cars away for free! I'm sure nobody will lose money because of our actions, right? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Positron33

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I have just found out and this news is really sad.

Me, In spite of already having the whole series on my hard disc in dual catalan and japanese version and lots of VHS made by me several years ago, I wanted to have this anime in DVD.

Altough I don't like the japanese voices because very I am used to the catalan version, I bought the first set in ebay for all the extras, the book and overall beacuse this is one of my favourite animes.

Here in Spain, Yawara has been aired in the public catalan TV at least 5 or 6 times, the latter being in 2004. It was called Cinturó Negre (Black belt), and the protagonist Ginger Inokuma. It was one of the important ones of the mid 90s, the gold period of the anime in Spain. It was so popular with the teenegers and also young adults, that in 1997 it was given the slot after Dragon Ball, the high rated anime in spanish history. Today, here in Catalonia there has been a recent Yawara boom because of the manga, which is being published in catalan with great succes, for now 9 of total 29 have been released.

It is very sad to read so many people who like this anime and have only been able to watch the first 40 episodes because probalbly the best parts and the more complex and adult ones are in the last third of the series.

The whole story arch of the 82-89 episodies which cover the Yugoslavia championship of 1981, and then the last 24 episodies are the best of the anime by far, with some unforgettable moments and a very memorable last episode. The second half of the series maybe has more lower points than the first wich is more regular but when is at its best, oh my god.

I hope that if no more DVDs come out the fansubs can do the job because this anime is really great and the all the people who like it deserves to be able to finish it.

Yawara Inokuma forever.

Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'd hate to see the day when AnimEigo releases are fully OOP. For my money, they've always had a great "Handle With Care" policy when it comes to anime.

... if only they didn't give me the single rudest customer service experience that I've ever had when dealing directly with a company.

I'm pretty amazed that the WHOLE series wasn't licensed... these are the same guys who went on a crusade to release all of UY, after all. To me it sounds more like an issue of not wanting to take a bath.

* = I'm still going to buy UY at some point. I hope.

Okay, yeah I somewhat agree with you there. I've probably emailed them once or twice, but they never replied back. I sent the email about a year or two ago, so this happened a while back. I know the company is busy and what have you, but so am I.

Yet, I took the time to email them, despite being very busy myself. I'll admit I don't run a business, but like most responsible people, I work. Similar situation happened with Bandai.

But I really enjoyed the first season of Your Under Arrest. It's a shame that the second and third season weren't dubbed. I would have liked to see what happened to the characters, but since it's not in English, I am not going to watch it.

So I wonder TokyoGetter, with all due respect, not responding is pretty rude, so how much ruder can a company get?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the Animeigo hatred?

They're still pretty active, and have released a ton of live action material. If anime sales were better, I imagine that they'd be releasing more anime titles, and I imagine they probably might pick up somethingelse now that more Yaware didn't pan out. They've found a lot of success with live action japanese movies, and anime fans often seem to overlook this and paint them as some kind of business failure. They're small, but put out a lot of material overall and have done a lot of important work.

It seems these were issues beyond their control. It's pretty common for companies to license series in more affordable chunks [Funimation does this regularly, as does ADV], and from time to time you'll have a case where licensing more of a show might not be possible. Whether due to sales, or issues with the licensor. Animeigo have been straightforward, and said they would release more if they could, so it's apparent it was an issue in Japan causing the delay.

I've dealt with Animeigo personally many times, and always had cordial, polite and helpful dealings with them. I think people are jumping to a lot of conclusions over the situation, and misunderstanding things. I'm pretty thankful we've gotten what we did of Yawara, and hope they can manage to patch things up in the future, but until then, I'll look forward to the other movies and shows they'll be offering.

Last edited by Paploo on Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6