Forum - View topic
NEWS: Windows 7 Gets Anime Ad with Nanami Madobe Mascot


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Apollo-kun



Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1207
Location: City 7, Macross 7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
First Japan gets all of the good shows and video games before we do, and now they get an anime girl theme for Windows 7?! Man, that's pretty harsh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mitsuho



Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
writerpatrick



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 578
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Because Windows 7 was the idea of a fictional cartoon character. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
First Japan gets all of the good shows and video games before we do, and now they get an anime girl theme for Windows 7?! Man, that's pretty harsh.


I have a feeling there most likely is well over 1000 thousand anime theme's and a anime theme for Windows Seven probably existed before this news.

But slightly off topic, Windows Seven is fantastic. Windows Seven is a massive and I mean massive upgrade form Windows XP. I highly recommend Windows Seven to anyone that a operating system that is exceptionally fast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8156
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But slightly off topic, Windows Seven is fantastic. Windows Seven is a massive and I mean massive upgrade form Windows XP. I highly recommend Windows Seven to anyone that a operating system that is exceptionally fast.
Sadly it doesn't work very well with older 32bit machines without hefty and expensive upgrades. so until I feel it's worth a new 64 bit machine, I'll be running on XP a while longer. Cute character though, but it would only work in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3513
Location: earth
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
i have Windows 7 Ultimate Editions. MS please give me Nanami Madobe as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2030
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But slightly off topic, Windows Seven is fantastic. Windows Seven is a massive and I mean massive upgrade form Windows XP. I highly recommend Windows Seven to anyone that a operating system that is exceptionally fast.
Sadly it doesn't work very well with older 32bit machines without hefty and expensive upgrades. so until I feel it's worth a new 64 bit machine, I'll be running on XP a while longer. Cute character though, but it would only work in Japan.


Quite true, but I highly recommend you don't upgrade to Vista though. I have a friend who has Vista and has had problems from the start. Even the most experienced technicians find Vista a challenge.

But yeah, this wold only work in Japan. I can only imagine what a non anime would say if this ever came to the US. There are thousands of wall papers that are anime related, but only a handful actually have quality artwork and are original.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7813
Location: IL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

I'd much rather have those commercials than the ones that say "I'm a Mac" or "I'm a PC", cause those were just stupid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chefneer
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 1533
Location: Wichita, Kansas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
If I ever get around to building a computer I won't be installing windows on it.

Vista has been such a pain in the [email protected]@ that there are times when I'm tempted to set the machine on a fence and use it for large bore target practice.

Yeah, I know version 7 is supposed to be better but it's based on vista, which makes me a skeptic.

I'd likely use Linux.

OK, I'm done venting. I feel better now.

She is cute, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

I'd much rather have those commercials than the ones that say "I'm a Mac" or "I'm a PC", cause those were just stupid.


I much rather see somewhat comedic skits than rather hear people claim they made Windows Seven.

Sure Windows may have taken survey's, but that doesn't mean those people created Windows Seven. Claming to own a product without giving any credit to the author or company is Copyright infringement and is a fairly big deal with industries such as music, software and of course anime.

Technically, if someone does purchase Windows Seven, they do own the product. But they don't own the product license.

Giant difference between the two.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7813
Location: IL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

I'd much rather have those commercials than the ones that say "I'm a Mac" or "I'm a PC", cause those were just stupid.


I much rather see somewhat comedic skits than rather hear people claim they made Windows Seven.

Sure Windows may have taken survey's, but that doesn't mean those people created Windows Seven. Claming to own a product without giving any credit to the author or company is Copyright infringement and is a fairly big deal with industries such as music, software and of course anime.

Technically, if someone does purchase Windows Seven, they do own the product. But they don't own the product license.

Giant difference between the two.

Semantics aside, there is a a plausible reason for why someone can say they "made" Windows 7.

There is no plausible excuse for why someone could call themselves a Mac or a PC, unless they use the computer so much that they lose their own identity for that of the computer, which is a somewhat unsettling thought.

And no, negative advertisement is never funny (hear that, Direct TV?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

I'd much rather have those commercials than the ones that say "I'm a Mac" or "I'm a PC", cause those were just stupid.


I much rather see somewhat comedic skits than rather hear people claim they made Windows Seven.

Sure Windows may have taken survey's, but that doesn't mean those people created Windows Seven. Claming to own a product without giving any credit to the author or company is Copyright infringement and is a fairly big deal with industries such as music, software and of course anime.

Technically, if someone does purchase Windows Seven, they do own the product. But they don't own the product license.

Giant difference between the two.

Semantics aside, there is a a plausible reason for why someone can say they "made" Windows 7.

There is no plausible excuse for why someone could call themselves a Mac or a PC, unless they use the computer so much that they lose their own identity for that of the computer, which is a somewhat unsettling thought.

And no, negative advertisement is never funny (hear that, Direct TV?)


You do bring up excellent points, but what if that person's name was actually Mac? Also, people could rationalize PC is short for another name (Pete Cander for example)

But you do have a point, there really isn't any point why anyone would call themselves Mac or Pc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 3099
Location: wisconsin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I wouldnt mined if I got a anime girl for window 7 now that mite make me buy it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 8156
Location: England, UK
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But slightly off topic, Windows Seven is fantastic. Windows Seven is a massive and I mean massive upgrade form Windows XP. I highly recommend Windows Seven to anyone that a operating system that is exceptionally fast.
Sadly it doesn't work very well with older 32bit machines without hefty and expensive upgrades. so until I feel it's worth a new 64 bit machine, I'll be running on XP a while longer. Cute character though, but it would only work in Japan.


Quite true, but I highly recommend you don't upgrade to Vista though. I have a friend who has Vista and has had problems from the start. Even the most experienced technicians find Vista a challenge.
I knew about Vista, 'tis the reason Windows 7 came out so soon after.

Quote:
But yeah, this wold only work in Japan. I can only imagine what a non anime would say if this ever came to the US. There are thousands of wall papers that are anime related, but only a handful actually have quality artwork and are original.
True, but the reason it wouldn't work outside of Japan is because of the same reason Spice and Wolf book covers have to have photos. Drawings just don't appeal to the general public in marketing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group