• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Windows 7 Gets Anime Ad with Nanami Madobe Mascot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

This. A thousand times. They already have those crazy French ones. Why not go way out in left field for my infinite amusement? Very Happy
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm still using all the old stuffs, playing all the old games like Gunbound / MapleStory, Wins XP is still better than Wins 7 for compatibility wise, and slightly better in the speed too. Security shouldn't be a problem since I'm just a single user and not doing stuffs as or for a big company. IE8 solves most security issues already. Well, and I'm lazy getting used to the GUI of Wins 7 anyways, cause I don't like it... Wins XP is simple and neat.
jhuhn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
...and how would she say, "I'm a PC and Windows 7, was my idea" in Japanese?
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Why am I missing this out as an owner of Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits Sad! Nana Mizuki rocks Anime hyper
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I thought this was going to be one of those, "I made Windows 7" commercials.

This. A thousand times. They already have those crazy French ones. Why not go way out in left field for my infinite amusement? Very Happy

I'd watch that. 100% animated and in a foreign language like the french one, but it should end in this pose:
dho332

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
64 bit rules. 32 bit should die already. I've had 64-bit for years and there is no downside, other than having to use dosbox for wolfenstein 3d. That's because I'm too lazy to find a port for it. Up yours 32-bit!
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
If I ever get around to building a computer I won't be installing windows on it.

Vista has been such a pain in the a@@ that there are times when I'm tempted to set the machine on a fence and use it for large bore target practice.

Yeah, I know version 7 is supposed to be better but it's based on vista, which makes me a skeptic.

I'd likely use Linux.

OK, I'm done venting. I feel better now.

She is cute, though.

Trust me, it's well worth it. I HATED Vista. It took me hours to do the simplest meaningless task. After I got Windows 7, all the struggling I had in Vista was laughable.

Definitely the best OS I've ever used. And an extensive jump from XP to boot.
etempest

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
chefneer wrote:
If I ever get around to building a computer I won't be installing windows on it.

Vista has been such a pain in the a@@ that there are times when I'm tempted to set the machine on a fence and use it for large bore target practice.

Yeah, I know version 7 is supposed to be better but it's based on vista, which makes me a skeptic.

I'd likely use Linux.

OK, I'm done venting. I feel better now.

She is cute, though.

Trust me, it's well worth it. I HATED Vista. It took me hours to do the simplest meaningless task. After I got Windows 7, all the struggling I had in Vista was laughable.

Definitely the best OS I've ever used. And an extensive jump from XP to boot.

I also have to agree, Windows 7 is what Vista was suppose to been.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
If you want the Nana theme (or one of the others that were released as a promo for Bing) you can find them online and put them on the US version of windows 7.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
If you want the Nana theme (or one of the others that were released as a promo for Bing) you can find them online and put them on the US version of windows 7.

I am pretty sure, those images aren't licensed by the original company that photographed her. Too this day, I am still surprised Photo Shop can edit photo's so much it looks like the original picture.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

But won't they be in Japanese?
Sorce

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Covnam wrote:

But won't they be in Japanese?
The theme itself is basically a sound pack and three wallpapers; nothing substantial is changed.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote
dho332 wrote:
64 bit rules. 32 bit should die already.

Unfortunately, hardware doesn't mean diddly if the software isn't utilizing its potential. The majority of software out there still runs in 32 bit, meaning, those with 64 bit machines are wasting quite a bit of the hardware if the software isn't 64 bit.

Despite what people think, running 32 bit software doesn't improve it on a 64 bit machine. It doesn't load any faster and sure as hell can't allocate more than 4G of RAM (and you wouldn't want it to!).

This offering is just a skin, folks. You can make them yourself if you're inclined to do a little studying and testing. They're easy to make, so if you're looking for anime themed Windows, make one.

Just a bit of a caveat: they're a tad more difficult in Vista/7 because of how they're now run, but they can be done. Back up your system before applying a skin, just to be sure you have your rear covered.

Enjoy.
archyteckie08

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
First Japan gets all of the good shows and video games before we do, and now they get an anime girl theme for Windows 7?! Man, that's pretty harsh.

Japanese used Manga mascots for EVERYTHING! From "Don't Not litter Signs," Retail products, to Government public service incentives, like Japanese Medicare, all are represented by an cartooned mascot. In fact most government pamphlets read like mangas. It's very bizarre to a Western but very common to Japanese.

Even Japanese police stations are represented by a manga mascot. Check out here: http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/1128/Japanese+Mascots.html

Here's another site for all things mascoted in Japan: http://japanesemascots.com/
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:
Japanese used Manga mascots for EVERYTHING! From "Don't Not litter Signs," Retail products, to Government public service incentives, like Japanese Medicare, all are represented by an cartooned mascot.

That is why they are superior culture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3