• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dethtok

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:00 am Reply with quote
If they release Twelve Kingdoms in blu-ray I will be sniping it day one for my PS3. I don't care if the price is a bit above usual for a masterpiece. Out of 700+ anime series watched it is my favorite top 1 of the genre and top 3 of all, so I don't give a damn about cash to get this one. It's that good to me =p!

Ehh, I might snipe it on cdjapan for real now that I know there is a blu-ray HD version.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search3.html?q=twelve+kingdoms&media=blu-ray&r=any&step=20&order=score

The cost is bit high but anyways one per month or so will do it.

Last edited by Dakaran on Sat May 01, 2010 4:09 am; edited 2 times in total
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The Count wrote:
For the most part I don't care with the exception of some of the comments about right-wingers

Right, and the only reason you care is because I don't agree with you. Otherwise it wouldn't bother you at all that once every 25 shows I mention my personal politics, and only did so because it was directly related to the point I was trying to make on the podcast that I created and serve as both producer and host.
Well do to me being tired and not wanting to start-up an endless back and forth this will be the last time that I will post on the subject. But from what I gather from you I would say your wrong in believing I brought this up just because I disagree with you. In fact for the most part I would bet many of my views would line up with yours. It's just that when listen to a show about anime that's what I would it to be about without using unnecessary yet divisive subjects to supplement your opinion of a topic. There where many other comparisons that could have been used but you went with politics and slanted against the right. I realize this is your show and if I was offended by it I could have stopped listening after annncast 6. I just wish politics weren't brought up at all, or that you could take a more middle of the road stance when it has to be used in a discussion.

Well like I said before(though you won't believe me now) I really don't care all that much. And as you might tell by my poorer than normal grammar and punctuation I'm tired so this is the last time I'll bring this up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
Zac: "Why don't they put anime in prime-time slots in America? Because they can't!"

You know how many American cartoons which have failed in those slots? The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park are about the only real winners in that category. And the creators of those shows took years to even get that kind of a pick-up. So imagine how much harder it is to sell a product which has to hit it out of the park the first time around.

I'm not fond of Futurama, but it's the closest to an American take on an anime concept we'll get. [Avatar the Last Airbender is anime-inspired.] And if that bombed in the ratings, imagine how much harder it is for an even geekier property.

"six years ago"

Actually, about 11 years ago.

Justin: "A thousand theaters, a thousand prints"

Christ, even Sony doesn't do that for anime films. Why the hell would any of the lesser companies put up that dough?

"I don't think, theatrically, it did that well."

It was a dud. Though I guess you could argue it was a good PTA for that small a release. I wouldn't, considering the other more successful theatrical anime in the U.S.

Megan: "Much like A-ko, they seem to think Lodoss wasn't worth keeping, and threw out all the prints."

Jezus. I'm not a huge Lodoss fan myself, but last time I checked, RPGS and RPG-related adaptations still make money in Japan. So who the hell's bright idea was it to toss that one out?! Though now I'm wondering if maybe that's part of why the anime industry in Japan's in such a funk right now. Because, outside of a few mainstays, they throw away the more interesting titles aspiring animators and screenwriters could benefit from-education wise?
animalcalls

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Zac wrote:
The Count wrote:
For the most part I don't care with the exception of some of the comments about right-wingers

Right, and the only reason you care is because I don't agree with you. Otherwise it wouldn't bother you at all that once every 25 shows I mention my personal politics, and only did so because it was directly related to the point I was trying to make on the podcast that I created and serve as both producer and host.
Well do to me being tired and not wanting to start-up an endless back and forth this will be the last time that I will post on the subject. But from what I gather from you I would say your wrong in believing I brought this up just because I disagree with you. In fact for the most part I would bet many of my views would line up with yours. It's just that when listen to a show about anime that's what I would it to be about without using unnecessary yet divisive subjects to supplement your opinion of a topic. There where many other comparisons that could have been used but you went with politics and slanted against the right. I realize this is your show and if I was offended by it I could have stopped listening after annncast 6. I just wish politics weren't brought up at all, or that you could take a more middle of the road stance when it has to be used in a discussion.

Well like I said before(though you won't believe me now) I really don't care all that much. And as you might tell by my poorer than normal grammar and punctuation I'm tired so this is the last time I'll bring this up.

I doubt you get offended when a stand up comedian makes a left-leaning joke. It's essentially the same concept. Calm down and realize not everything is tailored to your sensibilities and that people should be encouraged to voice their opinions on all matters, especially when it aids the understanding of a concept.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:41 am Reply with quote
animalcalls wrote:
I doubt you get offended when a stand up comedian makes a left-leaning joke. It's essentially the same concept. Calm down and realize not everything is tailored to your sensibilities and that people should be encouraged to voice their opinions on all matters, especially when it aids the understanding of a concept.
I did state twice that I wasn't offended or didn't pay to much mind to this right? Yes I did. I did say that it's not that I disagree with his political opinions and that many of mine may mirror his right? Yes I did. I did say that I realize this is his show and "if I were offended I would have left at anncat 6" right? Yes I did. I didn't use any strong language or post anything that would lead someone to believe that I was irrational and needs to "calm down" right? I believe so. So what is the point of your post seeing that I addressed those issues before you even posted. I'm not mad but just wanted to know what you thought would be gained by posting what I already have. But using your comparison I know what my problem is. I didn't realize Zac was a Comedian. My fault fault, I guess maybe I should look towards Justin for anime insight and look to Zac solely for laughs.
animalcalls

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
animalcalls wrote:
I did state twice that I wasn't offended or didn't pay to much mind to this right? Yes I did. I did say that it's not that I disagree with his political opinions and that many of mine may mirror his right? Yes I did. I did say that I realize this is his show and "if I were offended I would have left at anncat 6" right? Yes I did. I didn't use any strong language or post anything that would lead someone to believe that I was irrational and needs to "calm down" right? I believe so. So what is the point of your post seeing that I addressed those issues before you even posted. I'm not mad but just wanted to know what you thought would be gained by posting what I already have. But using your comparison I know what my problem is. I didn't realize Zac was a Comedian. My fault fault, I guess maybe I should look towards Justin for anime insight and look to Zac solely for laughs.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by the comedian thing, but okay, sure. If you claim you weren't offended or annoyed by the political mention, then I don't quite understand why you mentioned it in the first place. But I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth so I'll leave it be.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Curse you, Zac, for bringing up The Blood Waters of Dr. Z. Now I'm going to have that movie's opening song stuck in my head, especially the chorus. I'm going to work today, and in my little office, I'm going to have the sudden urge to sing, "Planning REVEEEEEEEEEEENGE on my friends!" right as someone walks in to give me a graphic request. The awkwardness will be palpable.

Anyway, Merideth's finding out how terrible some of her childhood TV series were is the one reason I'm never going back to watch Voltron. Ever. It's a perfectly fine series in my head. And so was The Mysterious Cities of Gold before I bought the boxset and had everything but the history lessons on human sacrifice ruined....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
@ikillchicken: I think the Moribito stakpak was only offered in Wal-Marts in the US. I looked in about 3 or 4 Wal-Marts here in Ontario and never found it. And according to that link The Count provided, they've now jacked the price from $30 to $50. But you should check Amazon or eBay periodically - it wouldn't surprise me if the stakpak shows up there at some point.

I was able to snag the four 2-packs from TRSI for $20 each during a weekly special which is more than I like to pay for a series, but I really enjoyed it so I guess it won't kill me to go above my usual TRSI $37.49 (before my 10% GotAnime discount) price point for a 26 episode series.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Good to hear that Queen's Blade was flawless as I am thinking about getting it after I get Gao Gai Gar.

GaoGaiGar is insanely awesome, and well worth buying. I went with the artbox sets since they're only a teeny bit more than than the liteboxes, and just look really cool.

Sounds like Queen's Blade should do well for MB.

This ANNCast convinced me that I shouldn't get so stressed out over piracy- there's actual fans out there buying stuff, and the people who refuse to buy are just a very vocal/rude type who populate some spots on the net.

Plus, buying/collecting is always awesomer :)

Don't have a pic of my GGG sets though- the robot face on the sides of the box can match up if you put them together, which makes for a neat display [would be cooler if I had more than one GGG toy though]
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Lol, Nick got mad at them for Invader Zim selling so well Razz I know I've got my copies, maybe if Nick hadn't treated the show like dirt to begin with...but that's in the past, I'll just laugh for now.

Yeah, THAT makes sense. Rolling Eyes Nick (or most likely Paramount) got upset at AnimeWorks for making money, and so I'm guessing they pulled the license for something that petty? And they're not releasing Zim again on DVD. So, now no one's making any money except for the people trying to get $50/disc on Amazon.

THANK GOD I found these cheap a while back. At least one of my work buddies can be happy.

And apparently the Moribito stackpack is being scalped too ($70 for a stackpack is too much, if you're going to blow that much on Moribito in the first place, just buy the pretty set from Right Stuf and call it a day).

It also sucks that the Lodoss prints got tossed. Whose brilliant idea was that?

And finally - replacing Two and a Half Men with Fullmetal Alchemist? I see no problem with that, were it actually feasible. Laughing
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting talk on the fansub debate. It must have been incredibly frustrating to watch everyone at each others throats with all that misinformation.

Oh god. Apocalypse Zero. And did someone mention Weenie - The 90 year old man with a dragon pen*s?

I would have posted a link in a spoiler but you know ... there are rules to follow by.

But there is a classic panel which you can see on youtube (uploaded by the guy himself) called the "Horrors of anime" which gave a nice introduction into the worst of it - I was introduced to Apocalypse Zero through it.

*shivers as it brings back old memories*[/url]
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
I really liked the show alot, Meredith was a very entertaining guest and I was always hoping someone from MB would come on the show.

ah, Weiss, I know its a terrible show, I can't even re-watch the whole thing (I usually give up about...5 episodes in?).
But every time I try to watch it, I just sit back watching the opening sequence thinking "Yeah! This is gonna be awesome!".......then the song ends and I turn off the tv.
and I'm sure the sequel is better (still haven't seen it). but I think just the sudden character design change just turned off alot of the previous fans.
I thought it was stranger that MB didn't get the Weiss OAV if the TV series did so well? I dunno.

I would like just a little more "how well stuff did" info. all I really have to let me know that my favorite show is doing ok is the Amazon "bestsellers" rankings :/ I mean, I understand their reasonings behind it and I'm not saying they should be completely transparent.
but..just a little "yeah, this did surprisingly well! thanks everyone!" would be nice. It'd probably even urge me to check the show out more.

(also, I wanted to apologize for feeding one more semi-rant to the Bang Zoom thread.)
Dakaran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
I want to ask because I might read wrong but are they still releasing the new edition of Lodoss War or not because that was on my buy list at the very top for such a grand rpg classic anime???
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I really liked the show alot, Meredith was a very entertaining guest and I was always hoping someone from MB would come on the show.

ah, Weiss, I know its a terrible show, I can't even re-watch the whole thing (I usually give up about...5 episodes in?).
But every time I try to watch it, I just sit back watching the opening sequence thinking "Yeah! This is gonna be awesome!".......then the song ends and I turn off the tv.
and I'm sure the sequel is better (still haven't seen it). but I think just the sudden character design change just turned off alot of the previous fans.
I thought it was stranger that MB didn't get the Weiss OAV if the TV series did so well? I dunno.

I would like just a little more "how well stuff did" info. all I really have to let me know that my favorite show is doing ok is the Amazon "bestsellers" rankings :/ I mean, I understand their reasonings behind it and I'm not saying they should be completely transparent.
but..just a little "yeah, this did surprisingly well! thanks everyone!" would be nice. It'd probably even urge me to check the show out more.

(also, I wanted to apologize for feeding one more semi-rant to the Bang Zoom thread.)

That's because the opening was done by Masami Obari who was the animation director for the Fatal Fury OVAs, and Directed Gravion, and Angel Blade.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
Zac, your computer voice frightens me.

Drat, I clicked hopping the title would somehow give me some sort of talk about Dethklok, or at least all things Metal! Ok, I wasn't wasn't really expecting that.

Curse Nickelodeon to the lowest levels of hell. They @#R$#@$^% Jhonen Vasquez in the @!$!# and then skull @#$%@ his eye socket, leaving him a twitching mass who has completely sworn off ever creating another animated project because of his experience with those bastards. THAT is a crime against humanity and culture, leaving us only to wonder what other demented/disturbing yet intriguing projects Vasquez may have created, because there's no doubt Invader Zim has it's own place in American Animation history. I will never forgive Nicklodeon, not that they care.

Especially since I continue to give them my money when I purposely go into the nearest Hot Topic looking for the latest Gir merchandise. It shamefully turns me into a squealing, salivating fangirl mess. (where is the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee merch? Jhonen, I will buy it!) I'll also sadly continue to support Nickelodeon because of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I guess as a fan of animation in general I have no choice but to support the monster that is that network.

Nickelodeon just had to ruin my Pinky and the Brain, then go on to ruin and prematurely cancel Invader Zim. Unforgivable! May the legions of doom, doom, DOOM have their way with them!

Oh my, it seems I was temporarily possessed by a passionate hate I almost forgot all about, and made a little rant.

And yes, Meredith's dvd art was superior! You guys released the most awesome artbox in existence!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8