• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dethtok

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SConnolly

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Yes I do. She's a voice actress, and I mean this with no disrespect, but no voice actors that I know of are in a position to know about licensing at all. They do, however, constantly get asked about business things, so they tease things they don't know about all the time at panels. It is very common practice.

She is a voice actress, but she is also married to Matt Greenfield. So, she would probably know more about the ins and outs of things by association. Everything? No. More? Certainly.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
I really have a problem understanding the series titles Shocked I keep having to listen to the same part over and over again, trying to hear what series they're talking about, and I simply don't understand the titles oO Which series has the blood raining from the sky and then catching fire? ^^;;

So happy to hear that 12 Kingdoms and Guardian of the Spirit are doing well.
You can watch Beast Player Erin on crunchyroll to check it out ... and then license it. Laughing
I dare say the story itself is as epic as Moribito. It is aimed at a younger audience for sure, but it is still among the best fantasy series out there.

Yes, Moribito and Erin are by the same author. And funny enough, Moribito is based on a children's novel, while Erin is not. Which is why I believe that the Erin anime can very well please an adult audience. I'd compare it to the Ghibli kind of fantasy or World Masterpiece Theatre series, which manage to fascinate children and adults alike.

As Erin has been quite successful in Japan, I think we can expect some more adaptions of Nahoko Uehashi's novels.

Another epic fantasy that came out recently is Guin Saga. Personally i didn't like that one so much, but very beautiful music.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I don't know why I'm bothering to reply to this, but what the hell.

_V_ wrote:
How well is it doing on DVD/Blu-ray? I haven't heard a figure, I assume well. How well did it do theatrically?

DVD/BD: No data yet.
Theatrical: OK for a small run with little to no marketing spend. No idea what they spent to strike a dub print though. If it was Dolby SRD encoded and they did English opticals for credits, they blew some money on it.

...I truly wish there were some way to convince NTV of the obvious: apart from say a Miyazaki film...its madness to try to release these things in theaters.

To convince them that just because Rebuild of Eva was #1 at the Japanese box office, doesn't mean it can *possibly* perform in US theaters.

Continuing to force the licensor to make a theatrical run is a disaster, and meanwhile, the fansubbers win, as the longer its out in Japan the longer they have to pirate it here.

It wasn't even a matter of "prestige"....I don't think most people even noticed it was running.

(Ironically, the New York Times actually did a review when it ran for a week in NYC, but the review was utterly half-assed)

seriously, you'd think the problems with running Eva 1.0 theatrically would convince them that running Eva 2.0 theatrically wasn't worth it.

Question: while you can't answer everything and I understand that....Section 23 is putting out quite a few English dubs again, recently announcing they're dubbing Golgo 13. Is this the sign of healthy growth, or desperate "on the margin spending", spending borrowed money to make the dubs in hopes they'll earn it back later?
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
SConnolly wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Yes I do. She's a voice actress, and I mean this with no disrespect, but no voice actors that I know of are in a position to know about licensing at all. They do, however, constantly get asked about business things, so they tease things they don't know about all the time at panels. It is very common practice.

She is a voice actress, but she is also married to Matt Greenfield. So, she would probably know more about the ins and outs of things by association. Everything? No. More? Certainly.

Maybe,but just because they are married doesn't mean He tells Her every little thing and if Tiffany Grant does have any insider knowledge She maybe not be able to share it with the Fans with out betraying her professional and Personal confidence with Matt.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
oh here we go, I'd been waiting to here ANNCast's opinion on the Bang Zoom event.

Okay, admittedly saying something like "Anime is going to die" in this case is an exaggeration that cause unnecessary drama. For Sherman though, I think he must have felt that it would take a statement as shocking as this one to get people to pay attention (since reason has obviously failed up till now).

Now what I really like here is how Zac pointed out how many people don't have the facts straight since it's the truth. It also shows how ignorant all of us really are (myself included).

And now the fansubs. The partisan politics reference really is a true one, and a lot of us will say anything to get to the conclusion we want. However (and before I say this my bias is kicking in), I tend to think that it's gotta be hard to not know unequivocally that fansubs have some harmful effect on the industry. I mean just last week you guys had indisputable evidence showing the harmful effects of scanlations, so I think the same evidence can be found somewhere for fansubs.

I also fully understand why you guys aren't able to disclose some info. It's still disappointing though, I bet it could clear up a lot of these arguments. The same can be said about those working in the industry. This info could indeed tone things down, but at the same time it might make the company look bad. Of course Zac does have a great point about just talking about the positive stuff. In any case, nice commentary on this stuff. I found it interesting how you didn't take sides on this issue either.

On to Media Blasters. You know I always hat it when a company isn't updating their website. I mean I don't know how hard it is but someone should friggin do it! Honestly it seems a little unprofessional to me when a company isn't doing it.

It's nice to see a veteran in the industry who still enjoys their work.

She didn't like Gundam Zeta? Aw, c'mon!

I'm a big fan of robots and quality animation too. It's unfortunate that so many people are buying crap, cause that means less and less of the shows I want will make it over here.

Yup, can't dub Zetsubou Sensei, I knew it. I can't believe that there are still people I know who are holding out for that.

Geez, the retailers aren't even ordering ANYTHING anymore?! Oh boy this is terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
I didn't see an answer to the Erin question. It's aimed at the same age range as Moribito. The story covers Erin's life from a very young girl through adulthood, where she's at the center of a political conflict within her country, and trying to balance her love for the warring beasts she loves versus the necessity of protecting her homeland. It's a great story, for all ages IMO.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ikillchicken: I think the Moribito stakpak was only offered in Wal-Marts in the US. I looked in about 3 or 4 Wal-Marts here in Ontario and never found it. And according to that link The Count provided, they've now jacked the price from $30 to $50. But you should check Amazon or eBay periodically - it wouldn't surprise me if the stakpak shows up there at some point.

You could also check places that sell used DVD's. I was able to pick up the stack pack used for $15 several months ago from FYE. It was sheer luck that I happened to find it for that much, since I refuse to enter Wal-Mart and I didn't have the money to spend on the singles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
This rampant partisanship and baseless assertions ENDS NOW, okay?! Because it's time we had some FACTS and REASON up in this:

Meredith CAN'T be the only person who's a fan of Apocalypse Zero because I think Apocalypse Zero is effin' awesome. There's still a hole in my heart from the fact that Media Blasters was unable to finish releasing the manga, AND there are no scanlations to fill the gap. This is clearly a black mark on English-speaking anime fandom.

Also, it was not "a guy" getting squeezed like a tube of toothpaste. That was totally a GIRL. The guy, as correctly noted, got his skin sucked off before being consumed whole and regurgitated back up. FACTS, PEOPLE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I didn't see an answer to the Erin question. It's aimed at the same age range as Moribito. The story covers Erin's life from a very young girl through adulthood, where she's at the center of a political conflict within her country, and trying to balance her love for the warring beasts she loves versus the necessity of protecting her homeland. It's a great story, for all ages IMO.

I happen to agree with Erin being a great story for all ages, but it does seem to skew more towards younger viewers than Moribito does. Maybe it's the inclusion of those annoying dufus brother characters in Erin or that show's character designs and more stylized backgrounds, but it seems oriented to a younger audience (even though an old dude like me can enjoy it, too).
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
I might be a little late to the response party here, but I wanted to make a comment about Zac and Justin mentioning how difficult it is to release information about dvd sales and the like from the anime publishers themselves. I was surprised they did not bring up their Geneon episode and the amount of information that generated as an example of where they were able to provide quite a bit of information. (Granted, Geneon USA is not a currently running company.)

I'm not quite finished with the episode yet, but Media Blasters interview is very entertaining and interesting so far. Props on another great podcast!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order:

Ah what the hell. You've convinced me. I'm going to watch Apocalypse Zero. I don't know if I'll like it but then, I unapologetically enjoy Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808, Biohunter and all that old stuff so hopefully I've got as good a chance as anybody.
lostinagoodbook

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

As Erin has been quite successful in Japan, I think we can expect some more adaptions of Nahoko Uehashi's novels.

From your mouth to God's ears.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
joecoolhascome wrote:
All I can say is I REALLY hope Baccano and Durarara are successful. IM LOOKING AT YOU PEOPLES!!. I've bought Baccano and plan on getting Durarara when it comes out. Please buy them!!

Just had my underemployment cut further for the summer but I did faithfully watch the ads for Baccano! at Hulu (did you know that over 1b people have no access to clean water, and a 5hr Energy will make you productive in the afternoon at work, if you can get that much work?), and am watching Durarara on my CR subscription, with is a few cents more than watching it via Netflix or a bootleg streaming site.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Question: while you can't answer everything and I understand that....Section 23 is putting out quite a few English dubs again, recently announcing they're dubbing Golgo 13. Is this the sign of healthy growth, or desperate "on the margin spending", spending borrowed money to make the dubs in hopes they'll earn it back later?

Fixed cost one: the DVD mastering, and the license fee for a niche title.

For a small release, the DVD mastering and the initial press and the subtitling gives a break-even at one point.

The next step up, add the cost of the dubbing, that increases the fixed cost, so increases the break-even. The break-even goes up, but the market also expands a bit ... for example, note the remark in the podcast about the download market tending to demand dubs.

Then look at the next increments in Eva - the license fee for a hit, the demand to do a theater release ... there's a really big increase in the volume that is required for the break-even.

Now, some releases will underperform and some will outperform and even an experienced house is only ever going to be right on average.

So if you can afford to either do 10 medium dubbed releases with smaller audiences and license fees, or one major dubbed release, the financial risk of the 10 medium releases is much smaller than the financial risk of the one big release. Each release is a gamble, so if you have paid a fair price for the releases, you aren't going to lose the company on the 10 medium releases, but you could with one big release.

So Sentai/Section23 is working toward a particular tier that includes a slate of dubs, but even if it is working out, that is a substantial step away from being in the market for Eva.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
oh here we go, I'd been waiting to here ANNCast's opinion on the Bang Zoom event.

... However (and before I say this my bias is kicking in), I tend to think that it's gotta be hard to not know unequivocally that fansubs have some harmful effect on the industry.

There is the old-fashioned fansub vs DVD argument, and the statistical problem is getting the detailed "before" and "after". We can just go on Alexa and look at hits at the freerider leach streaming sites, and can tell that it can't be a big positive, because the hits are up, year on year, and DVD sales are down, year on year. Its either "not helping" or "hurting".

But which? Is it just a bunch of froth outside the market, or is it actually shrinking the market?

Well, compare this to how we work out that raising the minimum wage, within reason, does not undermine employment - look at collection of counties on both sides of a state border before and after one state raises their minimum wage, and see if there is a shift in relative employment on the two sides of the border.

There is no way of knowing how many fansubs prevent how many DVD sales and how many fansubs generate how many DVD sales. The opportunity for, "we were selling this many, then a fansub started, then sales dropped to this level" would be very rare, because in almost every case the fansub was there before the DVD was released.

But that is the traditional fansub vs DVD argument.

However, every distinct view of an ad-supported dub stream generates revenue. So we can be sure that where there is head to head competition between freerider leach streaming sites and ad-supported streams, each and every freerider leach streaming view is depriving the industry of money.

That's a clear and simple "bright line" in what for a long time has been argued to be a gray area: if someone watches a freerider leach streaming site for a show that has a current licensed stream, any talk about "availability" and "cost of boxsets" is just BS. Any leach streaming site that streams a show in direct competition to a licensed stream is taking away ad revenue from the content creators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8