• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New U.S. Comic Magazine F*X*T Planned for January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well, it's different from other mags in that it's a quarterly mag. It gets material from independent / external contributors, so there are much less salaries + benefits to pay. More focused, niche area. If the quality remains high I think they can survive.

Actually, I wouldn't be the least bit surprise if the artists are contributing at no cost and the revenues will be shared amongst contributors.

In reading the interview, I wasn't comfortable the artists took with their approach that fans want paper too. If this were the case, magazines wouldn't be in the position they're in.

Despite some issues, this project has merit. I'm certainly hoping the production committee ensures a few pages list out those who helped achieve the $10k goal. If artists think their works make them feel good on paper, imagine how people feel when they see their name listed to help them out.

I don't have this "Lind Trustee" badge for nothing and my push for it was over this very (selfish) reason. It does make me feel good and I wear it with pride.

The production removes the middlemen and that's the largest factor in a project like this. By maintaining their own distribution, it can succeed if fans enjoy the product. I think this project will be around for a while, especially once word of mouth (advertising no amount of money can touch) starts spreading.

Good luck to the team and here's success for trying something innovative in this new digital entertainment era. Just don't forget to cater to those who don't want print.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
As long as they don't call it manga, I can back this magazine up. I'm tired of everyone saying it's "manga" and they just ape everything from manga from the big eyes to the generic plotlines. It looks like a Sigikki type of magazine, so I will at least buy an issue if I can find it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
You can bet Tokyopop will subscribe, hell they might even be commissioning it. Wink
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
4 serialized chapters (20-25 pages), 1 one-shot, 10 full-color illustrations (possibly more), and 1 article show-casing an artist... this is basically what will round each issue(?). Fawn Lau seems to have some experience under her belt in the comic industry. This looks to be an interesting project. There's also a description of the serialized titles as well as a one-shot on the linked page on ANN's article. Is anyone aware as to the present status of ShojoBerry (on a completely unrelated note)?
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Cool!

I'll be sure to look for it when it comes out!
cetriya

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You can bet Tokyopop will subscribe, hell they might even be commissioning it. Wink

Question Question Question
PowFlip

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not annoying anybody by draggin this thread up, but I just now found it and thought I'd add a few of my comments. I am one of the artists working for the magazine.

I cannot speak for everybody involved, but I can share my own thoughts.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be the least bit surprise if the artists are contributing at no cost and the revenues will be shared amongst contributors.

We are getting paid and it is good. Trust me, the last thing I would do would be to fall for the "you'll be printed and get noticed! (so we don't need to pay you)" ploy. We've been given a fair deal.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
In reading the interview, I wasn't comfortable the artists took with their approach that fans want paper too. If this were the case, magazines wouldn't be in the position they're in.

You're probably talking about my stance on paper. But realistically, there is basically zero advantage for the reader to reading comics on a computer. The quality just isn't there. Maybe because I am a trained photographer and well aware of all the evils computer screens do to details and color on images I am more bothered by this than most, but the quality does suffer. There's just no comparison. If you're really into it you'll see it, and it will irritate you.

Then there's all the other downsides associated with having to view it on a computer.

And trust me on this one, a printed book makes a better gift than a URL. Very Happy

What are the upsides to online content? I can look at it at work and pretend I am working. And also... well that's about it really, on the consumers end. Almost all of the advantages for online content are on the publisher's end, not the consumers.

KanjiiZ wrote:
I'm tired of everyone saying it's "manga" and they just ape everything from manga from the big eyes to the generic plotlines.

Luckily for every single living being on the face of the planet: None of the comics presented in this magazine will be that. Fawn Lau has a good eye for art, and the styles in the comics that will be run in this magazine are basically unique in the industry. That is one big thing this magazine has going for it, is that the work is different and isn't something we've all been handed before. That's what attracted me to the project in the first place. That they were looking for new artists with interesting styles. Basically nobody else in the industry is doing that.

Anyway I'm glad that you guys are looking forward to this, and I hope my insights helped answer some questions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2