• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Spend 214.5 Million Yen to Train Animators

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakaran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Excellent news Smile
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
I feel the same way. Part of me feels uneasy to learn that most animation is produced overseas when it should be in-house.
H0shi

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
WOW! That big?!

Kudos to future animators!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
And what about this?
matrixdude

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
About time they did something to encourage more animators, especially since they earn so little in the first place.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
And what about this?

So basically Otaku in japan spend more on anime dvds than the animators make all year? That is incredibly sad. Sad
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
matrixdude wrote:
About time they did something to encourage more animators, especially since they earn so little in the first place.

Why, so these new animators can then turn and leave the industry as well? This article does nothing but show throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away.

I mean, personally, I think the 214M Yen would be better spent boosting current salaries, not projects trying to lure in future low-wage earning people forced to work long hours.

This isn't speculation, either, as news about low wages has been around for decades.

What a waste of money.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
I always thought the issue wasn't that jpn animators didn't have skills or needed training, but that they're paid so little that you can't make a living from it. That money might have been better spent if it was applied to their paychecks somehow.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I always thought the issue wasn't that jpn animators didn't have skills or needed training, but that they're paid so little that you can't make a living from it. That money might have been better spent if it was applied to their paychecks somehow.

That would entail the Japanese government admitting there is some sort of problem instead of simply doing feel-good education programs that look good to simple minded voters.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Based on all the reports coming out of Japan about animator salaries, maybe Japan could spend 214.5 million yen to PAY animators.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
well, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but when i read

Quote:
The animation production for each short is required to be based in Japan, and professionals will impart their know-how to the young animators through on-the-job training.

my first thought was that most of the money would go towards paying the veterans to train the new guys. I just figured some kind of large bonus would be in it for the pros as an initiative to do it.

but probably not
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Production on the four 30-minute original shorts, each with 38 million yen (about US$400,000) for expenses, will launch this June and last for about half a year. The animation production for each short is required to be based in Japan, and professionals will impart their know-how to the young animators through on-the-job training.

I should have read the entire article first. I wonder who will be getting the work? I hope they go with smaller studios because I doubt places like Madhouse and Production IG are really struggling to get work.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Quote:
Production on the four 30-minute original shorts, each with 38 million yen (about US$400,000) for expenses, will launch this June and last for about half a year. The animation production for each short is required to be based in Japan, and professionals will impart their know-how to the young animators through on-the-job training.

I should have read the entire article first. I wonder who will be getting the work? I hope they go with smaller studios because I doubt places like Madhouse and Production IG are really struggling to get work.

I'm crossing my fingers that all the work goes to Studio 4°C xD

but yeah, some small studios would be awesome.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought the figure of $400,000 to produce thirty minutes of animation was intriguing. Given that these are projects funded by the government, does that mean a half-hour of professionally produced anime costs considerably more than $400,000? I've sometimes heard the figure of $1 million per episode bandied about; that seems more plausible when compared to $400K for a project by an unknown animator.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought the figure of $400,000 to produce thirty minutes of animation was intriguing. Given that these are projects funded by the government, does that mean a half-hour of professionally produced anime costs considerably more than $400,000? I've sometimes heard the figure of $1 million per episode bandied about; that seems more plausible when compared to $400K for a project by an unknown animator.

that makes sense since who knows what kind of return they're expecting from these. Are they even gonna sell them? Who would buy an anthology of amateur works?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2