• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann's Director, Designers on New Gainax Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Panty and stocking? Seriously? That'll sure be the next great thing! Come on, Gainax.
bendomolena

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Great Britain from 1900 to 1930? Honestly, Japan's new facination must be the early 1900s because first there's Senkou no Night Raid and now Pansuto.

Can't really know for sure how they're gonna spice this up, but this better be good..

Also the title, Pansuto, is giving me strange wtf vibes. Really? Panty and Stocking? I honestly don't feel good. Hopefully the title for the series is just misleading..

I'm just throwing out crazy ideas, but hopefully it's not going to be something horrible like Edwardian styled moe girls who fight using steam powered mechas while wearing panties with tons fanservice thrown in just for good measure. I don't think I could handle another moe girl show.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
fuzaco wrote:
Actually, the title is Panty and Stocking, Pansuto is just a shortened version for it.

Source:
http://twitter.com/ampersand2009/status/13372416480

The full title has not yet been confirmed by a verifiable source.

パンスト is actually in the [url=http://dict.regex.info/cgi-bin/j-e/jis/dosearch?sDict=on&H=PS&L=J&T=%1B$B%25Q%25s%259%25H%1B(B&WC=none]dictionary[/url] (EDICT at any rate) as being short for "Panty Stocking", in the sense of pantyhose. My paper dictionaries are either too old, too thin or just not colloquial enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:

I'm just throwing out crazy ideas, but hopefully it's not going to be something horrible like Edwardian styled moe girls who fight using steam powered mechas while wearing panties with tons fanservice thrown in just for good measure. I don't think I could handle another moe girl show.

When it comes to Gainax, Anything is possible!

(I wasn't sure how moe could mix with Britain but when you put it like that....)
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:

I would buy DVDs for this in a second.

Also, Victorian culture is hella moe. Haven't you guys ever read classic Frances Hodgson Burnet novels like "The Secret Garden" or "A Little Princess?"

Kincaid's "Erotic Innocence" explains quite well how central the child's sexuality was to the moral dimensions and aesthetics of Victorian Culture, and the complex systems of denial-through-extreme-purity share a lot of similarity to the Japanese "moe." "Men in Wonderland: The Lost Girlhood of the Victorian Gentleman" is another really good book on this. There's a reason those Victorian-influenced "gothic lolita" styles are so prominent in moe design.

I guess it's unrealistic to expect many people who seriously study the sociology and academic dimensions of moe on ANN, thanks to the "ZOMG it's killan the animes!!" crowd.
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
bendomolena wrote:

Well, the twitter post says it's like Dead Leaves x Powepuff Girls x FLCL... so I expect something "(wannabe) edgy but still (wannabe) moe."
GARlock

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna judge based on the name. Gainax rarely disappoints and I've enjoyed almost everything they've put out. I'm excited to see Imaishi working on something new and even more excited to see You Yoshinari involved. Even if it's more of a moe/fanservice show (though I doubt it for some reason), I'm sure it'll be fun to watch at the very least. I'm totally pumped. Smile
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
This being Imaishi's first project after Gurren Lagann, that alone is worth being excited for this project for the time being.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
You know it smells like "fanservice" when you put these two ingredients together. You know it's coming. Be curious to see what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2