• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FMA's Irie Confirms Animating Manga's End in 2 Months

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shirochan88

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
chocobolily wrote:
Man, it's sad to see FMA go. But I've been loving these last few chapters; Arakawa's just as good as a writer as she is an artist!

Damn right. The last few chapters of the manga have been mega-epic. Looking forward to some serious stuff going down in the last couple chapters. Like maybe some character deaths, Al getting his body back (maybe?), and Ed finally making a move on Winry...just kidding.
kpk

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It's *NOT* going to be the end for FMA.

I will bet to you that Hollywood producers are in negotiations for the rights to adapt the Manga and i'll bet we will get at least a live action big budget trilogy before there will be no more of FMA. And you know what? I have nothing against it. I actually think they could take the story to some interesting places. And beside, it will introduce FMA to most of the mainstream American audience..

Also.. The setting of the show/Manga is an alternative Germany, so that mean no race problem if they won't cast Asians for the roles..

Oh, and i hope they won't cast anyone small for Ed. I mean, i always hated all those jokes about his high.. Beside, it will piss Vic Mignogna and that's already a good reason not to cast someone small for the role Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we'll get yet a third FMA series with another alternate story.

And designed in the style of Go Nagai!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
anyone that's been reading this manga for the past few months knows it's gotten REALLY good. I can't wait to see how this ends. The final battle with spoiler[GOD-Father] is gonna be awesome animated.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
Ahh, I could tell it was getting close. I'll be both happy and sad when it ends..... Happy, that I'll get to see the end. Sad that there will not be any more.

Here is to hoping the manga continues its awesomeness right up to the very last page~ Smile
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Oh, and i hope they won't cast anyone small for Ed. I mean, i always hated all those jokes about his high.. Beside, it will piss Vic Mignogna and that's already a good reason not to cast someone small for the role Smile

D: but...that would just be WRONG if he wasn't small......

Besides, there is a logical reason to why Edward's growth is stunted (no, it's not because of the milk). Edward and Al both come the realization to why Edward is small and why he sleeps a lot; it's explained the the manga. Smile In other words, its actually a fragment of the plot.
cnet128

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Grammar Nazi (or rather, vocabulary Nazi) time:

"Enormity" refers to something being outrageous or heinous. It has for a long time also been used to mean that something is simply very large, but a lot of people (myself included) regard this as a mistake. Judging from the source link, I'm pretty sure you're using it in the second, debatable sense here.

Particularly in a case such as this, where the correct meaning could just as easily be applicable, it would probably be better to replace it with something less ambiguous like "immensity".

(Back on topic... good to hear that the ending of the anime will definitely be canon, and I look forward to both reading and watching it in the near-ish future!)
darksharingan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great title, probably the best in the past ten years.

Can't help but agree with you on that.

I wouldn't rate it as highly as Death Note but it would be up there among the top 5 anime of the past decade, along with Darker Than Black, InuYasha and Monster.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Some other series should take note and just end already cough*Bleach*cough.
mglittlerobin wrote:
Unlike other mangaka, cough, cough Tite Kubo, cough, cough.
pachy_boy wrote:
I was wondering if this series was going to be ongoing like Bleach.

Really? Seriously?! Three??? On the first page?

*casts obvious biases aside that no one mentioned the longest running series like Sazae-san, One Piece or Meitantei Conan, and continues reading useful posts*

Well, I was watching the raws for Brotherhood since I buy Viz's manga and could follow it just fine (thanks to the near-faithful adaptation this time), but when the dub premiered on [adult swim] I switched over to watching that, and I'll be buying Funi's BD season sets as they come out. I also just bought the latest two volumes of the manga. So now it comes down to the choice I had with Death Note (though that was manga vs. fansubs). Do I read the manga ending first after Viz releases it, or watch the anime version first? Choices, choices. I guess I'll go with whichever makes it over here first. Such a great series, it'll be sad to see it finally done.
Thank you, Arakawa Hiromu, for your wonderful series, and may we look forward to many more years of great stories from you.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Fullmetal Alchemist is a great title, probably the best in the past ten years.

Can't help but agree with you on that.

I wouldn't rate it as highly as Death Note but it would be up there among the top 5 anime of the past decade, along with Darker Than Black, InuYasha and Monster.

I don't know if I'd count Inuyasha a top five-er, at least in terms of the decade, but FMA really is something that we as fans are truly privileged to have experienced.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

I will bet to you that Hollywood producers are in negotiations for the rights to adapt the Manga and i'll bet we will get at least a live action big budget trilogy before there will be no more of FMA. And you know what? I have nothing against it. I actually think they could take the story to some interesting places. And beside, it will introduce FMA to most of the mainstream American audience..

Also.. The setting of the show/Manga is an alternative Germany, so that mean no race problem if they won't cast Asians for the roles..

Doing a Live-Action of FMA would be awesome, but I think who ever
will direct it, needs to do it right otherwise, its going to end up like Dragonball: Evolution. And it also needs to have a good cast and I think it would be awesome if some of the Voice Actors from FMA could make a cameo
deadeye402

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
cnet128 wrote:
Grammar Nazi (or rather, vocabulary Nazi) time:

"Enormity" refers to something being outrageous or heinous. It has for a long time also been used to mean that something is simply very large, but a lot of people (myself included) regard this as a mistake. Judging from the source link, I'm pretty sure you're using it in the second, debatable sense here.

Particularly in a case such as this, where the correct meaning could just as easily be applicable, it would probably be better to replace it with something less ambiguous like "immensity".

Definitions of enormity, from Merriam-Webster:

Quote:

3 : the quality or state of being huge : immensity
4 : a quality of momentous importance or impact
usage Enormity, some people insist, is improperly used to denote large size. They insist on enormousness for this meaning, and would limit enormity to the meaning “great wickedness.” Those who urge such a limitation may not recognize the subtlety with which enormity is actually used. It regularly denotes a considerable departure from the expected or normal . they awakened; they sat up; and then the enormity of their situation burst upon them. “How did the fire start?” — John Steinbeck When used to denote large size, either literal or figurative, it usually suggests something so large as to seem overwhelming no intermediate zone of study. Either the enormity of the desert or the sight of a tiny flower — Paul Therou

Obviously, I'm a bit of a grammar/vocab Nazi myself. I think you're splitting hairs a wee bit. Very Happy

Anyways, I'm excited to see how this ends, I think Brotherhood has been a bit stronger than the original anime, so the ending should be great.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:
kpk wrote:

D: but...that would just be WRONG if he wasn't small......

Besides, there is a logical reason to why Edward's growth is stunted (no, it's not because of the milk). Edward and Al both come the realization to why Edward is small and why he sleeps a lot; it's explained the the manga. Smile In other words, its actually a fragment of the plot.

Yeah yeah, i know i know Smile
But i would not say it is an *important* "fragment of the plot".. They don't have to include it. They could make something else up instead. I also don't think that it would feel wrong if he isn't small. And beside.. Where would they find someone *THAT* small anyway?! Razz
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
If they ever make a live action FMA, it MUST be made by a fan of the series, fans usually try to keep as much in there as possible and try to make it accessible to a wide audience, if they did it I hope WETA would do the visual effects, that would rock.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
animeroxsmysoxs wrote:
kpk wrote:

Doing a Live-Action of FMA would be awesome, but I think who ever
will direct it, needs to do it right otherwise, its going to end up like Dragonball: Evolution. And it also needs to have a good cast and I think it would be awesome if some of the Voice Actors from FMA could make a cameo

Not to worry. There is NO way it will end up being like Dragonball: Evolution.
Fox did many mistakes with that one (given it a small budget, for start.. Confused), but they learn their lesson..
though, i don't think that Fox gonna buy it. It seem more like a Warner property.. They could make it to be something like Harry Potter. and if any of you saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince i'm sure you'll agree David Yates will be *PERFECT* to direct the FMA live action films..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4