• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Actually, according to just about every industry source, licensing costs have come down. I'd imagine dubbing costs have come down, as well, they really don't have much of a choice. Manufacturing costs should be declining, particularly in bluray. However, I don't know if wholesale or distribution prices have declined.

I don't know whether its an upward trend or a one-time shift, but the concentration of bricks and mortar distribution has meant an increase in distribution costs ... for example from big retailers demanding return policies that put even more sales risk on the distributor.

The online and direct sales channels OTOH should be stable or declining distribution costs.

This is another worry about getting the incremental sales revenue from a dub to justify the costs of the dub - much of the bricks and mortar channel demands a hybrid release, but as the net revenues from that channel have been squeezed, so the net revenue from the same b&m sales volume have declined. And with some outlets in that channel closing down or cutting back / abandoning anime, the sales volume is shrinking rather than constant.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
keikanki wrote:
This statement raises my eyebrows too. Taking a look at the Video Releases encyclopedia page and pulling that information into Microsoft Excel taken at face value yields the following results:

Total # of releases July-December 2009: 288
Total # of releases so far this year (Jan 5-May 1): 125
Total # of releases currently scheduled for later this year: 32

Assuming that the rate of releases we've seen so far this year keeps up (and looking forward that seems generous to say the least) we're looking at about 188 releases in the first 6 mo's of 2010 compared to 288 in the last 6 mo's of 2009; a 35% decline semester to semester. If there's a more opposite meaning of "slight recovery", I can't imagine what it would be.

I think you'll need some different data to prove your point.

It really is premature to project "rate of releases" for 2010Q4... a box set dominated market is also likely to have more releases timed for pre-Christmas, while OTOH to the extent that production costs are self-financed, releases in 2010 will be down as a consequence of the 2009 recession, entirely independent of anime's share of the entertainment dollar.

We can be confident that releases through the end of June have already been announced, so it would be possible to compare new titles released in 2008Q1&Q2, 2009Q1&Q2, 2010Q1&Q2, as well as total releases in those periods, and nail down what share of the drop in releases is consolidation of titles into single releases - eg, Nozomi's thinpak boxsets - and how much drop in titles.

And it would only be three point, but it would also be possible to see if there is an inflection point in 2009 - whether the rate in decline is at least easing.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Well about Hetalia, it's certainly not a great show but it has it's moments. I give it a 6/10, I certainly don't dislike it as much as Justin does. I tend to agree more with Zac on this one.

GO GO POWER RANGERS!!!!

On to Sherman,

As Zac said the fact that Sherman is the CEO of Bang Zoom! would give him more credibility than many others, so people should realize that this guy may know what he's talking about.

It's nice to hear him clarify what he meant by his statements about the industry, though for me that's pretty much how I understood it the first time I read it. It's sad news though and that's why we should all be concerned.

Was Sherman talking about Kelly Sheridan when he mentioned someone from a VA class becoming the voice of Barbie?

I like that Sherman provided some evidence of how illegal downloading affects sales. Now concerning his comment in the blog, I still agree that this is one of the biggest issues that we the fans are causing and have the power to change. And that's the big thing there, this isn't the only issue but it's the one we can really do something about. Those idiots who feel they are "entitled" need to learn that not everything in life is free. I completely agree with Sherman's analogy to stealing something off the street.

I personally am all in favor of the strictest enforcement possible, and here I disagree with Sherman and feel that this should be applied to fansubs as well (of course that's just wishful thinking on my part). I think it's all a problem and it all needs to be dealt with. I don't care about making a distinction, and I REALLY disagree with his comment that fansubbing might actually promote the industry.

I like what Sherman mentioned about Japan not even allowing the North American companies to get a hold of their shows till much later. I think too many people are quick to blame the North American companies for the problem when that might not be the case.

I really hope that Bang Zoom's condition stabilizes as Sherman hopes, very unfortunate that we probably won't see any increases in their anime though.

As far as the comment on Bandai is concerned, I'm more inclined to go with the statement Bandai made right after this podcast aired. As they said, it doesn't seem like they'll necessarily go out of business but the amount of dubs they'll be making may decrease or disappear. That alone is depressing enough though.

Dude, on national TV you should not be wearing a polka-dot shirt like that. Not smart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

[pulls out wallet and buys FUNimation product while putting Bandai one step closer to the grave]

No way. I've felt Bandai's been devaluing their DVD sets for years now and I'm not going to assist with their decision. I understand costs need to be cut, but there is a limit to which prevents me from buying. Personally, I'll not shed a tear if this company goes the way of Geneon, especially if they're banking on MoSH to sell well. Sounds like Imagine with Astro Boy, doesn't it?

If you're talking about DVD extras here they have had to cut back some, but that's only because people weren't buying enough when they DID include more extras. So what were they supposed to do.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
It seems fans are going to vote with their wallet with the second season, and that's precisely what they should be doing. If they didn't like the Endless Eight arc, they shouldn't feel they have to buy the product to "support" Bandai. Though I will be curious to see how season 3 gets released if Bandai remains.

This is true, and I won't be buying EE either. I do plan on supporting some of their other releases like the rest of Gundam 00 though.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to finishing the podcast. I'll start on the next one tomorrow when I get off of work.

Don't sweat Hetalia, it's gets better after the other characters are introduced. But I can see how some people find it a little weak, but I think it's funny.

I'm glad you got Sherman on so fast after his remarks made the internet explode. As I said before, I don't blame his reaction. HOPEFULLY, somebody gained some perspective from listening to this...(Noticed I capitalized "hopefully")

I'm not a big fan of Haruhi, so buying it is not a priority for me. Plus, the fact that their forced to do a straight dub of Endless Eight sounds.....taxing for the staff...that's a good word.

However, if I do see a Haruhi-Chan (I didn't like the original series, yet I like the internet shorts, go figure) boxed set for around thirty bucks with a dub, I will buy that on the spot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10