• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:37 am Reply with quote
The Bandai revelation was not the least bit shocking, they haven't had a massive hit since Cowboy Bebop, only Code Geass, and Haruhi have even been hits. Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, Mai-hime, Mai-Otome, and Gurren Lagann where all failures where they got the 15 year olds but couldn't get the people who pay for the show.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
I see. Well, personally I wouldn't mind listening to you guys talk about the current anime, and what you've been watching, for an hour. Well, TBH, I do like it more when you talk about the bad aspects...guess I'm just a sucker for new-one-ripping.

Forgot to mention: thanks for the heads up about Arion. I love Greek mythos anime, and this movie was pretty good. It sore has decent animation, considering it's from 1986. Thanks, keep the good recommendations coming. Just one thing: I didn't see any naked child in the movie, like Justin said.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri May 07, 2010 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:
Price point is a really big problem; Anime is still too expensive

Are you kidding me? Anime in the US is already DIRT CHEAP. The product has already been devalued past the point profitability, and you're saying it's "still too expensive"!? Does. Not. Compute.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:

Are you kidding me? Anime in the US is already DIRT CHEAP. The product has already been devalued past the point profitability, and you're saying it's "still too expensive"!? Does. Not. Compute.

Relatively speaking, I can get four seasons of Farscape for the same price I would pay for two anime box sets.
I love anime, and I buy a lot of it, but it is expensive, even if people say "it's more expensive in Japan" or "it was more expensive fifteen years ago", all of that does not matter. There can be no denying that anime is still expensive.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
So, Japan specifically told them they couldn't mess around with Endless Eight? Humorless jerks.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:

I don't know if it was put on or genuine, but Eric came off as someone who sounded a lot like an anime otaku from 1999.

His views on everything other than dubbing hark back to earlier times, like his praise of fansubs for helping the industry somewhat and quoting that dubs sell 10 to 1 versus subs...
There's nothing exactly wrong with that, but it strikes me as a bit naive for someone that would seem to be so deep in the industry.

The fundamental misunderstanding that he has is that his arguments imply that the Japan is some sort of black box whose decisions are uncontrollable, and all that can be done to affect them is by creating R1 DVD sales numbers.
This is no longer true.
If he wants more dubs to be made, and more importantly to be made at a quality that he himself would be satisfied in, the best course of action is not to attempt the resuscitate a dying R1 DVD market, but to lobby directly to the Japanese companies about how their services are needed.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:

Relatively speaking, I can get four seasons of Farscape for the same price I would pay for two anime box sets.
I love anime, and I buy a lot of it, but it is expensive, even if people say "it's more expensive in Japan" or "it was more expensive fifteen years ago", all of that does not matter. There can be no denying that anime is still expensive.

But... like you say, anime has always been expensive. So I don't know what kind of point Eric was trying to make.

If he meant "compete with fansubs", then it's a horrible idea. You can never win a race with free.

Or if he's saying a price point that's similar to American content; that's a bit foolish too - Since a majority of TV shows have already been paid for by TV advertising. Something R1 companies I'm sure would kill for.
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
So, Japan specifically told them they couldn't mess around with Endless Eight? Humorless jerks.

If they did, I wouldn't buy it.

And they're counting on my money.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Ranma824 wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...
Quote:

I don't know if it was put on or genuine, but Eric came off as someone who sounded a lot like an anime otaku from 1999.

His views on everything other than dubbing hark back to earlier times, like his praise of fansubs for helping the industry somewhat and quoting that dubs sell 10 to 1 versus subs...
There's nothing exactly wrong with that, but it strikes me as a bit naive for someone that would seem to be so deep in the industry.

The fundamental misunderstanding that he has is that his arguments imply that the Japan is some sort of black box whose decisions are uncontrollable, and all that can be done to affect them is by creating R1 DVD sales numbers.
This is no longer true.
If he wants more dubs to be made, and more importantly to be made at a quality that he himself would be satisfied in, the best course of action is not to attempt the resuscitate a dying R1 DVD market, but to lobby directly to the Japanese companies about how their services are needed.

And what would the Japanese do? Bandai Visual when confronted about how they would do dubs stated they would bring over the Japanese to do it. The Japanese have shown nothing but contempt for the American anime industry. Look at the actions of Toei and Bandai Visual to see this. Look at how Eureka 7 was handled where they micromanaged Eureka 7 to its detriment.

As is unless streaming revenue increases massively than if the American DVD/Blu Ray dies than the american anime industry dies. The Japanese are not going to save it, its nothing short of foolishness to even think of that.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
It's a shame about Bandai, I like Bandai a lot and I will be a bit sad if they go away. I'm going to purchase the rest of the Haruai and the Gundam stuff that comes out from Bandai. DBZ Kai seems a bit up in the air for me. I will wait a while before I decide if I want to purchase it or not. Regarding the Nanoha and Familiar of Zero dubs, I've heard both albeit just little bits and I though they were alright from what I heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
You heard me specifically say that Hetalia has many fans, I'm sure dumb people love it for the reasons I gave. I also said that I'm sure some of the fans are intelligent, but I don't understand what they could possibly get out of this show. I still don't.

Well, I mean, I think a few of us have given our reasons here in this thread. But I'll clarify some more, if you'd like me to.

I'm a cultural geography major. So when I first heard about Hetalia, the premise really intrigued me. Now, when I first watched the series, I found quite a few of the earlier moments to be rather cringe-worthy... (Italy's first declaration of "Pasta~" for example.) However, like I said in a couple other comments on this thread, the series does get more complex in its historical and cultural satire as it progresses. I stuck with it and have come to love both the series and its characters. If you have a passion for history and enjoy seeing some of the sillier moments of our past exaggerated and lampooned, you're likely to enjoy Hetalia.

Then, of course, there are the fans who are just there for the BL jokes. And that's cool, too.

I mean, I'm sure there are as many reasons for its appeal as there are fans and I can guarantee you we aren't all "morons." Wink
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dragon Ball (Z) Kai would have been much better if it was reanimated in the style of the opening, yes, but if you look closely, some of the art in the opening can actually be pretty awkward looking.
It's a good thing we're watching animation instead of a comic then. While it's always a nice bonus when an OP or a show keeps near-perfect character design continuity (ie, Samurai Champloo OP done by Takeshi Koike), the fact is most of these designs weren't done for animation in the first place-- and even if they were, there will always be a need for some modification for the variety of angles and perspectives that the characters are shot from. If you pick frame by frame of just about every show you'll see awkward looking shots, but I believe that it's how it looks in motion that counts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Read some scary news via Zac's twitter account...Scary news about Bandai. Don't add Bandai to the graveyard fandom 0_o BUY their dvd's. Now off to listen to the ANNCast

No.

I hate to see Bandai fail. I want to see it get back to being an actual player in the R1 market, but I will not purchase a series I hated just on the chance that my pity buy keeps Bandai's head above water for a little while longer.

The only way I could have been more irritated by Endless Eight was if I had blind bought the show. As it is, I'll be keeping the OCD in check until there is some sort of combined 2009 broadcast available, and then I'll just be buying for the sake of completeness.

Here's hoping that Bandai's other property is something I actually like.

EDIT:
Regarding price points: I'm not sure how low people expect them to go. I'm pretty happy with where things are. Season sets are pretty common and the delay between the R2 and R1 releases seems to be shrinking. If I can pay around $2 per episode for a series (after discount), then I have no complaints. I don't even mind $3 or so if it's a show I really enjoyed (here's hoping that NISA delivers on Toradora!).

Last edited by Takeyo on Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
Sadly, Endless Eight is not worth a damn penny. I would have accepted 3 repeats, MAYBE 4 repeats, but 8...not a chance.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:04 am Reply with quote
Agreed. And let's not forget that the crew of the Enterprise escaped their temporal loop in only only one episode, while Tom Baker was able to break his chronic hysteresis in less than five minutes! Wink
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Read some scary news via Zac's twitter account...Scary news about Bandai. Don't add Bandai to the graveyard fandom 0_o BUY their dvd's.

Now how and why should anyone do that if they keep delaying them every month? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10