• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
Now alot of people thought that if anyone every licensed K-ON! it would be Bandai because of their relationship with the kyoani.

Wait... what? Only thing I can think of that Bandai has released from KyoAni is Haruhi.

Everything else is either ADV/Sentai (All 4 Key shows and FMP? Fumoffu), FUNimation (FMP: TSR), or CPM (Both Munto OVAs)
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Now alot of people thought that if anyone every licensed K-ON! it would be Bandai because of their relationship with the kyoani.

Wait... what? Only thing I can think of that Bandai has released from KyoAni is Haruhi.

Everything else is either ADV/Sentai (All 4 Key shows and FMP? Fumoffu), FUNimation (FMP: TSR), or CPM (Both Munto OVAs)

Haruhi and Lucky Star. Now they have all the things related to Haruhi including the movie, Both seasons of the TV series as well as Haruhi-chan. So needless to say they must have a good relationship with Kyoani. With this logic it's not that far of a leap in Logic to think that they would license the other massively popular property which would be K-ON!
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Haruhi and Lucky Star. Now they have all the things related to Haruhi including the movie, Both seasons of the TV series as well as Haruhi-chan. So needless to say they must have a good relationship with Kyoani. With this logic it's not that far of a leap in Logic to think that they would license the other massively popular property which would be K-ON!

They licensed Haruhi and Lucky Star from Kadokawa, not Kyoto Animation. Kadokawa doesn't produce K-ON! It is produced by TBS with KyoAni, Pony Canyon, and Movic. K-ON! has the same anime production companies as KyoAni's Key series actually, all of which were licensed by someone other than Bandai.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Fri May 07, 2010 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
However, you're missing one vital component.

Cost.

Cost is a fixed rate, depending on how much work has been put into your product. If you need to sell 20,000 copies at 30 bucks a pop to turn a profit on your product, cutting prices in half means you have to sell twice as much product to make a profit. Now, in most business circles, this is a valid strategy, but in the anime world, where ever dwindling sales are rampant, cutting prices isn't a good idea, but cutting cost is. And if dubbing is a significant cost, companies would rather cut that than try to move twice as much product at a lower price point.

Not really sure what you're basing that statement on. I see no reason it holds true. You haven't really supported it at all.

Cutting cost is certainly also an option but that in no way discredits the other option of lowering price. If you cut cost by not dubbing then you provide an inferior product in some peoples eyes and decrease the number of sales. Does that decreased cost justify the lost sales? I suspect not but I don't know for certain. Just like I don't know for certain if the increased sales from lower prices would justify the smaller profit per sale. Nobody can really say for certain without a lot of hard numbers. Neither option is inherently bad though and all you're essentially telling me here is what anime companies will do which has no real bearing on what they should do.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

They licensed Haruhi and Lucky Star from Kadokawa, not Kyoto Animation. Kadokawa didn't produce K-ON!

Ahh. See now that's what I was saying when I said I was not sure as I don't follow that type of stuff. After all it really doesn't matter who it's licensed from and who produces it as long as it gets done and gets licensed.

Still I would think it makes sense for the show to be K-ON! it seems for awhile now Bandai has been trying to rely on Haruhi and K-ON! has a similar style and feel to it and would fit in nicely with what Bandai has been releasing recently. However like I said I don't know how the back end of the deals work so I wouldn't know.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more willing to guess that the "other title" is Summer Wars. I know there was that FUNimation rumor and all that, but it was Bandai who got TokiKake so I'd think if that did well (and I'm pretty sure it did) that they would also go for Summer Wars.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for a good show, really informative this time.

On a side note though, I really wish they released that 5cm Per Second re-dub on dvd. The old one has been out of sale for a long time and it's one of my favorite animes so it kind of sucks not having on dvd. Only new ones for sale are by people selling it for over 150 or more dollars.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Reibooi wrote:

They licensed Haruhi and Lucky Star from Kadokawa, not Kyoto Animation. Kadokawa didn't produce K-ON!

Ahh. See now that's what I was saying when I said I was not sure as I don't follow that type of stuff. After all it really doesn't matter who it's licensed from and who produces it as long as it gets done and gets licensed.

Still I would think it makes sense for the show to be K-ON!

With Bandai in the shape it's been in for some while, or the shape it seems to be in, I think they are probably the least likely to get the show. It's not going to be cheap license.

Also, the show would be licensed from TBS and I can't think of the last time Bandai licensed a TBS show. It seems most of their recent licenses have come from Sentai/S23. I think they would be slightly more likely due to their relationship with TBS, but I would also think Funimation would be more likely than Bandai.

But you never know. Sentai/ADV hadn't picked up any Aniplex shows in 2 years, and now they have a small handful of them.
Kimani

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to say this and Dethtok are my first podcast of any kind. Wow, I can't believe how informative these shows are, i'm in the processing of downloading the rest of them now.

Without this podcast I wouldn't have prepped my brain for Endless Eight, since I blind buy most shows.

Are there any other good podcast you guys recommend?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Not really sure what you're basing that statement on. I see no reason it holds true. You haven't really supported it at all.

Cutting cost is certainly also an option but that in no way discredits the other option of lowering price. If you cut cost by not dubbing then you provide an inferior product in some peoples eyes and decrease the number of sales. Does that decreased cost justify the lost sales? I suspect not but I don't know for certain. Just like I don't know for certain if the increased sales from lower prices would justify the smaller profit per sale. Nobody can really say for certain without a lot of hard numbers. Neither option is inherently bad though and all you're essentially telling me here is what anime companies will do which has no real bearing on what they should do.

Now, I'm not saying with any kind of absolutism when I talk about slashing cost. Could Funi halve prices, keep dubs, and make money? Sure, they could. However, when it comes to business, could, maybe, and possibly are not things you want to talk about, since there is a level of uncertainty to it. And when you get small companies like Section 23/Funi/Bandai together, they are going to travel the path of least resistance, and not gamble on long odds for big gains.

But consider this. If Company X needs to move 20,000 units at 30 dollars a pop to break even, which sounds better:

A: Sell 40,000 units at 15 dollars a pop to break even
B: Cut cost in half (theoretically), sell 20,000 units at 15 dollars a pop to break even

You don't incur extra cost by making double your product (in packaging, shipping, et al) and you make profit by selling the same amount as you did at 30. Heck, you can get rid of dubs, still charge 30 dollars and DOUBLE YOUR PROFIT. Which is why Bandai and Section 23 have switched to a mostly sub platform, it just means more money in their pocket, which is what all businesses want.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="FaytLein"]
ikillchicken wrote:

You don't incur extra cost by making double your product (in packaging, shipping, et al) and you make profit by selling the same amount as you did at 30. Heck, you can get rid of dubs, still charge 30 dollars and DOUBLE YOUR PROFIT. Which is why Bandai and Section 23 have switched to a mostly sub platform, it just means more money in their pocket, which is what all businesses want.

Actually in the case of doing sub-only releases, it's not so much to increase your profits, but to just make a profit. A lot of the shows being released sub-only have no chance of making any type of profit if you include the cost of a dub.

And no, if Funimation cut their prices in half (on initial releases) they probably wouldn't be able to make money. Later releases, such as Viridian and SAVE labels are a different matter. These are generally done to keep product on shelves (though this doesn't work anymore) and milk the last bit of profits from a product, at least in theory anyway.
loka

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Justin pretty much explains (in his Hetalia hate) what I don't like about Sgt Frog. That Zac liked one and not the other is odd.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SO what Sherman really meant to say is not that anime would be dead but that all the NA companies would quit it. Which is completely false; it wouldn't die, it would just change. While the current companies may stop doing anime, new companies are likely to start up. And if there's no major companies doing it, then fans would handle it. Although Crunchyroll is doing a fairly good job and Funimation doesn't seem to show plans to quit any time soon. The dubs might stop but it doesn't take much to sub. So I don't see an end to anime in NA for a long while.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Regarding R1 DVD-rips: they've been on a decline mirroring the fortunes of actual DVDs. You could count the number of groups still actively releasing rips on two hands. In contrast to the general anime viewership and consumer base, most hardcore online pirates/downloaders/thieves/whatever prefer subtitled anime over dubs. And a huge majority of that group prefers fansubs over official subs. So the audience for downloaded dubbed anime is relatively low. In the past, R1DVD-rips enjoyed some advantages that made them more attractive, like being softsubbed and having better A/V quality than TV-rip fansubs. But ever since the advent of softsubbed fansubs (late 2005) and upscaled "HD"TV-rips (mid-2006), R1-rips have become less and less relevant to subtitle watchers.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Regarding R1 DVD-rips: they've been on a decline mirroring the fortunes of actual DVDs. You could count the number of groups still actively releasing rips on two hands. In contrast to the general anime viewership and consumer base, most hardcore online pirates/downloaders/thieves/whatever prefer subtitled anime over dubs. And a huge majority of that group prefers fansubs over official subs. So the audience for downloaded dubbed anime is relatively low. In the past, R1DVD-rips enjoyed some advantages that made them more attractive, like being softsubbed and having better A/V quality than TV-rip fansubs. But ever since the advent of softsubbed fansubs (late 2005) and upscaled "HD"TV-rips (mid-2006), R1-rips have become less and less relevant to subtitle watchers.

I wonder if it's moreso that companies like Funimation put the dubs out there themselves, so dvd rippers have less reason to exist having already ripped most existing product, and having less overall dubs to pirate.

From the BangZoom thread-
tempest wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

You can also go to any show on Youtube that Funimation has up that have complete dubs and subs put up and see that the dubs get a lot more views even though they're up after the subs.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it seems like a good indicator to me that dubs are more popular than some sub fans want to admit.

That's an extremely good indicator. In fact, it's a much better indicator than the buyer surveys.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10