• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Shermanator Salvation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I really did love Endless Eight. I might actually buy it eight times.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
I'd also encourage you to check out PJ's "dream plan" if you will.

*sigh*

Once again, you make remarks that do nothing but show you're all in favor of keeping things just the way they've been for the last 50 years.

It's interesting to note how you make a remark that industry folks have said licensing costs come down yet completely disregard the fact everyone in the industry agrees things need to change. Why is that?

Oh, right. Because you believe everything's about value, thus should have an associated cost. It stuns me you, with a business degree, refuse to realize these are separate elements to anime. Cost and value are not the same thing. Many who fan sub put extraordinary value in anime without offering any cost to it.

Isn't the the crux of the problem? Though, I'm sure you'll disagree with this as well, given everyone should buy. Wait. You don't buy. In fact, you deliberately go out of your way to ensure your purchases meet such an extreme level before you whip out your wallet. So explain to me how your purchase decisions help out Bang!Zoom. No, wait. Nevermind. I don't want to know because I don't care.

That "dream plan", as you call it, pertained to the question of what I would do had I had money to make my own anime. It never once stated that's how the industry should do things, but how I would do things.

Even if the plan ultimately fails, it would have been a learning lesson to others seeking out new ways to capitalize on the value of anime while shaving as much cost as it could. I can understand your objection to my scant 25% of revenues I'd contract with, but you forget that I'd be the sole investor.

So now that you're debating, let's put some facts onto the table. Let's see if your business degree agrees or disagrees with the following:

FaytLein wrote:
Instead of it being 100,000 you have to recoup, it might be something like 80,000.

I was working with the assumption all anime was to be dubbed, but you're correct in that the lack of dub would reduce expenditures. However, the situation wouldn't change.

Working from the $19.99 price point, $100 buys 5 titles (let's forget tax). With this, that means a paltry amount of those 5 titles goes against each of those required costs.

As you can see, recouping $100,000 requires more buyers, and in a market that's not even buying $50 titles, that's going to be difficult to achieve with $19.99 titles.

This is why new products are released with such high prices until economics and competition drives the price down. DVD players were once hundreds of dollars and now anyone with a $20 bill can walk into a Walmart and buy a new one.

There's a reason why the price of anime has "bottomed out" at $50 for a box set. Any lower, and losses would be too tremendous to recoup. I should also point out I wouldn't be too surprised to see these prices increase. As the market shrinks, it'll be left up to the remaining buyers to offset the costs of those who no longer buy.

Despite many fans demanding lower prices, I seriously doubt they'll put their money where their mouths are. Even at $19.99, people just aren't going to buy. There would be an increase of sales, no doubt, but I don't feel this will be enough to replace the costs of those titles. At this price point, the buying audience would have to quadruple, and that's simply unrealistic to believe would happen.

Right, LRH?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Working from the $19.99 price point, $100 buys 5 titles (let's forget tax). With this, that means a paltry amount of those 5 titles goes against each of those required costs.

As you can see, recouping $100,000 requires more buyers, and in a market that's not even buying $50 titles, that's going to be difficult to achieve with $19.99 titles.

What you are missing here is a concept of elasticity of demand.

That is, increasing price or cutting price is always a mix of good news and bad news. Increase price? More revenue per unit - good news. Fewer units sold - bad news. Cut price? More units sold - good news. Less revenue per unit - bad news.

You can track which way the revenue is going by tracking the percentage changes in each. If a 50% decrease in price gives a 25% increase in quantity, revenue will drop. If a 25% decrease in price gives a 50% increase in quantity, revenue will increase.

The first is called "inelastic" demand - these are the more price insensitive markets, like selling to a bunch of otaku who absolutely have to have that hot new figure if they can afford it at all.

The second is called "elastic" demand - these are the more price sensitive markets.

And of course this is people who are potentially in the market at some feasible price - how many people "like" a show is of no consequence if they take themselves out of the market.

When considering the actual demand for the specific products of a particular business, they should never deliberately price in the inelastic range. Instead, where the demand is relatively inelastic, they should push the price up into the elastic range.

When you assume people spend the same amount of money, buying two discs at $50/disc and at $20/disc, you are assuming that the elasticity is one - right between elastic and inelastic. And it is highly unrealistic to assume that is exactly on the borderline. Either $50 will get people to spend more money, or $20 will get people to spend more money.

One problem with the anime market is that the demand is less elastic in Japan and more elastic in the US, If demand for anime was very elastic in Japan, then they would have an incentive to push down the price of R1 disks and try to make their profit from volume. And if they were pushing that policy, just adding one or more subtitle tracks and marketing to the R1 fanbase to equip themselves to play R2 discs would be the way to go.

But that's not the real world. The actual market part of the fanbase in Japan has relatively inelastic demand, so the commercially sensible price point for Japan distribution is high.

By contrast, when the elasticity is higher, then the mark-up over direct production costs should be lower. If the revenue net of the direct production costs looks likely to cover the fixed costs with something to spare, that's a viable release.

The problem is not so much that the "companies pick the wrong price point", as "the low price point product can't hit break-even". If the market were bigger, it could - that's how a Lost Season 1 boxset can be priced at $40/7discs and sold on Amazon at $30/7discs. But the market isn't bigger, so it can't.

One thing that could allow the release of titles with a substantially lower price point would be a reduction in the fixed costs. The crowdsource way to do that would be to crowdfinance all or part of the fixed costs by selling "Angel's" shares that pay off a percentage of net revenues once whatever fixed cost the company put one has been recouped. These would be deliberately billed as "contributing to bring this title to market, with a bonus on success".
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Because they didn't, I'm not buying it. And I bought the special editions for all four discs of the original. That was about $160, I think. I'm willing to pay for something if it's worthwhile, but I'm not paying for a generic, repetitive piece of troll fodder.

That would make two of us.

Too bad you won't support brilliance. Hopefully you'll pick up the movie.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

This is why new products are released with such high prices until economics and competition drives the price down. DVD players were once hundreds of dollars and now anyone with a $20 bill can walk into a Walmart and buy a new one.

There's a reason why the price of anime has "bottomed out" at $50 for a box set. Any lower, and losses would be too tremendous to recoup. I should also point out I wouldn't be too surprised to see these prices increase. As the market shrinks, it'll be left up to the remaining buyers to offset the costs of those who no longer buy.

I think what we have here is a fundamental disagreement about the direction the anime market needs to move in. It seems like you view the DVD market as something that is inevitably shrinking and the industry must adapt to suit a smaller market. I disagree. I feel like it is precisely this kind of fatalistic, reactionary thinking that has pushed anime into an ever shrinking niche. It's the same concept of higher prices for a smaller, more dedicated audience that we see in the Japanese industry.

I don't think that's the right direction to move in though. I think there is still a pretty big market for anime out there. Lord knows there are plenty of fans. There just aren't enough currently paying fans. Frankly though, it's not much of a surprise at a $50 price point. That's really very much a collector's price. You really might be underestimating the impact of such a major drop. I can't speak for everyone but for myself, the impact would be massive. At $50 I'll buy the stuff I really love. Honestly though, there's probably not more than a couple titles a year that I'd even consider flat out paying that much for. At a mere $20 though I'd buy practically everything. It's just not even worth messing around with fansubs. I might as well just pick up the DVD if I'm interested in seeing something.

Look, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe too many people just refuse to pay anything. I still believe though that a lot of people are at least open to paying something but aren't really given much of a chance at the current price. I think you just might see sales vastly increase at $20.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished the episode yet. I'm only up through most of the Hetalia debate, actually. I must say I'm surprised with Zac's response. Not only was I not expecting him to like it, but I was not expecting him to understand the appeal. He nailed it. Hetalia isn't some deep, profound series. It's just lighthearted fun that plays with national stereotypes. Also I would pay good money to see the 2008 election series with McCain talking about being old that he described as a parallel. MAKE THIS HAPPEN, JAPAN.

Also, a little more insight to why people like the Hetalia anime; it does get better as it goes on, but most Hetalia fans like it as a supplement to the webcomic strips and the manga. Hetalia is much better if you read it. The anime's watered things down a lot and has whittled down a lot of the side characters, because a lot of their strips apparently are unacceptable for animating (ex; Hungary, one of the few female characters, is a genuine fujoshi. However, a lot of the stuff that makes that obvious are things like France stripping naked and trying to remove someone else's clothing by force. Or anyone harassing Austria in that manner. They've been avoiding a lot of the France being naked stuff, so we don't get to see much pervy France or fujoshi Hungary). Also Korea is one of my favorite characters, and he'll never be in the anime for obvious reasons.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
What you are missing here is a concept of elasticity of demand.

I covered this with the time element, and elasticity of demand doesn't work in entertainment. There's simply too much, too fast, in which time becomes a problem. Affording the luxury of an elastic demand while trying to pay off investors simply doesn't work.

I don't believe too many investors are going to sit around and wait for several years in order to get their initial monies plus interest back.

Conceptually, the elastic market would be nice to factor in, but history shows this simply can't apply to entertainment. Demand falls as soon as the next title is released, and the process starts all over again.

This is primarily the reason why all entertainment is fixed with an inelastic cost. It is retailers, not the distributors, who then utilize the elastic demand, often times doing so buy cutting the price of titles in order to induce further sales.

Profits can only be made once the original production costs and all its ancillary costs are recouped. In entertainment, this has never been an easy goal to achieve with an inelastic market which has a difficult time trying to decide where to spend their money between shows, movies, books, video games, and music.

ikillchicken wrote:
It seems like you view the DVD market as something that is inevitably shrinking and the industry must adapt to suit a smaller market.

But it is shrinking. Regardless of the reason, the DVD is on its death throes and it'll be considered a part of history like the 8 track tape.

As technology begins to advance with on demand services, more people will opt for this than to "own" content. Right now, there's no marketable way to increase revenues from these on demand services, like internet streaming.

This is why I distinguished a difference between a consumer and a customer. There are far, far more consumers than there are customers, and this is posing a problem for all entertainment industries, not just anime.

Quote:
You really might be underestimating the impact of such a major drop. I can't speak for everyone but for myself, the impact would be massive.

I really wish I could underestimate it, but I've seen it in action to know well enough the short term requirements can not withstand the long term recouping needed to produce.

A few years ago, several gaming studios took this approach by releasing titles at a $29.99 price point. What happened was failure. People simply didn't buy the games despite having a lower price. Instead, they went for those titles which were higher priced, mostly due to "brand loyalty".

It's very rare to see games released at a lower price point now simply because this attempt had failed. There is no such thing as "the long term" in entertainment. No company can invest for the long term when so much is riding on returning costs of production.

Companies relying solely on DVD returns are going to hurt for years to come and the anime industry relies heavily on DVD returns. This is exactly why they're catering to otaku preferences. It's not because they want to, it's because they have to.

I do agree there's a huge audience for anime out there, but capitalizing on them is extremely difficult. Everyone at this site knows how diversified anime can be, so it's not the content that's the problem.

Throw in the industry professionals who state trying to get anime in the "mainstream" is damn near impossible, and it's quite easy to see why DVDs are the only viable source of income.

When the DVD gets replaced with on demand...
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
There's a reason why the price of anime has "bottomed out" at $50 for a box set. Any lower, and losses would be too tremendous to recoup. ...

I think what we have here is a fundamental disagreement about the direction the anime market needs to move in. It seems like you view the DVD market as something that is inevitably shrinking and the industry must adapt to suit a smaller market. ...

... At a mere $20 though I'd buy practically everything. It's just not even worth messing around with fansubs. I might as well just pick up the DVD if I'm interested in seeing something.

The problem is, the wholesale price point for $20 retail is $10 wholesale. Even with a 13 episode series on three discs in a single three disk case at 5/4/4, that means there is nothing to pay back the costs of acquiring the license, doing the DVD mastering, doing the subtitling, or doing the dub,

So evidently the $20 price point means first off abandoning the distributer/retailer market model and going to a direct distribution model.

Second, the margin is too small to cover the risk of not making back license fees. So the second institutional change is going to a pure royalty license.

And you still will struggle to cover mastering and subtitling, let alone dubbing.

That's where a production ladder would come in, just as Television series get revenues from advertising, then re-runs, then DVD releases (and now Blu-Ray) ...

A streaming site with free ad-supported streaming and subscriptions for ad-free viewing (CR has this, Hulu wants to move this direction) has sufficient subscriber base to cover the costs of the subtitling and the ad revenue has a fixed royalty to the original producers.

Then various sub-only download options provide an additional royalty income at a low price point - say, $0.25/episode.

For many of those, a dub is ordered, and episodes are released on a weekly timetable, with a higher price point for the dubs - say, $0.50/episode.

When a season is finished, it is mastered for DVD and available on DVD-on-demand. On one DVD-on-demand site I see, a 5/4/4 basis, plus extras on discs 2 and 3, that is $4.95+2*$2.50 = $9.95 base cost. Selling it in an eStore integrated in their system, they take 15% of the sale price in addition to the base case. So for $19.95, that is $12.95 cost and $7.00 royalty.

Now, where are we? The streaming market is somewhere from 5% to 10% there. The digital downloads market is not even that close. The DVD on demand already exists.

Of course, with crowdfinance covering the fixed costs, the royalties on the Video On Demand left after the royalty to the rights owner would be shared among the Angels, who would more expect to get a fraction of their investment back rather than a a profit.
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I truly cannot believe that someone whom we are supposed to take seriously as an authority on anime could invest so little time in his reportage to make a statement like he did, snorting derision at the idea that Hetalia would cause people to look up stuff about history.

Excuse me? Can't you be bothered to spend 5 minutes looking at any discussion forum? I have found, for example, an entire community on Deviant Art which have become fans of Prussian king Frederick II (aka "Frederick the Great") entirely as a result of this show and of fan artists doing drawings of Hetalia's Prussia palling around with "Alte Fritz".

My historian friend and I are presenting a panel on the real history references in Hetalia at several upcoming conventions. We did the initial test run of it at Castle Point Anime Convention (CPAC) in Hoboken NJ several weeks ago, and will be running at AnimeNext and Anime Weekend Atlanta for sure. I will also be trying to bring it to Anime Expo. I would encourage the gentlemen in this cast to attend the panel at AX, if they want to learn something more than derisive sarcasm.

I don't mind so much that he doesn't care for the show (in truth I am much less interested in the show itself than the effect I see it has on some fans, precisely that it sparks the interest in European and world history that Mr. Sevakis so curtly dismisses), but that he would make such an ignorant and derisive remark betraying a complete lack of interest in doing anything remotely resembling research. Are all his comments this pig-ignorant? I will at least give him points for recommending ARION, an old classic, but if it hadn't been for that I'd have to wonder what the quality of his other research is.

Let me give an example of some surprisingly obscure but real historical reference in the show, which is part of a tiny one-off gag which has no other explanation. In one of the first 20 episodes (no doubt well past where he stopped watching), there is a scene where Germany is training Japan and Italy in miltary tactics. He asks "What do you do if you're attacked by a regiment of Frenchmen?" (or maybe English, that's not the point.) Italy replied that he would wave his white flag. Germany of course angrily shouts that that means he loses, and then asks Japan the same question. Japan replies "I would emulate the wailing of William I."

Now what is he talking about? It might be better if he had said "Wilhelm I", who was the king of Prussia in the mid-late 1800s and became the first Kaiser (Emperor) of the German Empire (the 2nd Reich, though no one uses that designation). And in fact, Wilhelm I was known for breaking into tears whenever he didn't get his way. I present in our panel discussion a number of clips from the excellent 1970's British drama "Fall of Eagles" (about the fates of the royal houses of Hapsburg, Hohenzollern, and Romanov) which show Wilhelm I crying about having all his generals and Otto von Bismarck opposing his desire to conquer all of Austria after Prussia's victory in the 7 Weeks war of 1866, and about all his nobles demanding he become Emperor of Germany when he wanted only to remain King in Prussia. In fact, knowing this, it becomes apparent that in fact, Japan's remark means the same thing as Italy's - since Wilhelm turns on the water works but in fact always gives in to what his opponents want and never gets his way.

I would urge anyone with an interest in this examination of this and many other obscure history and culutre references in the show (which can be easily overlooked as meaningless jokes if you don't know what you're looking at) to attend one of our "Hetalia History" panel discussions if you will be attending one of the conventions I mentioned. If you can't make it to those, I do intend to put up a number of the individual discussions that go into the panel up as YouTube clips. I already have a little "teaser" up for this coming series, called "The Essentials of Stability", playing off a comment by Otto von Bismarck in the series I mentioned, "Fall of Eagles" and the need for "friendship with Russia".
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
@ikillchicken and agila61

If only people would've waited before jumping onto the band wagon as it were, there might have been an engine in it to make it go.
PJ you need both someone to consume your product and customers as they are two distinctly different things as the instant is "paying" for your service/product. they have become your customer, it's just there are a vocal group that are proud of just being consumers and nothing more, see toxic fan element.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Okay, here comes my spare change.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people knocking Hetalia 'because Japan is put in a favourable light while the others are made fun of.' This is not true at all : Japan is presented as a very stubborn person, but who is unable to ever say 'no'. (Anyone who has ever had japanese acquaintences should understand this joke.) He also is unable to state his own opinions (in the first episode, his only line of dialogue was to say that he agrees with America - not even because he had the same opinion, but because he didn't want to be different). There is one episode where he is shown as a spoiled kid who has locked himself inside his room and doesn't want to 'see anyone' or let any other countries in -this is a reference to Japan's period of isolation and refusal to westernize when it closed itself off, but Hetalia shows Japan here as being incredibly immature about it. He is lured out of his room buy the promise of something cute (cats, here).
Once he has come out, he is shown to try and immitate the 'cool western countries' (ie, America and France). I found this all hilarious of course.

Even so, Hetalia doesn't outright mock any country, it just shows us interesting and funny things about them and I personally find the characterizations very funny. Also, how many fans had heard of Sealand and Seychelles before watching it?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people knocking Hetalia 'because Japan is put in a favourable light while the others are made fun of.' This is not true at all : Japan is presented as a very stubborn person, but who is unable to ever say 'no'. (Anyone who has ever had japanese acquaintences should understand this joke.) He also is unable to state his own opinions (in the first episode, his only line of dialogue was to say that he agrees with America - not even because he had the same opinion, but because he didn't want to be different). There is one episode where he is shown as a spoiled kid who has locked himself inside his room and doesn't want to 'see anyone' or let any other countries in -this is a reference to Japan's period of isolation and refusal to westernize when it closed itself off, but Hetalia shows Japan here as being incredibly immature about it. He is lured out of his room buy the promise of something cute (cats, here).
Once he has come out, he is shown to try and immitate the 'cool western countries' (ie, America and France). I found this all hilarious of course.

We can't forget either that one of the very first jokes on Japan in the series is a reference by Italy on Japan's small penis size while they're in the onsen (episode 4). People who say Japan never gets made fun of just aren't paying attention to the show whenever Japan pops up.

No one is safe from being made fun of in Hetalia and it makes it all the more great.

Also Funimation updated, and up to episode 8 of Hetalia is now available online to watch.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
@Rheinhard I applaud you for this first post. I agree completely; a lot of people are quick to judge Hetalia without doing any sort of research. It's disheartening to see it from an Anime News Network official.

@championferret and littlegreenwolf Japan is also portrayed as a total otaku. The "I'd sooner die than leave my room!" thing that referenced the isolation period also painted him as a hikkikomori. Can't forget his U-boat gashapon, either.

We're all anime fans, so we don't automatically see why Japan being an otaku is a character flaw, but think of it from an outside perspective (the way most of the other characters do) if you're not an otaku yourself, you probably think otaku are really weird and nerdy.

Also, Japan is quiet, yes, while a lot of the other nations are loud and rambunctious. This doesn't mean Japan is being portrayed as "better" or "more mature" than them. It's just a matter of how, say, Americans or Italians are seen internationally vs how Japanese are seen. People usually think of Japanese people as very quiet and polite, but kind of off putting because it's so hard to get close to them.

This reminds me, I was also kind of irritated at Mr. Sevakis' insistence that Hetalia was "Japanese racism" for other reasons aside from the fact that Japan gets knocked, too. The goal here was to poke fun at international stereotypes of countries. Not necessarily Japanese ones. Most of these representations are what most people think of when they think of the country in question if they're not from that country. Germans are seen as strict and punctual, but not good with emotions and feelings. Italians are famous as flirts. When you think of Austria you think of music. England is the land of tea. etc. Also some things are based on the creator's friends and acquaintances from the countries in question. Greece, for example, was based on the creator's Greek classmate in college in NYC.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
@ikillchicken and agila61

If only people would've waited before jumping onto the band wagon as it were, there might have been an engine in it to make it go.

Most of the hitches in getting legit streaming up and running are culture clashes with the old men that control the production committees in Tokyo - and those hitches would happen no matter when it started. If TV Tokyo is willing to go for it, now is as good a time as any.

Quote:
PJ you need both someone to consume your product and customers as they are two distinctly different things as the instant is "paying" for your service/product. they have become your customer, it's just there are a vocal group that are proud of just being consumers and nothing more, see toxic fan element.

There is something from American culture here as well - with ad-funded broadcast (and now narrowcast) television such a big part of our entertainment industry, we are used to thinking of "ratings" as being a big deal and that when we watch something we are "supporting it".

But it is only supporting a show because the ratings go directly back to the rates they can charge for advertising. Take that out of it, and watching a creative work that was bootlegged is just freeloading.

Fans in music understand this a lot better - you cannot pretend to be a "big fan" of some group if they have not ended up with a chunk of your disposable income. "I'm a big fan, but I don't bother paying tickets or a cover charge to see them, buying their CD or songs on iTunes, etc ... I just torrent download all their work" ... saying that on the internet where real fans are hanging out, and you'll get blasted.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

We can't forget either that one of the very first jokes on Japan in the series is a reference by Italy on Japan's small penis size while they're in the onsen (episode 4). People who say Japan never gets made fun of just aren't paying attention to the show whenever Japan pops up.

No one is safe from being made fun of in Hetalia and it makes it all the more great.

Also Funimation updated, and up to episode 8 of Hetalia is now available online to watch.

When I first saw Hetalia about a week ago, that hot spring scene made me laugh the most. Oh and the bit before it made me chuckle. It was about the minature U-Boats and making them into 12 different colors and then showing a giant robot with a U on it's chest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10