• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Wondering Heroes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
too bad Matsuno isn't involved in TLS, but ya can't get 'em every time (even if he showed up in the Mistwalker blog recently). Actually he revealed awhile back that the reason he left SqEx was indeed due to the fact that everyone on the bloody team was being a jackass and this apparently also extended to the higher-ups as well. Ouch. Anyway, very excited about Sakaguchi's latest. Mostly because the artwork features a big blue tiger.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
Oh my word. I actually have that Macross game on a cartridge somewhere. Recognized the mecha from Robotech as a kid, but the game was disappointingly boring. And of course, back then I couldn't read Japanese. Smile
uragayduck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Best Macross game is the PS2 one made by AM2 (Sega's best studio in its heyday) which i'm sure a lot of people haven't played because of region lock.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
About Ys - If you're saying "real" as in original, then yeah you'll need to hunt down those old copies. But if you just want to experience the franchise, Atlus put out a very nice release of Books I & II on the DS, and the "original" games are available on Wii's Virtual Console.
Quote:
And with Persona 5 undetailed and Final Fantasy XIII a relative disappointment, those who cling to the J-RPG genre need to look forward to something

Gah! Don't put too much stock into the opinion of FFXIII haters. Or maybe say "disappointment/success".
Quote:
It's an interesting hybrid of real-time battles and player-controlled turns

Kind of sounds like a variation of the newer Wild Arms games.
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for these upcoming Wii RPGs -- I've been waiting for the RPG quotient to increase a bit before getting a Wii; I think there are finally enough for me to go for it now. (I'm the type who needs to have a certain number of games I plan on buying before buying a system.)

The Monado sword kind of reminds me of the Swordians from Tales of Destiny.

And yeah, Shulk is a terrible name.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Xenoblade and Last Story: I have to say I'm worried too much hype is going to surround these games and then people are going to leave disappointed after finishing either once. I really hope their premise is more promising than official info leads us to believe.

Ys: Honestly I never got into the series either. I only ever played one of the Ys games and never saw the anime.

Monster Racers: I remember the anime. A shame I could never find the Japanese version anywhere. But a racing game with new monsters not seen in the games or anime is just...weird. And yes, I remember Suezo Anime hyper

Macross: Now when ever I see anything like this, no matter how lame, I will forever remember Carl Macek.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And, because the NES and Famicom had only two action buttons, players have to push select to launch a limited burst of the valkyrie's missiles.

I've been familiar with this short title ever since I bought a NES-on-a-chip from an unsuspecting toy outlet. One must humbly admit that the missles of which you speak were not known to me before reading this. Despite knowing how ubiquitous they were in the series' action scenes, it never crossed my mind that the pixelated Valkyrie was seemingly lacking in weaponry. At least this revelation increases the appeal of the game. I may decide to play it again in the near future, albeit for only as long as it remains interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
to start push, and to quit what? off... hehe
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Shulk, heh. That's the nickname for She-Hulk as well as the name of a future version of her. Laughing Maybe he turns into a big, green woman.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Although I don't read or watch "Ikki Tousen", I thought it was embarrasing to hear that Valcon Games aborted plans for a North American release of "Ikki Tousen: Shining Dragon" all because the ESRB rated it M. But yet, there are already M-rated Anime-based video games that have copies being sold at video game shops (ex: a video game based on "Ghost In The Shell: SAC"). Could it be that no North American video game publishers are licensing the latest "Ikki Tousen" video game 'cause they're afraid they can't market it with the ESRB rating T?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Well, there's something you don't see a walking bullet hell shooter. Usually you fly.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It's confirmed that both Yoko Shimomura and Yasunori Mitsuda are involved in Xenoblade's soundtrack, which could explain why the music on the website is so awesome.
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, Ys 7 is on the PSP? Since when are Ys games not for a PC first and a console second?

At least with Oath in Felghana I could pirate it. . .
yaminokaitou

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
As a Wii owner, I am really looking forward to the Last Story and Xenoblade, though Xenoblade's character graphics aren't really that impressive. But the environment and music really make up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1