Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Responds to ANNCast Comments


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
It's disappointing to see long-time distributors like Central Park and A.D. Vision closing up shop, and I'd hate to hear the same happen for Bandai.


ADV dodged the bullet, at the expense of restructuring into several pieces, but they are still working and still putting out anime, as Sentai/Section23 now.

See: Sentai Filmworks Adds Guin Saga Fantasy TV Anime
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Grimsbain



Joined: 08 May 2010
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we may unfortunately discontinue creating dubs and focus on sub-only releases.


Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with that. I always pick the subed version over the dubbed version when I have the choice. I know not all people feel this way but it wouldn't be a problem for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
luffypirate



Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 3175
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Oh man this is the best drama since ADV went under.


ADV going under was a long, drawn-out process...and actually had some damage control with a weirdly happy ending.

Still, the real sign for me that "ADV is in life-or-death trouble" was December 31st 2008, when it was announced that FUNimation got Rebuild of Evangelion, not ADV; Eva was ADV's flagship series.

But after 2008 ended, we kind of went into a "numb" period in 2009 without too much big news...other than CPM shutting down, but frankly that was a fait accompli since 2006 (though it was fun to see ADV get Grave of the Fireflies)


Still...the ADV shutdown was gradual, which meant there was always another bit of news each week to yell about; Geneon shutting down was so sudden it was like a nuke going off.

Biggest industry news since 2008, yeah.


I remember asking that to Mr. Greenfield himself at a con shortly before they announced ADV's shutdown.

Me: "So Matt, whats up with you guys not getting the first Rebuild movie??"

Matt: "Ahh man!"

Tiffany: "Oh come on hun! Answer this nice mans question."

Matt: "Who knows. Lots of stuff that was out of our hands."

Me: "Well uh.. that sucks."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Keonyn
Subscriber



Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5566
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, it would be a problem for me to be honest. That's not to say I'd cease buying anime if it went the sub only route, but my willingness to buy it would drop significantly, and I'd probably only buy must haves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 392
Location: Boston
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with dub fans not buying sub only releases. That's fine with me.

However, I do get a little irritated when fans say that they are fine with watching fansubs but will not support a sub only release because they can get a similar product for free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RestLessone



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 1425
Location: New York
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
So, does this make me ungrateful or arrogant? I supported a product, don't enjoy the original dub in the first place, and don't watch it on fansubs.

No, it doesn't. But the problem is that a large amount of people are watching it fansubbed and then just using the excuse that since it doesn't have a dub they won't be purchasing it. Even people who already watched it fansubbed and clearly enjoyed it will not buy it because there is no dub.

That is being "ungrateful", because, let's say 'person A' thought Toradora! was a pretty good show when s/he watched it fansubbed and decided to buy it. Let's say 'person B' thought Toradora! was the bestest thing ever and has a poster of Taiga or Minorin in his/her room or something, but says that s/he will not buy the DVDs because they're subbed only which is a "glorified fansub". So they just use the excuse of no dub to not support the anime, despite really enjoying it, and instead hoard their fansubs.

That I agree with. My problem mostly comes from people's exclamations of "you must buy it subbed or you're arrogant" like the one I replied to. I accept that there are people who won't buy dubs because they already have the fansubs (even if I dislike that practice), but I dislike the arrogant sub-only fans (which is a small but vocal group compared to the regular sub fans) who treat all dubs and those who enjoy them more than subs like dirt. I don't see the point in someone buying something that they don't intend to watch or enjoy.
ZenErik wrote:
I have no problem with dub fans not buying sub only releases. That's fine with me.

However, I do get a little irritated when fans say that they are fine with watching fansubs but will not support a sub only release because they can get a similar product for free.

To me, that thought process is really comparable to scanlations. "Why should I buy the book when I can get the exact same thing for free?"; the only difference is books are solid and anime have voices. Besides, if fans are willing to watch the subs, why not buy the DVD? If Hetalia was being released sub-only, I'd still buy it because I like the original. If someone utterly hates it and can't stand to watch it, but would if it had a dub, and then it got a sub-only release, it's their right to not buy. But if they grab the fansubs and don't buy because it has no dub...

I really don't buy too much anime, in any case. I'm much more into manga. However, I'm lucky enough that series I do like seem to get dubs, so I get to choose which language I enjoy more (I still stand by my opinion that Wolf's Rain in English is much better than in Japanese, and I can actually tell Tsume and Kiba apart by their voices!). It also makes introducing others to a series easier, since many of them don't typically watch subtitles.

nailszz6 wrote:

I accept all bashing directed my way. Everything you say about me is completely true. In my perfect world, I do not want redubbing of "ANY" media form, from one language to any alternate language. I want the Japanese, and other countries to watch Avatar subbed, not redubbed. I honestly don't care about release dates, or release speed. This is about not modifying an original creation, not money/release time etc..

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but wouldn't this confuse children or be impossible for them to watch? Not only would they constantly be hearing Japanese, Spanish, French, and whatever else possibly within one or two days, but many of them aren't going to have the reading capabilities to pick up on subtitles. Dora the Explorer, for instance; it's aimed at young children, and often changed in dubs so kids can learn English, because learning Spanish is only helpful to a handful of countries. Not to mention those with dyslexia and such. I'd say that perfect world is faulted. It's fine to want things always available with subs, but it's best for people who are older and dubs should always be available for those who have a hard time with subs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sdhd



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Back to Bandai, they need anime like Cowboy Bebop that targets a wider audience instead of a moe audience. I can not think of any action anime since there has not been a lot action anime made over the last couple of years. If they licensed Cobra the Animation series and see what happens and test the water as to getting a feel of who the audience is. The show doesn't look like it did well on Crunchyroll, but the show is a man show and it has women. Also, the anime was Sci-fi along with a James Bond feel to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
I have no problem with dub fans not buying sub only releases. That's fine with me.

However, I do get a little irritated when fans say that they are fine with watching fansubs but will not support a sub only release because they can get a similar product for free.


Exactly! They only get it for free because someone else paid, which makes them freeloaders. If nobody pays at all, the anime won't get made. I mean, in-between animators may work over 40 hour weeks for $1,000/month, but they are not going to do that work for nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
poehitman



Joined: 24 Oct 2005
Posts: 93
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
nailszz6 wrote:
Quote:
we may unfortunately discontinue creating dubs and focus on sub-only releases.


YES YES YES!!! More and more good news just keeps flowing in.


Remember kids: It's okay to be selfish when you like subs, but god help you if you like dubs. Apparently, in anime fandom, sub-only dvds are great, and dubs are the work of the devil. I don't understand why it's okay to say you won't buy a dvd without a sub, but it's inexplicable that you wouldn't want to buy a dvd without a dub. Some of us like dubs, and don't like subs. Yes, I can read. No I don't want to cause I like listening to anime in the background. I tend to agree: if dvds are sub only, why not just watch the fansubs?


I partially understand their argument, but it has a fatal flaw to it. They claim if that if the companies don't have to take the time to make the dub, that it will be released much faster after the license. But if they can see it even faster if they download the fansub, then buy the sub/dub DVD that would come out when the dub is complete.

The selfishness of sub-only fans is what gets me. They want to screw over all the dub fans, just so they could get the anime they want faster, when they could just as easily get it FASTER via fansubs or even more "legal" means. Dub fans aren't like that. We aren't demanding that they remove the sub-only track from US anime DVD's. We want everyone to have it in the medium that they enjoy.


YES WE WANT TO SCREW OVER THE DUB FANS! How ignorant are you?!Are you really claiming that fans that enjoy Subtitles just want to steal everything and that your a much more of a loyal fan because it's more legal? That does not even make sense at all? you do realize how ignorant and condescending that comes off as?

I don't mind don't at all. I grew up in the mid 80s when they ADV just made horrific dubbing. Compared to back then the dubbing is more then fine, but to say the elitist sub only people just want to take it all and that you are a more loyal fan because you enjoy the dub is just stupid.

There are some over reactive fans who don't want dubs at all. They are just stupid. If it's on the disc who cares. I think a lot of people are saying that It will be a lot cheaper to just have it subtitles and be done with it and release it here in the U.S. To have to re-dub a whole series and re-edit part the lips and all to sync with the voice acting is extra cost for the company. As far as we know the industry is not doing that well at all and need to save costs somewhere.


Do you realize how condescending sub-only fans are when they talk down to me like I'm some lowly thief stealing kids lollipops. I'm not watching some low quality you-tube stream when I can watch a higher quality fansub download.

And do you people actually think we're ripping off the creator? At worst, we're ripping off the production company, though we aren't ripping anyone off at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3706
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, it would be a problem for me to be honest. That's not to say I'd cease buying anime if it went the sub only route, but my willingness to buy it would drop significantly, and I'd probably only buy must haves.


That's exactly how I feel. The only way I'd be willing to buy sub-only is if all the R1s said that they weren't dubbing anything anymore. Eventually, I'd get past enough of the dissatisfaction and frustration to make some purchases, but it would probably never get back to what it is with dubs present.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sdhd



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 169
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
It seems most people don't care if a R1 licensed does not sell well since it does not effect the person watching fansub. The person(s) is/are not interested in purchasing the R1 copy when licensed.

A few people says the Japanese anime companies primary source of revenue is from the Japanese anime fans and not so much from the R1 anime licensee companies. Whether a R1 dvd sell well does not impact the Japanese anime industry. Licensing fees are extra money for the Japanese anime companies only.

Does R1 anime companies matter at all since the alternative is fansub for the majority of people? Only a few hundreds of people or maybe a couple thousands of people are effective if there is no more R1 anime companies if the current state of anime continue for the next 2-3 years.

The anime fan that respects intellectual property. Paying for R1 anime dvds regardless if it is dub or sub because that is the right thing to do. No ifs or buts.

Wonder what would happen if there is no anime cons for 2011 and beyond. Would any of the people attending the anime cons in the previously years cared if there is no more anime cons? Invitations to the anime cons for only those who buys R1 anime dvds. Shouldn't people who buys get incentives. (This is just food for thought.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jsc315



Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote
what happened to buying a show because you like it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryo Hazuki



Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 355
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Why do anime fans hate subs so much compared to other movie fans? In kung fu cinema forums there's no way you see some one saying that they don't buy release x because it doesn't have a dub and you usually can read people complimenting the dubs for their comedic value only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber



Joined: 25 May 2005
Posts: 5566
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:57 am Reply with quote
Because dubbing animation and live action footage are two completely different things. With live action footage you have an actual actor on the screen who is speaking his own lines. In animation all voices are actually dubs, because the actor on the screen isn't real. Plus, the detail of animation is only a fraction of live action, regarding both movements and fine detail of the individuals. It's a lot easier to match voices properly to the lower detail of animation than it is live action.

The circumstances of the two are just very different. Live action does not lend itself to dubbing, but animation is unique in that it is not only well suited for it, but would be silent without it since even the Japanese audio is just a dubbed voice tied to the art. It's apples and oranges really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki



Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 355
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
But in this forum I can read people not only hating to read the subtitles but to also hear Japanese language itself. I know some people don't like Cantonese or Mandarin but I hardly see those people posting in forums dedicated to Asian cinema.

The other thing that seems strange to me here that even after people have watched the show in Japanese they want it with different voices. As a kid I remember it was confusing enough that some Bugs Bunny cartoons I watched were in English and some dubbed in Finnish and the Finnish voice sure didn't sound like Mel Blanc. I've even have some reservations in watching Harlock Saga or other newer Captain Harlock anime because to me Makio Inoue is the voice for Captain Harlock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group