• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor: 'Nonexistent Youth' Bill Needs Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
shaggyglasses wrote:
do it right or don't do it at all.

Aren't "Do it right" and "Don't do it at all" the same thing?

I don't see what's so wrong with it if they're just wanting to slap an age restriction on 'who can buy it,' in America we restrict minors from going to rated R movies. Also, most retailers won't sell MA rated DVDs to minors. They can have whatever content the makers want to put in them (well, that's legal anyways), they just can't be sold to minors.

But I do agree that this bill needs to be made much more clear so we can tell exactly what they are doing as well as how they would go about determining what is inappropriate to minors.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with restricting the sales of items to minors. Restricting the sales in terms of WHO it can be sold to and restricting WHAT can be sold are 2 different things. I think part of the problem is with the original wording of the bill that distinction was not clear at all, and you could easily jump from the one idea to the other. The latter being censorship. I'm all for restricting WHO items can be sold to as long as the qualification for that restriction is fair. In other words nothing with full or partial nudity can be sold to anyone under say 17/18 is fine but saying you can't buy this because you look weird is not. The real issue though and problem is enforcing the law should the bill ever become one. Just like in America that is at the hands of store employees who often are working god awful hours for shit pay. That does not make for a very positive atmosphere for some slack jawed retail worker to give a rats ass about who they sell what to. Love to hear how companies plan to fix that problem because if they don't it won't matter for spit what laws you pass. They'll just be for political posturing and to get votes at that point with no real effect.

Olivine wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Which basically says "regardless of whether this bill passes, or not we at Studio Ghibli will carry on as usual." Which translates to "We don't do smut, so aren't bothered either way." Wink

Which translates to "We don't do anything interesting, and we won't show solidarity with the rest of the art community because we're giant pansies."

Which translates to how about you all trying to speak for other companies as if you work for them and know what they're thinking when you don't stop it. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Olivine wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Which basically says "regardless of whether this bill passes, or not we at Studio Ghibli will carry on as usual." Which translates to "We don't do smut, so aren't bothered either way." Wink

Which translates to "We don't do anything interesting, and we won't show solidarity with the rest of the art community because we're giant pansies."

Which translates to how about you all trying to speak for other companies as if you work for them and know what they're thinking when you don't stop it. Wink
I fear you have been lost in translation. Wink
Ganryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
I fail to see the point of this bill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3