• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Streams of Cross Game Baseball Anime in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razzuel

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely be watching this. Also, I very much hope that it gets a DVD release.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually glad that Cross Game has been licensed, despite the fact that the streaming will probably be region locked and technically not available for my own use, but what I'm definitely worried about is whether or not it'll ever be available on DVD. I understand that sports shows generally don't do well in the U.S. market, for reasons others have already discussed far too many times, but it would be a shame if a series of this quality couldn't be legally purchased by those interested.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Thank you viz. Now let's hope they'll bring it on dvd with an English sub/dub option. Smile

Last edited by Redlinks on Tue May 11, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uh, no. Prince of Tennis and Hikago's DVD releases stopped and were never heard from again, and Eyeshield is being put out by Sentai. Viz is by far the worst company at not finishing what they start, in ALL genres. At least Funi didn't quit halfway through a season with Big Windup!

I was referring to both manga and/or anime. True, Viz has dropped many titles, but that's because... DING! DING! No one bought enough!!!
That's why we don't have Boys Over Flower and Maison Ikkoku re-releases.
I feel you, but while Viz may not live by the "finish what you start" motto, they've at least stuck around 'till now because of it. And... we have legal Cross Game streaming because of it. Not to mention the rest!

And, no offense, but I don't think comparing Big Windup! to Cross Game is a good example. Their manga sources are completely different in league and reputation. Sport similarities or not.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
It is, at worst, one of the best series of the past year.

What do you mean by that?

Think about it. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Uh, no. Prince of Tennis and Hikago's DVD releases stopped and were never heard from again, and Eyeshield is being put out by Sentai. Viz is by far the worst company at not finishing what they start, in ALL genres. At least Funi didn't quit halfway through a season with Big Windup!

I was referring to both manga and/or anime. True, Viz has dropped many titles, but that's because... DING! DING! No one bought enough!!!
That's why we don't have Boys Over Flower and Maison Ikkoku re-releases.
I feel you, but while Viz may not live by the "finish what you start" motto, they've at least stuck around 'till now because of it. And... we have legal Cross Game streaming because of it. Not to mention the rest!

Thank-you! If people want things to keep coming out, they actually have to BUY them. And Viz might not be the best with finishing their anime series, but they do finish their manga series! (Although back in the day they were bad about this too... I still want more Guyver! )
albanian

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I had no expectations that this would ever be released outside Japan for all the reasons quoted above. But as the series has been one of the greater joys of the last few years for me, I do sincerely hope that it does come out on DVD - not the least because I'm another of those who will not benefit from streaming as I live in the UK.

I suppose it would be absolute wishful thinking to expect any R2 (Europe) release, despite the fact that Europe is the ancestral home of baseball.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean Europe is the ancestral home of cricket and rounders, but I'll leave it at that.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Think about it. . .

Uhh..... I can't, for the life of me, figure out your turn of phrase!!!
It's at times like these, when I curse myself for not getting simple(?) expressions...

Key, are you referring to how everything else that aired last year paled in comparison to Cross Game?
Or are you saying that despite it's faults it still managed to pull through with it's merits overall?
I know you rated Cross Game a "Masterpiece" so I know it's a compliment... But... it I can't wrap my head around it!!!! Mad

It would be helpful if you could be my grammer/proverb teacher for one forum post more, but... that's probably asking waaaay too much. Laughing
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Think about it. . .

Uhh..... I can't, for the life of me, figure out your turn of phrase!!!
It's at times like these, when I curse myself for not getting simple(?) expressions...

Key, are you referring to how everything else that aired last year paled in comparison to Cross Game?
Or are you saying that despite it's faults it still managed to pull through with it's merits overall?
I know you rated Cross Game a "Masterpiece" so I know it's a compliment... But... it I can't wrap my head around it!!!! Mad

It would be helpful if you could be my grammer/proverb teacher for one forum post more, but... that's probably asking waaaay too much. Laughing

He means that the worst thing you can say about it, is it's one of the best series of last year. Which means it's VERY VERY GOOD.
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
I love the Cross Game anime! Yay to streaming it! Attention Viz: I will buy the DVDs if you release 'em.
akitainu

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Very happy about this. Cross Game was easily one of the best shows I've seen in a long time... and I say this as someone who couldn't give a damn about baseball or sports in general. I know a disc release is still iffy, but if it comes to be I'll scoop it up in a heartbeat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
Heheheh, it's interesting that half the people don't even know how to play baseball.... Laughing
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 am Reply with quote
what I do not understand, is why they are bringing a sports anime to america, we all know funimation has tried it also, and we will not get the second season of the big wind up due to poor sales, I have no idea how eyesheild 212 will do for sentai films, but since it is subtitle only, it might make a profit for them.

lets not forget all the other sports anime that have not sold well here in the states, we all know the names, so no reason naming them all,

here is my take on it, sports manga might sell, sports anime, will sell but not enough, so what is viz doing???? they have been releasing the manga of roasio vampire, and it is doing well according to some sources, so why hasn't viz jumped on the anime version, that show is still popular, and it is ripe for picking, the first season was great, and the second season became a pantie shot parody of its self, but still watchable, so whats the hold up VIZ????? why not give us some good vampire comedy,
Dolza

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
Colour me both surprised and pleased that this has happened. With the character designs and subject matter I thought Cross Game had the proverbial snowball's chance of an official release in North America.
Kudos, Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4