• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Streams of Cross Game Baseball Anime in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
what I do not understand, is why they are bringing a sports anime to america, we all know funimation has tried it also, and we will not get the second season of the big wind up due to poor sales, I have no idea how eyesheild 212 will do for sentai films, but since it is subtitle only, it might make a profit for them.

lets not forget all the other sports anime that have not sold well here in the states, we all know the names, so no reason naming them all,

here is my take on it, sports manga might sell, sports anime, will sell but not enough, so what is viz doing????

But Cross Game isn't a typical sports anime/manga, and that's why it may have more of a chance than most. Yes, baseball is integrally involved in the story, but the substance of the series is so much more than just its baseball element. It's about loss, about the lingering loyalties and grudges that can interfere with relationships, about people who cannot be honest with each other or themselves, and about the power of dreams and rememberance to shape a life. When it has its most triumphant moments (such as both the baseball and non-baseball climaxes in the final episode), it's not the baseball aspect that truly sells the scene but what else is tied into it and what it symbolizes.

Of course, if you're into baseball or sports in general then there's plenty to like, too, as the series delves heavily into things like line-up strategy, scouting batters and pitching to their weaknesses, and so forth. That its baseball aspect is often not as predictable as you'd expect is also a big help.

So many good lines in this series, too. It easily makes my all-time Top 5 for Best-Written Anime Series. It downsides are that some will find the pacing a bit slow, some of the character designs are needlessly goofy, and there are definitely series out there with better artistry and animation.

And Otaking09: Yes, I am meaning that this is at least in the top 3-4 series I've seen in the past year and might be #1. It will certainly be in serious consideration for my year-end Best of 2010 in America list, though it will have some heavy competition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
mudduck454 wrote:
...sports manga might sell, sports anime, will sell but not enough, so what is viz doing????

But Cross Game isn't a typical sports anime/manga, and that's why it may have more of a chance than most. Yes, baseball is integrally involved in the story, but the substance of the series is so much more than just its baseball element...

I totally agree, but that still doesn't necessarily mean it'll sell. They could do with some sort of gimmick, like giving out free copies of the first volume or something. Once you've seen 2-3 episodes it's difficult to stop.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I definitely agree that Cross Game has a great chance at success. It's more accessible and universally appealing most other sports shows. Even the mechanics of baseball are elevated to something beyond the game. I liked how the animation direction managed to convey the increasing wallop Kou's fastball packed.

I know the emphasis is on Kou, and while I know nothing of the manga, I really would've liked to see more of Yuhei Azuma, his relationship with Aoba (and perhaps some more drama as a result). He was the one who by far showed the most character development.

I do have two minor criticisms though: 1) way too many flashbacks (and one or two?? filler summary eps) 2) wished they showed more emphatic facial expressions rather than the "blank stare" look IMHO
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
I hope this comes to CR or Hulu. I've never tried Viz's player but using Funi's makes me want to avoid using anything ran by an anime distributor.
braves

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I hope this comes to CR or Hulu. I've never tried Viz's player but using Funi's makes me want to avoid using anything ran by an anime distributor.
Viz just embeds the videos directly from Hulu. FUNi's also going that route on their site with certain titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
They will be releasing Dual Audio DVDs right?
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
On Amazon.com, they say that Vampire Knight Volume 1 DVD will come out July 20th.

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Knight-Ecoa-Artist-Provided/dp/B003JSSPU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1273761971&sr=8-2
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
On Amazon.com, they say that Vampire Knight Volume 1 DVD will come out July 20th.

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Knight-Ecoa-Artist-Provided/dp/B003JSSPU2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1273761971&sr=8-2

Yup that's right. Mania.com has had it listed for July since March or so I think.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Viz just embeds the videos directly from Hulu.

Doesn't that mean that about 10% of R1 is locked out of watching them?
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Doesn't that mean that about 10% of R1 is locked out of watching them?
For some titles, yup. At least FUNi posts plenty of their stuff on Youtube as well, where Canadians can still watch it. Viz? Not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4