• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Theron's comments on the Princess Tutu volume getting an A+ in music really had me reminded of some comments I read in the extras for the Aria set (the latest one, OVA + Origination) lately. Satou Junichi, who directed both shows, notes how important sound and music is to him, and I think it really shows through in titles he's supervised. At the very least (since I don't do well at criticizing), they've always left a big impression on me in that regard.

Regarding some of the "moe" discussion again, I think what bothers me yet again is the tendency for the critics to be obsessed with the "creepy" factors around it, while ignoring all of the other less controversial elements that fans find enjoyable in them. If someone likes some cute character-focused show centered around girls doing quirky or heart-warming things, is it possible that it could be casually very relaxing and enjoyable? Or is the enjoyment of the show always carried to the point of creepy abnormal obsession among its fans? I think there's a wide variety of reaction to such series among fans who like them, and while the latter most certainly exists (I only become more acutely aware of it as time goes on), it is not all there is to it in my mind. Aside from that, though, I did find the discussion about reviews and the reactions on the forums to be interesting at times. I found the joke from Zac about Fox News to be particularly hilarious for some reason (the hardest I've laughed with the ANNcast)
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
"Eva 1.0" the cruddy DVD release, and "Eva 1.11" the god-like 1080p Blu-ray release, are two separate things.
Can't believe I forgot about the whole 1.0/1.01/1.11 crap for a second, but I'm actually talking about the 1.11 Blu-ray release-- as mentioned here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
Great, great podcast. Loved hearing from everybody and I feel like y'all really have this job nailed down.

Also: Theron Martin is a cool dude with a cool name and a cool voice. Cool
tankerboy

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Great podcast - Bless you, Erin, for saying something even remotely negative about Clannad.

I don't know who mentioned it but I know that I at least use reviews to discover material I haven't yet seen. A reference will pop up every so often right on ANNcast. But through ANN reviews, features and the encyclopedia I've discovered Dirty Pair, Shion no Ou (which I highly recommend), Airmaster, and on and on.

I did find it interesting that there was some discussion of lolicon (I've never understood the fascination with animated nudity<shrug>) but very little on moe. Which is probably a good thing. I keep casting back to 2006 when Haruhi said, "I believe moe is an essential factor".

Keep it up and thanks.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
You don't have to review DBZ, Erin, I usually skip over it anyway.

But it's my jerrrrb!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Lots of yelling. Someone's hair starts to glow. Mountain explodes. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I've never watched a single episode, but I'm pretty sure I got it right. And now you're free to enjoy your weekend. Unless, of course, ANN pays by the word. . . .
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If it's any consolation, I am also surprised by what I sound like on the podcast. To my own ear I've never thought I have that deep a voice. And accent? What accent? Us Midwesterners (I grew up in northern Indiana) don't have no accent! Wink

You must have hung around with too many folk from Southern Indiana, you've got an accent like someone who used to talk Southern but got better. ...

... or at least someone does - I went to sleep after listening to the podcast so by this morning I might have which person goes with which voice turned around.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Regarding some of the "moe" discussion again, I think what bothers me yet again is the tendency for the critics to be obsessed with the "creepy" factors around it, while ignoring all of the other less controversial elements that fans find enjoyable in them. If someone likes some cute character-focused show centered around girls doing quirky or heart-warming things, is it possible that it could be casually very relaxing and enjoyable? Or is the enjoyment of the show always carried to the point of creepy abnormal obsession among its fans? I think there's a wide variety of reaction to such series among fans who like them, and while the latter most certainly exists (I only become more acutely aware of it as time goes on), it is not all there is to it in my mind.

I especially liked the explanation of how "moe" became popular here. It's A) Creepy lolicon fans who fap and tell each other how awesome it is; and B) People who jump on the next "hot thing" ignorantly. Apparently, only extremes exist.

I really don't understand the ire people have about the genre. They always have to characterize either the show or fans of the show in such a way to make them seem outlandish compared to other fans. Like... they're trying to shame(?) them into not watching moe; or perhaps trying to prevent other people from identifying with those fans so that more people don't start liking moe. I honestly can't understand it.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:
You don't have to review DBZ, Erin, I usually skip over it anyway.

But it's my jerrrrb!

Hey, 'sup Coach Z. Cool
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
To my own ear I've never thought I have that deep a voice. And accent? What accent? Us Midwesterners (I grew up in northern Indiana) don't have no accent! Wink

No, no, no, "Midwestern" is the Iowa-Wisconsin accent that I have. Very Happy Indiana is a whole 'nother game. I've got relatives from there, and yes, you've got a twinge of the Indianan accent.

And yeah, before more people contact me, I just put My Neighbor Totoro on hold at the library. It'll take a few weeks for me to get it, though.
_V_

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
_V_ wrote:
"Eva 1.0" the cruddy DVD release, and "Eva 1.11" the god-like 1080p Blu-ray release, are two separate things.
Can't believe I forgot about the whole 1.0/1.01/1.11 crap for a second, but I'm actually talking about the 1.11 Blu-ray release-- as mentioned here.

....I'm not going to trust the word of some guy that "analyzed screencaps" and drew his own conclusion that "it's actually mostly in 720p not 1080p"

Prove or explain how that could have been determined.

Sounds more like some guy looking for a reason to whine about it.

The fact remains that the audio-visual quality of the Eva Blu-ray was said by multiple Blu-ray review sites to set a new benchmark for what is expected from Blu-rays.

But I digress.....

Yes, the podcast mentioned Rebuild of Eva, very briefly, when talking about Gurren Lagann.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
It can be determined by the amount and level of detail you can see. There's a difference between what is being presented from a native 1080p master in comparison to an upscaled 720p master.* And it's not just him that's come to that conclusion; I've seen other people notice it too. To reiterate what was said in thread I linked to, not even Pixar had their movies animated in 2048x1080 until 2006, so it's no surprise that a company that doesn't have nowhere near the resources like Pixar couldn't produce one either at the time.

Yes, the Blu-ray authoring itself is fantastic. Super Bit Mapping should be the standard, though it'll obviously have a greater impact for titles that have a relatively high budget than your average TV series.

*There's actually a nice article about how you could tell Brotherhood was an upscale from 540p right here.

Last edited by braves on Sat May 15, 2010 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Another great podcast. It was really interesting to meet more of the ANN staff and to hear a bit of their backgrounds and review philosophies (especially outside the context of the occasional forum explosion when someone gives a fan-favorite a poor review). And maybe it's totally off-topic for an anime podcast but all the film discussion is quite welcome too.

vashfanatic wrote:
No, no, no, "Midwestern" is the Iowa-Wisconsin accent that I have. Very Happy Indiana is a whole 'nother game.
Hey, what are you talking about? Wisconsinites don't have accents. Razz
tmsidr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
I think you're mixing up lolicon and moe shows a little bit too much up in the podcast. I don't see any sexual content in shows like K-ON! and most of the really popular shows are still very harmless. I never watched Popotan and it's really not my genre, but I really can't understand why shows like Clannad, Kanon or Air are bad for the industry. At least Clannad also has stories with realistic problems that normally are not touched in anime (problems with the father etc.). There are lot of moé-elements but at least there are a lot of other parts too.

When I take a look in the stuff that was released 10-15 years ago, most shows were also very creepy but for other reasons (over-the-top violence and all that hentai stuff that was the biggest part of the anime fandom at least in Germany back then).

By the way FMA:B gets really great when the new stuff appears and is one of the best shows I ever watched and I really recommend to everybody who thinks that nowadays no good shows are made anymore.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I really don't understand the ire people have about the genre.

Start with the general annoyance with lazy fanservice pandering in general in ruining what could otherwise have been fun romps by, for example, taking every female teenage character design to the plastic surgeons for breast enlargement before enrolling in HS, with a mandatory quota of panty shots and shirts that mysteriously explode when punched.

Ah, but someone can "look past" that fan service to see whether anything else is there when you do. Which means tolerating the incessant tedious fan service to watch the show.

And then throw into the mix the clear sexualization of pre-teen girls as the fan service. And some people's internal excuse makers seize up and they simply cannot look past that.

And then throw on top the professional outrage industry trying to generate outrage from it in the hopes that they can shake money out of contributors that have been brought into a state of outrage.

And if you really aren't interested in lolicon, and you see more and more lolicon injected into series as a marketing gimmick, its a quite normal reaction to wish that it would simply go away.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10