• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-05-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Although the Finnish Digimon dub wasn't really the issue I'd like to add that the first dub was made by a very notorious dubbing company that was known for horrible dubs and the second dub by a different company isn't that bad. At least both Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02 were based on the original Japanese version instead of 4Kids localization.

FYI, 4Kids never touched Digimon, in case that's what you're implying.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 am Reply with quote
ThegreatPirateKing wrote:
From my knowledge of knowing some of these actors, there were two dubbing companies in that area of Asia, the now infamous Odex and another, whose name I forget.

I think the other company is Omni Productions. They've done stuff for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as well, since I recognize their regular voice actors. Andrea Kwan, Candice Moore, etc.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

FYI, 4Kids never touched Digimon, in case that's what you're implying.

I got that wrong. Seems it was Fox Kids and Saban.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Why can't some people learn to accept that YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING JAPAN HAS, at least when they have it.

Actually, yeah I can for the most part. Through fansubs and scanlations.

Perhaps you mean to say I don't need everything Japan has but then, I could argue that we don't really need any anime at all. We just want it. Surely you can't fault a person for wanting something even if they don't strictly need it. That's a fairly universal occurrence after all.

So...If I want to have something and I can have it, your only real recourse in telling me not to have it is to explain why I shouldn't have it. Obviously you could make a fairly compelling case in some circumstances. In others though...not at all. It's fine to argue 'why must you pirate stuff?' but unless you can address the response 'why not?' then you really don't have a leg to stand on in telling people they shouldn't pirate stuff.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've seen cases where people have rationalized, theorized, justified and even spun in directions that aren't even realistic.

Hmm...

Quote:
But beware, some consequences are never ending and may actually plague a person for their entire life time. As harsh this may sound, not every person is granted redemption for their past transgressions.

Now who's spinning things in directions that aren't even realistic? You're attempting to draw some sort of vague connection between piracy and this campy little life lesson.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Heheheh, the thing about downloadable good content for nominal fee is: I'd get it, then probably share it with friends, who'd share it with other friends, who'd share it with their friends, and so on and so forth. So yeah, the company would get my money................... but that's it; nobody else's. Surely, it's not just my situation. (p.s. DRM doesn't work) Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:31 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard, Eureka 7 is Bandai's bread-and-butter, not Haruhi. But as for why Haruhi didn't sell huge, I think it's the fact that there are enough contemporary series revolving around otaku in-jokes that it didn't stand out to the casual American buyer. Plus, if you want my personal opinion, the fanbase for it came off as geeky as the fan-bases for Firefly/Serenity and Kick-Ass, and that probably turned off the casual anime viewers. I'm just wondering why that company thought Lucky Star would make money here.
halo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Perhaps you mean to say I don't need everything Japan has

Or perhaps he meant your not entitled to everything Japan has. you need a reason not to? How about you didn't pay for it and it's just plain wrong and your a douchbag for thinking you have some reason you should be allowed to just download it anyway.

One Answerfan had the seemingly great idea of offering extra pages in print manga to entice people to buy it. That sounds good until some jerk goes and scans it and uploads it. And you know they will.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Shouldn't TRANSLATIONS be circulating instead of scans?

I remember that, 15 years ago, when I was in college, seeing people downloading text files and reading them alongside the Japanese manga.

If things had stayed like that, or at the very least, if a culture had developed where it was considered standard procedure to buy the books you're reading scanlations of, it'd be a different world today.

I'm fascinated by the huge culture difference between import gamers and anime/manga fans on this topic. While there's certainly plenty of game piracy, it's nevertheless considered the right/normal thing to do to buy Japanese console games if you want to play them. Piracy isn't considered standard procedure the way it is amongst the anime/manga fan culture.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Example, Franky House has been doing a great job with their releases of One Piece!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm sorry, but as someone who in the past has tried to read the chapters in Japanese before anyone translates them, FrankyHouse is the last group you want to be holding up as a paragon of scanlations! Their translations are awful.

No, the best scanlation groups, I've found, are the ones that 1) work on unlicensed material, 2) purchase the volumes of manga directly from Japan themselves, and 3) don't try to get the chapters out ASAP before anyone else just for their own personal glory. Which are all good things. If any of those sites decided to go professional, to get permission from Japanese companies to release their work in English and charge fees for downloading, I'd be glad to contribute (though I'd still prefer books in the end, see below).

I'll admit that in the past I've resorted to the "read the latest chapter online" technique, but lately I've been so appalled by the quality of such products that I've become far more willing to just learn to be patient. Sure, there have been crappy official releases, but they are far outweighed but awful scanlations.

The only justifiable reason for scanlations (same as for fansubs) is to preview unavailable material; by which I mean unlicensed and unreleased products, in particular things that have an ice cube's chance in hell of being licensed and released. I'm talking about Rose of the Versailles, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, not to mention genres that don't sell in America, like yuri or smutty josei romance manga (I know a site).

Nor do I understand why anyone could use scanlations as a substitute for books if they have the option, ever. I can't stand reading anything on my computer for any extended period of time. I much prefer to have a stack of books to read, curled up in a chair at home or in the library. And yeah, in terms of previewing material, there are libraries, folks. I've been amazed at how much manga you can easily get via libraries, at least in America.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
The single most disappointing anime I've ever seen would have to be season 2 of Haruhi Suzumiya. My hopes were so high for that, and when it came out it was just such a big... turd.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
ThegreatPirateKing wrote:
From my knowledge of knowing some of these actors, there were two dubbing companies in that area of Asia, the now infamous Odex and another, whose name I forget.

I think the other company is Omni Productions. They've done stuff for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as well, since I recognize their regular voice actors. Andrea Kwan, Candice Moore, etc.

Actually Animax,Nickelodeon Asia,Pogo India,Cartoon Network Asia and others are using four dubbing companies in Hong Kong and that's Omni Productions,SDI Media HK,Red Angel Media and Bramp International Ltd HK.

Though SDI Media HK uses the same voice actors from Omni while Red Angel Media uses the same voice actors from Bramp.AFAIK Bramp both dubbed K-ON! and Hayate The Combat Butler english dubs on Animax Asia..Candice Moore voiced both Azusa Nakano and Maria(she sounds too old for those roles IMHO) while Muriel Hoffmann voiced both Ritsu and Hayate.

I think Odex of Singapore don't do English dubs anymore due to costs issues.

But there's another dubbing company from the Philippines which is getting some anime dubbing projects for Animax lately and they're really good.

AFAIK the only Animax english dubs that was released outside Asia are Monkey Typhoon and Nodame Cantabile.

Last edited by twinklestarex on Sat May 15, 2010 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Differently Phrased wrote:
1.) Stop printing the manga as oversized paperbacks with color pages and shiny paper and all that (DMP & SJ in particular). Not only are they hard and awkward to hold (I get cramps in my hands every time I try to re-read my volumes) but as far as I understand it, it ups the price.

What I suggest is: keep a small amount of them as a special edition for the hardcore collectors. For the rest of them print them at regular massmarket size, do it with recycled and bleached paper and give up on the color pages, then price them lower

*smacks head against desk.

We need English localisers to stop doing this not doing it more.
Manga are normaly released undersized, without colour pages, on awful paper and poorly bound. The degree to which this happens varies a lot too, with Darkhorse and Bandai being the least guilty and Tokyopop and Viz (excluding signature) the worst.

I'd far rather pay money for the more faithful reproduction of the original than an undersize that reduces the art quality to as bad as a magazine scanlation which it then ends up inferior to as it doesn't even have colour. See all the objections people on here place on sub only DVD releases, the being inferior (or at best equal) to the free pirated product.
The people that consistently actually buy manga are the collectors, I despise having to preorder all my manga as a reprint may omit the colour pages. It's especially bad for purchasing things online (I don't like buying things tottaly blind), at least in a store I can check; but I still need to browse it before the first print of the first volume sells out.
halo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
twinklestarex wrote:
AFAIK the only Animax english dubs that was released outside Asia are Monkey Typhoon and Nodame Cantabile.

I don't think the Nodame dub was aired. From what I can gather from the Animax websites and from the TV trailers on the R3 DVD it only aired subtitled. I'm 99% sure the dub was produced in North America too.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
First, a quick note on:
Quote:
Be sure to check it out, if you like podcasts and you like anime, because it is definitely a podcast about anime.

More a podcast on ANN's staff views on movies, but to be fair, when Answerman woke from his frequent naps, it tended to be more about anime.

On the question of the week, 11eyes. One of my sources when I started out watching anime was the series from a Top Ten Science Fiction Anime list. Another, for a different line of anime, were Erica Friedman's reviews on Okazu. By luck, I got pointed to stuff I liked.

And since I only started watching anime regularly a couple of years ago, there's a massive catalog of stuff to work through, and I developed a radar for the kinds of things I probably did not want to bother with.

But streaming simulcasts is different. You start them before they have had a chance to prove out good or bad. I had a look at 11eyes, saw the "flip back and forth between HS reality and alternate reality" genre with the monsters in the alternate reality, and decided to give it a try. I had not watched enough garbage to realize that the character designs with the mutant high school girls with the eyes so large that there was no room for neocortex in their enormous skulls were a give-away that there was no character to develop nor actual plotline to arc.

I hung on to the end to see where the miserable excuse for a plot would end up, and it of course ended up with a complete handwave and a pile of platitudes. And enough angst to fuel an entire high school.

11eyes was my training in the art of abandoning a simulcast if it starts mediocre and goes downhill from there.

Of course, most interesting of all is Annf and Crystal in this weeks forum:
Annf wrote:
Crystal wrote:
Shouldn't TRANSLATIONS be circulating instead of scans?

I remember that, 15 years ago, when I was in college, seeing people downloading text files and reading them alongside the Japanese manga.

If things had stayed like that, or at the very least, if a culture had developed where it was considered standard procedure to buy the books you're reading scanlations of, it'd be a different world today.

I'm fascinated by the huge culture difference between import gamers and anime/manga fans on this topic. While there's certainly plenty of game piracy, it's nevertheless considered the right/normal thing to do to buy Japanese console games if you want to play them. Piracy isn't considered standard procedure the way it is amongst the anime/manga fan culture.

There's a bit of a functional difference. Having crib notes to a Japanese game that let you know what different phrases mean in terms of game play and how you should react increases the difficulty of mastering the game, but in some ways that increases the satisfaction of mastering it.

OTOH, referring back and forth between panels and a page of text is a massive drop in immediacy for a manga compared to reading the text in context.

Commercializing online viewing is a similar problem to commercializing online streaming, but worse. Its a market with even lower ad revenue per view, but OTOH lower streaming cost. And while the cost of streaming video is high enough that the leech streaming sites all leech their streams from places like Veoh and MySpace ... (hence the name) ... and that makes the leech streaming sites vulnerable to a more sophisticated attack than the rights owners have been using to date ... the cost of serving manga scans is much lower, so its possible for a bootleg scanlation sites to pop up like dandelions that directly serves the scanlations.

And when you are making pennies or fractions of pennies in revenue per view rather than dollars, you need quite a lot more views to cover localization cost.

It may be that Japanese manga publishers have to set up their own ex-Japan viewing site, with clear text boxes and panels, and have viewers that allow the user to either use a formatted text file or a "black and clear" image overlay.

But that is a scary leap over a canyon, since many would fear that availability in that format would kill their chances of an international license. Whether or not that fear is justified, it would be quite real.

But if they could jump over that hurdle, they'd have similar time to market advantages to premium legit streams. The don't have to scan the artwork, they have the original. They don't have to blank existing text - they can simply use the unlettered artwork.

They just need a new domain name and an English language front page, and region specific ad accounts (mostly with youth oriented international companies). Sites would pop up with translated text files in the correct format, linking back to the manga publisher's pages. And of course, if the translated text site as a service to its readers happens to link to locations to find bootleg artwork, the manga publishers can follow those links back and issue C&D letters like candy, with a random one in ten receiving an actual follow up visit from a summons server.

They would of course want to design apps to view the manga on various devices, including open search and bookmark tools to find translated text.

Long term, whether it would be good or bad for the US or European manga publishing industry is anyone's guess. Short term, they are living off of selling ink on paper, and the main impact would be in return for not having exclusive digital distribution rights to the artwork in their territory, they may be able to demand a reduction in their royalty rate.

But for presently unlicensed manga, its possible to imagine online sites willing to use higher quality translations to attract a user base paying Japanese publishers of unlicensed manga a fee for early access to scripts and artwork, non-exclusive translation rights, and translators, editors and layout staff to generate the translation files that attract the readership, and the social networking tools to generate the engagement that allows an online site to survive on the fractions of pennies generated by ad revenue.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
twinklestarex wrote:

I don't think the Nodame dub was aired. From what I can gather from the Animax websites and from the TV trailers on the R3 DVD it only aired subtitled. I'm 99% sure the dub was produced in North America too.

I see.I think the English dubbed version of Nodame Cantabile on Animax Asia was really dubbed in the U.S. Wink

Yeah most of them are cheaply done cause Animax is allotting really small budgets for every dub projects they're giving for the dubbing companies they're using(no wonder most of the dubbers there resort from multiple voice roles for every project) and there's a lack of talented voice actors to begin with especially in Hong Kong. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5