• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Recycled Air

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Awww man. That stinks. I hope things work out for her.

I wonder, will the images depicting, buy, rent, or toss out, going to change to something else? It is cool looking, retro and all, but I wonder if there will be a rotation of different buy, rent, toss out images.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:01 am Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
Wow.

I just can't figure out why Hagaren is praised so much. I don't see what makes it stand out so much. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Harry Potter and... well, mostly just Harry Potter. To say that it's the best show that will come out in the next 5 years seems ridiculous to me (aside from the fact that it's impossible to know something like that unless you have a time machine), especially coming from someone who reviews almost every series that's out there. And yet I hear it from Zac and Chris Beverege as well, two other critics who've pretty much seen it all. I've also been told that it gets better later on, and while it's shown some signs of improvement in the past two episodes on Adult Swim (14 and 15) have been a huge step up in quality, almost all of the 13 before them were unfunny or uninspiring during their lighthearted moments, unexciting during their action moments, and starring one of the most irritating, bigheaded characters in the history of irritating, bigheaded child characters, Ed Elric.

The premise of "alchemy misused," as we saw with Ed and Al trying to revive their mother, is very interesting. The backstory regarding the State Alchemists and Ishbalians is also interesting and entertaining. Scar and Mustang are excellent characters. But most of the series so far has strayed away from that, towards pointless side adventures and quests that are not the least bit thought-provoking or even exciting. Maybe it'll focus more later on, but these initial 15 episodes, aside from the last two, have been a huge letdown. It is not terrible by any means, but I was really expecting a lot more. Hagaren is far from being a standout show. If there was real character development going on here during these dull moments (more like dull years), it would be a different story, but Ed does not seem to be maturing at all. He is still whiny, still annoying, and still a self-righteous brat who thinks he's some kind of genius or revolutionary.

With just one review, I would chalk it up as being just a difference in tastes, but the response to Hagaren has been nothing short of explosively phenomenal, with many experienced anime critics hailing it as one of the greatest series of all time. But if you ask me, it's well-animated fluff with its priorities out of place.

because it hasn't even started yet.

this whole show is one plot twist after another. i always avoided this show because i thought it was just selling off the whole stupid alchemy twist, but it really is quite good. all i gotta say is you've only seen up to where adult swim has it... you know nothing yet.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:33 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Unfortunately Liann is has some personal issue to deal with and it may be quite a while before her column returns.

In the meantime, in oder to get manga content back on ANN, I'm hiring a new manga reviewer (see the Staff Openings page).

-t

Though I would die to take up on the offer (a great excuse to buy loads of manga =P), work (SAT season) screws me over. =/
------------------

Ok. I know someone is gonna kill me for asking this, but I just need to kinda know....

Do they have the original OP and ED on the FMA DVD?

Would you say that the New Fist of the North Star is worth a purchase... just for the hilarity of it? (the original never ceased to humor me, with the routine shirt ripping, Xena screaming, and then the exploding head/bent spine after 10 seconds)

I'm glad of the return of Shelf Life though. =D
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Ok. I know someone is gonna kill me for asking this, but I just need to kinda know....

I promise not to kill you... I'll just maim you a little - make it seem like you were born with a club foot maybe? Twisted Evil

The original OP and ED's are on there, in their unedited and complete (as far as the show goes) glory.

Yes, it is a must buy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

because it hasn't even started yet.

this whole show is one plot twist after another. i always avoided this show because i thought it was just selling off the whole stupid alchemy twist, but it really is quite good. all i gotta say is you've only seen up to where adult swim has it... you know nothing yet.

While I really don't agree with Vekou, I'll say in his defence that if he has watched what would be 13 or so weeks of FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST (hint hint) and hasn't enjoyed it so far, I doubt he is going to enjoy the rest of it nor is he under any pressure to continue watching, because if you haven't gotten into a series a fourth of the way through, it's doubtful you're going to get through the rest of it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Vekou wrote:
Wow.

I just can't figure out why Hagaren is praised so much. I don't see what makes it stand out so much. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Harry Potter and... well, mostly just Harry Potter. To say that it's the best show that will come out in the next 5 years seems ridiculous to me (aside from the fact that it's impossible to know something like that unless you have a time machine), especially coming from someone who reviews almost every series that's out there. And yet I hear it from Zac and Chris Beverege as well, two other critics who've pretty much seen it all. I've also been told that it gets better later on, and while it's shown some signs of improvement in the past two episodes on Adult Swim (14 and 15) have been a huge step up in quality, almost all of the 13 before them were unfunny or uninspiring during their lighthearted moments, unexciting during their action moments, and starring one of the most irritating, bigheaded characters in the history of irritating, bigheaded child characters, Ed Elric.

Not everyone's going to have the same opinion about an anime title. There are those that **love** Evangelion, and those that hate it. But to be fair, there aren't really supposed to be any HAHA funny moments in FMA. The action scenes aren't even supposed to be chair-grippingly exciting. What makes the show amazing is the story, and the journey that the boys take-- not only the physical journey, but the spiritual and internal journey. There are some later parts of FMA that are just downright emotionally painful and beautiful in the way it's done, and even with the first four episodes, I think that it immediately shows that it's an intellectual anime, and not just action fluff.

Very Happy And yeah, I can't predict the next 5 years, so that was a bit of a hyperbole, but the show absolutely took my breath away.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
And yeah, I can't predict the next 5 years, so that was a bit of a hyperbole, but the show absolutely took my breath away.

I'd say "you shoulda said it was the best show in the last five years," but then a few little obstacles like Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom, and Twelve Kingdoms (shame that little gem never got finished) kinda prevent me from making that suggestion with a truly clean conscience. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

I promise not to kill you... I'll just maim you a little - make it seem like you were born with a club foot maybe? Twisted Evil

The original OP and ED's are on there, in their unedited and complete (as far as the show goes) glory.

Yes, it is a must buy. Smile

Unedited, as in unedited to the point of untranslated credits?

=P

I know. I'm not really THAT picky, but just out of curiosity. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Am I really the only person that likes Fist of The North Star?

Because, honestly, the only thing I agreed with was the cop-out ending comment.

I agree on the FMA and Get Backers reviews, as both are very good series.

Gantz sucks, plain and simple. The plot is much more stale than your review of Fist of The North Star. I watched Gantz long enough to know that it was a waste of time. Nice Fist of The North Star reference in it, though (Which means, I guess, that the only other Fist of The North Star fans are in Japan, bummer).

I havn't seen anything else on there, so I cannot comment on them.

Honestly, though, if you watch New Fist of The North Star without having seen ALL of the Fist of The North Star, you WILL be confused, it'd be nice if that note could be added, so as not to fully persuade everyone NOT to see it.

Please? Very Happy

I want more people to be fans of it. It kinda stinks going to a Con and having people ask "So, whats your favorite series?", and replying "Fist of The North Star". Then getting an odd look, and the question "Whats that?".
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Unedited, as in unedited to the point of untranslated credits?

=P

I know. I'm not really THAT picky, but just out of curiosity. =P

FUNImation puts the original Japanese credit sequences on the "alternate angle" feature for everything I've gotten from them.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Am I really the only person that likes Fist of The North Star?

Haha, I know a few people who like it too. It's just... not my thing, I guess. It's hard for me to take fist-pumping shows like that very seriously, but really, that's more of a matter of personal preference than anything else.

Quote:

Gantz sucks, plain and simple. The plot is much more stale than your review of Fist of The North Star. I watched Gantz long enough to know that it was a waste of time.

I've only seen the first two episodes of Gantz, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the later parts of the series. I thought the episodes that I saw were really cool though. I've heard that the ending is disappointing, but I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Quote:

Honestly, though, if you watch New Fist of The North Star without having seen ALL of the Fist of The North Star, you WILL be confused, it'd be nice if that note could be added, so as not to fully persuade everyone NOT to see it.

Please? Very Happy

Hmm..... Okay, just for you. Thanks for your comments!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Laughing You picked a good example of a syn. for Mezzo. Escaflowné. One of the best "wet paper" endings I've yet to see. But that is just the way some animes end. Especially if there is a manga still running at full throttle.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Eiken - Recycled Silicone. Twisted Evil
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
About a month ago, there was a thread in the General Anime forum in which the author asked what is the main thing we look for in an anime series. My answer to this thread was that I look for character connections - how the characters interact with each other, how they interact with the viewer, and most importantly, how the viewer interact with the characters. The strong bond that the Elric brothers have with each other greatly attracted me to this series, and I believe that this bond is the greatest strength of Fullmetal Alchemist. This is best displayed in Episode 3 - "Mother" - when we discovered the tragic circumstances that befell the Elric brothers.

A word keeps popping into my head every time I watch FMA, and that word is "dynasty". A dynasty is a group or family that maintains its position for a long time. In today's world, we equate dynasties to great sports teams like the Packers of the 1960's, the Steelers of the 70's, the great Yankee teams of the 20's and 50's, the 49ers of the 80's, and the Patriots of today. Dynasties also exist in the anime world - the Gundam family, the films of Miyazaki, and Neon Genesis Evangelion to name a few. They continue to maintain their positions as some of the most masterful and popular franchises in the anime universe.

It's too early to tell when or if FMA will reach the status of a dynasty. It's already a strong franchise in Japan, and I feel that it has the potential to be immensely successful in North America. I disagree with the comment made earlier that FMA is a total letdown; rather, I agree with Bamboo's comments about the spiritual and intellectual direction that this series is heading. This is what I love about FMA, and it is this lasting impression that makes this series a potential dynasty.

Bamboo, I understand the direction you took in your statement about Fullmetal Alchemist, saying "it’s the best series that will be released in the next five years." How often do we get to experience a series that has the making of being one of anime's great dynasties?

(FYI - I fixed the Subject heading. Wink )
aceface

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I would say to Vekou: stick with the series. I would agree that the first 13 or so episodes are hit or miss, but it starts getting really good from right around where it is now on CN, and does not let up until the end.

Another thing I think FMA does really well is to take what you thought were throwaway characters from the first 13 episodes and bring them back in really important roles right up to the end of the series. So what might seem inconsequential at the beginning actually ends up being very important by the end. There are very few characters who are on for one episode and then disappear forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3