• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Recycled Air

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Vekou wrote:
Wow.

I just can't figure out why Hagaren is praised so much. I don't see what makes it stand out so much. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Harry Potter and... well, mostly just Harry Potter. To say that it's the best show that will come out in the next 5 years seems ridiculous to me (aside from the fact that it's impossible to know something like that unless you have a time machine), especially coming from someone who reviews almost every series that's out there. And yet I hear it from Zac and Chris Beverege as well, two other critics who've pretty much seen it all. I've also been told that it gets better later on, and while it's shown some signs of improvement in the past two episodes on Adult Swim (14 and 15) have been a huge step up in quality, almost all of the 13 before them were unfunny or uninspiring during their lighthearted moments, unexciting during their action moments, and starring one of the most irritating, bigheaded characters in the history of irritating, bigheaded child characters, Ed Elric.

The premise of "alchemy misused," as we saw with Ed and Al trying to revive their mother, is very interesting. The backstory regarding the State Alchemists and Ishbalians is also interesting and entertaining. Scar and Mustang are excellent characters. But most of the series so far has strayed away from that, towards pointless side adventures and quests that are not the least bit thought-provoking or even exciting. Maybe it'll focus more later on, but these initial 15 episodes, aside from the last two, have been a huge letdown. It is not terrible by any means, but I was really expecting a lot more. Hagaren is far from being a standout show. If there was real character development going on here during these dull moments (more like dull years), it would be a different story, but Ed does not seem to be maturing at all. He is still whiny, still annoying, and still a self-righteous brat who thinks he's some kind of genius or revolutionary.

With just one review, I would chalk it up as being just a difference in tastes, but the response to Hagaren has been nothing short of explosively phenomenal, with many experienced anime critics hailing it as one of the greatest series of all time. But if you ask me, it's well-animated fluff with its priorities out of place.

because it hasn't even started yet.

this whole show is one plot twist after another. i always avoided this show because i thought it was just selling off the whole stupid alchemy twist, but it really is quite good. all i gotta say is you've only seen up to where adult swim has it... you know nothing yet.

I have to agree with Vekou on this one. So far the series has been interesting, but not particularly enthralling. And it's no good saying "it gets better later"; after thirteen episodes any series should have already hit its stride. As I said FMA is good, but some of the elements could be done better. Some of the characters are just not believable. Most of the main characters are fine, however several of these "mean" millitery leaders are just stereotypical bullies with no motivation or reason behind their actions. Another thing, what's up with the "Law of Equivalent Exchange?" Supposedly you can't get anything without giving up something of equal value, but Ed constantly conjures things out of thin air without giving up anything. Confused
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:51 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Quote:

Gantz sucks, plain and simple. The plot is much more stale than your review of Fist of The North Star. I watched Gantz long enough to know that it was a waste of time.

I've only seen the first two episodes of Gantz, so I'm afraid I can't comment on the later parts of the series. I thought the episodes that I saw were really cool though. I've heard that the ending is disappointing, but I guess I'll find out when I get there.

Yeah, the first two episodes do keep you entertained because you really wanna know whats going on.

Around episode five, I got bored with it, as nothing really new had come to light by that time.

I normally give a new show four episodes to catch my attention, if it can't, then I don't watch it. I gave Gantz six episodes, at which point I asked myself why I kept watching.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

Yeah, the first two episodes do keep you entertained because you really wanna know whats going on.

Around episode five, I got bored with it, as nothing really new had come to light by that time.

I normally give a new show four episodes to catch my attention, if it can't, then I don't watch it. I gave Gantz six episodes, at which point I asked myself why I kept watching.

You know, you pick series because they fit your taste. Don't like something, fine. But Bamboo is right as describeing the show as--
" Gantz is captivating not only as a man vs. aliens manhunt, but also as a social commentary for all that’s wrong with the world. Viewers are given an open window into each character’s mind, letting them access everyone’s thoughts except for two who are more “innocent.”"

A friend of mine who has seem more of the show described it as the bastard love child of Haibane Renmei and Saikano, so you can guess it's not a happy cheerful show or one with violence for violence sake like Fist of the North Star. IMHO it pegs large segments of Japanese (and American) society head on the same way Battle Royale does.
However, It's not something everyone wants to see. Fine, but what Bamboo does is say that is a high quality show of this type for at least these two episodes. She also gives me enough information to let me know I might like The Daichis because I 1) seem to like everything Shoji Kawamori does and 2) am a fan of redemptive storylines and Daichis seems to have that going on.
To me, that means she's earned her big bucks for this Shelf Life installment.

All the Best,

Nani?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Most of the main characters are fine, however several of these "mean" millitery leaders are just stereotypical bullies with no motivation or reason behind their actions.

You're right. In the first 13 episodes, there's no clear motivation behind their actions. Like, why are they hunting down certain groups? Why do they do certain things? All of that gets revealed at the end though, in a series of very powerful twists. However, I agree that unless you've seen the end, it's not clear how any of this is relevant. But even while I was watching it, I never really thought about "hey, why is this bad guy being bad?" Instead, what kept my attention was how the Elric brothers, and some of the military men dealt with that opposition. How no matter what kind of bureacratic force was standing in their way, they were able to keep going on blindly, because to them, obtaining their goal was worth any risk, without question. That, to me, showed the strength of the characters, which was what drew me into the series to begin with.

Quote:

Another thing, what's up with the "Law of Equivalent Exchange?" Supposedly you can't get anything without giving up something of equal value, but Ed constantly conjures things out of thin air without giving up anything. Confused

Gimme an example of when.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Nani? wrote:
violence for violence sake like Fist of the North

Fist of The North Star isn't a "violence for violence sake" show.

It's actually a love story, about how far a man will go to be with the one he loves.

Its just that he kills alot of people, to be with said person.

Wow, if nobody knows this, they're probably overlooking something they might like, since it seems everyone thinks Fist of The North Star has no plot, and thats just wrong, period.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
What kept my attention was how the Elric brothers, and some of the military men dealt with that opposition. How no matter what kind of bureacratic force was standing in their way, they were able to keep going on blindly, because to them, obtaining their goal was worth any risk, without question. That, to me, showed the strength of the characters

This point proves my earlier comment that the strong bond between the Elric brothers is the greatest strength of FMA.

Also, in the future, please do not change the subject line on an existing thread. I don't know why Vekou changed the subject line from "Shelf Life - Recycled Air" to "My two cents on Hagaren." This is the second time that I had to change the subject heading back to what it was; it starting to be Confused (confusing) to the readers. I'm pointing this out because people were discussing Gantz and Fist of the North Star with the heading "My two cents on Hagaren", which can cause utter confusion to the readers.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:23 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Also, in the future, please do not change the subject line on an existing thread. I don't know why Vekou changed the subject line from "Shelf Life - Recycled Air" to "My two cents on Hagaren." This is the second time that I had to change the subject heading back to what it was; it starting to be Confused (confusing) to the readers. I'm pointing this out because people were discussing Gantz and Fist of the North Star with the heading "My two cents on Hagaren", which can cause utter confusion to the readers.

^^;; I use flat view anyway, as do many readers, I think, so a lot of us don't even notice that the subject line's been changed. I know that I never even glance at it, and either just hit "reply" to the last post, or quote the person I'm responding to.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

Another thing, what's up with the "Law of Equivalent Exchange?" Supposedly you can't get anything without giving up something of equal value, but Ed constantly conjures things out of thin air without giving up anything. Confused

Also, thin air is kinda something to give up.

Ok. That might be kinda silly, but I think you get the gist. =P
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

Also, thin air is kinda something to give up.

Ok. That might be kinda silly, but I think you get the gist. =P

I just assumed Ed was basicly changing somethings properties it when he makes his arm into a sword. he's not really pulling it out of thin air.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
garry
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I got mad love for Ippo and all, but I have to support Bamboo's placement of Fighting Spirit v3 in the rental category. Ippo's just the kind of show where no one moment or episode gets you. It's the times when you watch him fight Ozuma, or spoiler[the Mashiba fight, where Ippo uses his shattered right hand to "avenge" Miyata,] and you realize how much he's grown. That's the appeal, and the trouble with that is the thirty episodes you have to watch to feel that way.

At the same time, I seem completely immune to FMA's charms. Anyone else just completely burned out on watching junior high school kids IN SPACE or ON MIDDLE EARTH? As I slouch into my middle twenties I have less and less in desire to buy into the fresh faced prettyboys that get shoveled into the spotlight by the different production houses. I understand the reasoning, and respect that they're playing to the market.

I'm just not in that market anymore.

This is why I'm chewing through my bottom lip waiting for Planetes to hit over here. Real grown up garbage men. IN SPACE! Yeah!
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
garry wrote:
This is why I'm chewing through my bottom lip waiting for Planetes to hit over here. Real grown up garbage men. IN SPACE! Yeah!

Space-based garbage men? Now this I got to see! Wink

Any idea when Bandai plan to release the first DVD? I'm anxious to watch the interview with the NASA scientists.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

Well, it usually seems like nothing, but I thought Ed was just using the useless stuff around him at the time. When Ed & Al were children they made Winry a doll out of what looked like a pile of dirt/sand. Ed seems to pull things from sand/dirt quite a few times. Although, I can understand that sand doesn't really seem equal to what he's making... Also, I've noticed that a lot of the time, Ed isn't really making something new, but 're-adjusting' something pre-existing, like fixing Al's cracked arm, cleaning his muddy clothes, or making that cannon out of the top of the train.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:

Well, it usually seems like nothing, but I thought Ed was just using the useless stuff around him at the time. When Ed & Al were children they made Winry a doll out of what looked like a pile of dirt/sand. Ed seems to pull things from sand/dirt quite a few times. Although, I can understand that sand doesn't really seem equal to what he's making... Also, I've noticed that a lot of the time, Ed isn't really making something new, but 're-adjusting' something pre-existing, like fixing Al's cracked arm, cleaning his muddy clothes, or making that cannon out of the top of the train.

Sand contains a lot of iron and other metals. In the first episode, when he pulls the lance out of the sand, he has enough sand that he can get a good chunk of iron. Same with the toys. (Notice that if you go to the playground with a magnet and drag it around in the sand, when you pull it out, it will be covered in iron.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3