• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: 10 out of 10

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zegron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing the same wailings of doom and gloom when they announced DBZ was being Dubbed...It ended up being a massive hit...

I'm a huge Naruto fan and I'm going to hold out to hear the dubs before passing judgement.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
Aw hell, that last guy. Whew. We need to revoke his life priveledges. Like talking for example, or breathing. I hate people with the "I'll never buy anime" mentality. Look: I download fansubs sometimes. But I am not above buying myself some legitamate anime every once in a while like this idiot seems to be. It's people like this dolt that give the Naruto fans (or anime fans in general at times) a bad name.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
angieness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
That Naruto fan makes me so sad...I'm not at all surprised though, I'm a Naruto fan and I go to a few messageboards and a lot of people are like that. Apparently only white people and asians watch anime according to this person Shocked I'm planning on buying the Naruto DVDs as they come out so that instantly shatters their no people will buy it logic
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
In every shipment of eggs there are a few that are cracked.....

This isn't a surprise, though. There are always people who resist change, no matter what you're talking about. Of course, those are the ones that die first, if you give them their way. Twisted Evil
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
In every shipment of eggs there are a few that are cracked.....

This isn't a surprise, though. There are always people who resist change, no matter what you're talking about. Of course, those are the ones that die first, if you give them their way. Twisted Evil

Well then in that case why don't we give them their way, that way we can get them out of our hair and move on. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I plan on buying the dvds of Naruto which contain my favorite episodes. I have actually grown attached to the fansubs, hehe. But I am excited about hearing which english voices they'll pick (however bad I'm expecting the dub to be)

PS: I much prefer Goku's english voice. Sean Schemmel (sp?) is awesome.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I heard that the Fox version of My Neighbor Totoro was completely abysmal, especially the video transfer and lack of the Japanese track. I have not actually seen this version (I'm waiting for Disney's DVD), but here's a review of Fox's disc from IGN. From what I read, waiting for the Disney version is a very smart idea.

zegron wrote:
I remember hearing the same wailings of doom and gloom when they announced DBZ was being Dubbed...It ended up being a massive hit...

I'm a huge Naruto fan and I'm going to hold out to hear the dubs before passing judgement.

While I think it's important to wait and see how the dub turns out before getting furious at Viz, you compare Naruto's dubbing to DBZ, stating that DBZ turned out to be a massive hit. Does anyone really want Naruto to become the next DBZ, pulling in the ADD crowd to rant and rave about the show even worse than the current so-called "Narutards" that plague certain message boards? I'd be perfectly happy if it just performed well and didn't go on to become "the biggest hit since DBZ and Pokemon" like some Americans will brand it.
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, a lot of the ADD kiddies that were inducted by DBZ are now the very same Narutards everyone hates. It might not have the same long drawn out episodes as DBZ (Anyone remember the longest 5 minutes in anime? Think Freeza and the planet Namek and took like 5 episodes), but it really is going to be Funi's next big series and will be called the next DBZ by many if for nothing else than because it's a long running fighting anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I heard that the Fox version of My Neighbor Totoro was completely abysmal, especially the video transfer and lack of the Japanese track. I have not actually seen this version (I'm waiting for Disney's DVD), but here's a review of Fox's disc from IGN. From what I read, waiting for the Disney version is a very smart idea.
Well Like I said, I have the Fox disk and it is just fine. This proves you can't always believe what you read, or hear about something without actually experiencing it. Wink

Tiresias wrote:
The thing is, a lot of the ADD kiddies that were inducted by DBZ are now the very same Narutards everyone hates. It might not have the same long drawn out episodes as DBZ (Anyone remember the longest 5 minutes in anime? Think Freeza and the planet Namek and took like 5 episodes), but it really is going to be Funi's next big series and will be called the next DBZ by many if for nothing else than because it's a long running fighting anime.
Do you realise what your saying? Why, this could be a national epidemic! FUNi could be looking at lawsuits costing millions in compensation claims for causing the mental disfunction of thousands of little children who were brainwashed by their DBZ dub! No wonder the family sold the business as fast as they did! Laughing
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
That Naruto email is possibly one of the best letters ever written to Answerman. No other screed has so succinctly described the fan reaction and mentality towards the licensing of Naruto. This writer has spoken for all Narutards.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Like Mohawk said, the video is just fine. Considering the time frame which this was originally released during, it was absolutely normal for any company to put out only full screen versions on tape or dvd. And for the price, its really cheap too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
DBZ ADD kid != narutard. There might be some overlaps, but I'm sure most narutards hate DBZ. Which is funny. Since the two shows have the same problems. I like DBZ. I like DB. I haven't seen DBGT, don't care to, but I've read the synopsis, and I don't mind it. Dragonball in my mind, the true Dragonball, will always be Akira Toriyama's 42 volume manga series. Naruto is the next generation dragonball. Whether it succeeds here or not, well, that's all up to fate.

Now. I love the Japanese voice for Goku. I'm pretty sure Japan loves it as well. Otherwise they wouldn't have minded listening to it for over a decade. So keep your opinions as that, YOUR opinions. I don't mind the english voice, the first couple atleast, but if I had to pick a voice for Goku, it'll always have to be the Japanese voice first, and then the first english Goku voice.

Well, here's to hoping I won't meet any hardcore Naruto fans in real life.....I'm going to hate the next ten years.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
Well, here's to hoping I won't meet any hardcore Naruto fans in real life.....I'm going to hate the next ten years.

Ynow.. I am a hardcore Naruto fan. But being a selfish eltitst jerk is not what defines me as a fan of Naruto. But i will never bug you or anyone with nonsense about dubbing and editing (especially about the jutsu names...SWEET JESUS NARUTARDS, GET A LIFE!!). I look forward to unedited DVDs. with hope they have cool extras and great sound/picture quality.

But these Narutards are the ones you should beware. I refer to those many who think they own Naruto, and feel no one else deserves Naruto outside the fansubbing world. They did far more to hurt Naruto than any liscensing company can do. That letter to answerman and hkrok76's comment is solid evidence of that. And they will continue to ruin the show for potentially anyone in the anime community that wishes to catch it in on Cartoon Network or legally on US retail shelves.
xiaopingguo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The last question is hilarious. Twisted Evil Tho' I have to agree the english releases cost too much. (But that question was really sad.)
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Think about it though, the English releases are far cheaper than the Japanese releases. Would you rather pay $25-30 for 3-4 episodes or $50-60 for 2 episodes? To tell you the truth, we're getting a bargain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4