• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Sola, Shigofumi, Tytania Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Weird. Is this another case where the Japanese license holders pulled Sola from Bandai, or is there something else funky going on here? As previously mentioned in the thread, Sola is still in print from the Bandai release. I can't imagine it is setting the world on fire with sales... I bought a copy, but for all I know I may be the only one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ki918

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. Didn't Bandai Ent. have the licenses for Sola and Shigofumi? Did they expire or what?
Ki918

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
Weird. Is this another case where the Japanese license holders pulled Sola from Bandai, or is there something else funky going on here? As previously mentioned in the thread, Sola is still in print from the Bandai release. I can't imagine it is setting the world on fire with sales... I bought a copy, but for all I know I may be the only one...

Well, that makes two of us.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
i like sola shigo and tytania..but those prices are INSANE for 12/13 episodes. they're fooling themselves into thinking this is a good idea. I dont know anyone that would pay that much for 12 episodes. thats like 4 dollars an episode, and people complain about psn selling episodes for 1.99 a piece
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I may end up pre-ordering Shigofumi. I just watched the first 2 episodes, and if the series continues like that, I think I will end up enjoying it a lot.

I see Funimation goods are on sale now, and I was ready to blindly pre-order the Casshern Sins Blu Ray sets. But after watching 1 1/2 episodes, I was less than enthused. It sounds very much like a show I would love so I am not sure what went wrong there, haha.

Just going to try to wait for a Sentai sale at RightStuf before I pre-order. Also trying to decide whether to throw down on Ghost Hound now or wait until the dub gets released so that it may be a little cheaper. I am guessing it will probably be released as a complete collection like season 1 of Clannad's dub release will be and for about $80 MSRP instead of $120.

Last edited by ZenErik on Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Sola but now it has sparked my interest. I will probably end up getting the Bandai release instead since it's cheaper if I decided to purchase it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
wait did I just read Shigofumi Shocked *sniff* I'm so happy since IMO this anime is a gem and I would gladly pay $50 for all 12 episodes its 100X better than Bandai Visual's $49.99 for the first 2 episodes and a small booklet. As for Sola people said it was good so I'll buy that one too.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Interesting news. I've heard of 'Sola', never heard of 'Shigofumi'. The premise almost reminds me of 'Ballad no Shimigami'. I might need to check this out. I did enjoy 'Shimigami', so I wouldn't mind checking this out seeing as it got good viewer ratings.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Shigofumi! I love you, Section23!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
sola... what a long, painful path we have traveled together. From Bandai Visual USA, to Bandai USA, where from initial announcement to actual release date consisted of multiple, tearful delays. And when it did finally come out the subtitles on it were just... yucky.

And now we come to Section 23 getting the license. I really, really like sola and I'll probably double dip to get the better quality subtitles.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Is the Princess Resurrection a typo? I thought it was always Sentai. Is there an adv dub from some time ago?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The prices may seem a little high, but I'm not sure I'd classify them as, "insane." Shigofumi will be less than three dollars per episode on Right Stuf (assuming the DVD-only episode is included), which doesn't seem unreasonable for the first run of a niche series, at least to me.

I am a bit surprised by the re-release of Sola, though.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Don't know why people are criticizing the price when FUNimation has their $60 sets. I suppose because these are sub-only...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Bingo!

You got it -- it's the sub-only business.

As for me, I like the 2 disc for $30 business as opposed to 1 disc for $25 or a collection with dual tracks crammed into a DVD set with questionable authoring.... (Looking at you, Funimation.)

I've pretty much written off Blu ray for anime in the States unless it's a feature film and something done by a company other than Funimation.

Of course, the Bandai debacle with Kuromaki was kind of disheartening.

Sad to see that BD anime is basically being bungled in both the US and Japan for anime...

Looks like it's going to take longer to get honest-to-goodness truth in advertising and fewer upconverts than what we're seeing on BOTH sides of the Pacific now...!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I was quite surprised to see Sola solicited by Sentai. However, I should point out, since it has been released once already, there is a good chance the subs will be exactly the same as the Bandai release. We can hope Sentai reworks them, but for a re-release, it's a bit of a long shot. I never did get around to buying Sola, so I guess I have reason to pick it up now. Though I wonder why Bandai doesn't have it anymore....

I've been wanting to see Shigofumi for a long time, so that's another definite buy, as is the second set of La Corda Dora. I already have the first two sets of Princess Resurrection, so I won't be picking the complete set up. I guess that kills any hope of a dub on it. Sad

And for the complaints on pricing, it's pretty much the standard rate for 12-13 episodes sets. I'd hate to break it to you, they are not going to get much cheaper. Companies tried them; it didn't work out. Never forget, they will likely be much cheaper at Right Stuf, Deep Discount, Anime Corner, and even Amazon.

Also, Princess Resurrection was always a Sentai title. It was previously distributed by ADV. The only thing that has changed is that Section 23 is distributing now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5