• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Old's Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Awesome article! ANN just got much more educational, and I like it!

Some questions:
1. Was "Sally the Witch" based on a Western source material? IIRC, Casper the Friendly Ghost had a friend named Sally the Witch, but I might be getting my timelines and characters confused.

2. Dororo was the last B&W TV anime? I really want to see that (thank Vertical for releasing the manga in English in its entirety)! I'm curious as to how many episodes it had and if it was the first case of an anime-only ending, as the manga is considered never to have ended properly.

Gotta apologize for my ignorance here. I've only been an otaku since about 2005, and I kind of consider Ranma 1/2 oldschool Razz
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:

That was until a few years back transmitted on local TV in its Spanish
Dub, "Capitan Centella".

Correct, that's where I first found out about it. The last time I saw the show was at some point during the 1990s but I'm sure it must have been on TV longer than that. They even left in the Japanese theme song, curiously enough, and for a series that was largely bloodless there sure was a lot of violence and death involved.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I thank you Mr. Toole, for an enlightening essay. I was wondering about this very subject just last week, and it filled the void in my knowledge of what was between Astro Boy, Speed Racer, and Star Blazers, and the internet wasn't much help to me. Timing is everything. I shall be looking forward to reading more of you next essays. Wink
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
An interesting new column by a very entertaining man. I don't know if I'll ever see these shows that Mike Toole loves so much, but I'll be sure to keep reading this!
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Awesome article! ANN just got much more educational, and I like it!

Some questions:
1. Was "Sally the Witch" based on a Western source material? IIRC, Casper the Friendly Ghost had a friend named Sally the Witch, but I might be getting my timelines and characters confused.

Sally the Witch is based on Mitsuteru Yokoyama's manga, inspired by Bewitched live-action series. Casper's witch friend is completely different character;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_the_Good_Little_Witch
http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/lineup/tv/sally/
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
First Erin Finnegan, then Jason Thompson, and now Mike Toole! Team Otaku USA is TAKING OVER THIS PLACE.

The logo for the column is an excellent effort. No doubt it was made by someone with graphic design talent and a knack for Photoshop. I possess neither of these traits, but I still think this is a more apropos image for capturing the true spirit of what I classify in my mind as The Mike Toole Show:

Please save this image and re-post it in all Mike Toole-related discussions from this point forward.

Note: for a second, I thought to myself "you know, I could just fix the red eyes if I'm already adding this text bubble." Then my brain instantly replied back "NO THE EYES STAY, YOU GO!"

The picture alone gets a 10 out of 10! LOL!

Great column, Mike! While I'd know about Astro Boy, I was in the dark about everything between then and what hit the US in the 70's and 80's. Well done.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be a fun time.

Makes me kind of glad that my friend Mike and I convinced the bulk of our friends to sit through the original Cutie Honey during Shinbokucon this year. They loved every second (and now "CrapBoobsCrap" is our signature line for whenever things truly go pear-shaped).
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
All this anime was WELL before my time (born in the 1970s) and most of it never got rerun after the original airing in the 1960s.

Ya know -- it's that whole anti-black and white bias TV networks have!

(Stupidity in my opinion. Some of the best TV shows and movies are B & W -- including the best Popeye cartoons!)

Anyhow, I never got to see Astro Boy until Anime Expo in 1994 and was that a revelation!

The Astro Boy anime/manga are easily among the weirdest Japanese series I've seen! Weirder than the Speed Racer dub...!

However, I find the Astro Boy character charming and easy to handle. It's one of the few socially-redeeming childrens' characters that doesn't want to make me vomit... I guess it's because Tezuka had a bit of Dr. Seuss in him! LOL

I only own the second Astro Boy series (the first color series, 1980) and would dearly like to get the US release with the wacky dub but have been disappointed by both the price and sound quality of the series. (I'm preferring to get the Deluxe Sets, not the crappy sets released for Best Buy.) It's just too expensive for my budget now and while I understand the sound is as good as it'll ever get (blast the stupidity of throwing away the original American dub tracks!!!) that's another reason for a delay in getting it.

I hope the Kimba dub release is a bit better. Chances are that with that being full-color it was actually cared for much better!

It's too bad to see Astro has suffered a bit of the fate of many over-40 animated characters. Still fondly loved but nowhere near as popular as anything less than 20-years-old...
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh old? Never! Bebop and DBZ are old-school, definitely, but Azumanga Daioh?
I really liked the column. What do you think about doing something on Gundam? Including all of the manga, there are over 100 different series I found in the encyclopedia, and I could only find 1 article about a single series on Buried Treasure.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole is probably my most favorite anime personality ever, and as long as columns are as informative and fun as this one, I think everybody is in for one heck of a ride. Hopefully the next column will be just as good.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Vicserr wrote:

That was until a few years back transmitted on local TV in its Spanish
Dub, "Capitan Centella".

Correct, that's where I first found out about it. The last time I saw the show was at some point during the 1990s but I'm sure it must have been on TV longer than that. They even left in the Japanese theme song, curiously enough, and for a series that was largely bloodless there sure was a lot of violence and death involved.

Even as bloodless as it is it would never pass thru a network censor in the US, Latin America and Puerto Rico up until the 90's were less stringent about the content of children programming than the US (Damn you FCC!).

And keeping the japanese OP depended on the dub producers, some just left it as is (like Capitan Centella), some used an intrumental version (Mazinger Z) and other recorded a spanish language song (Zenki, el Festival de los Robots -Jeeg, Gaiking, Gakeen, Starzingers)

Last edited by Vicserr on Sun May 23, 2010 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I knew that Mike Toole was my next candidate for BFF after hearing his thoughts on Dunbine, and I think I'm really going to like this column. I'm looking forward to all the stuff hinted to come!

I'm a big fan of the Imagawa Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28, so seeing the originals mentioned makes me gleeful.

(Funny throwaway tangent: I've heard people call Haruhi Suzumiya "old", in the context of "lately they've been going back and remaking/sequeling all the old classics of anime's golden age!" Which made my face fall off in disbelief.)
TAS314

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
"free to watch in North America on Hulu."

No, Hulu is only available in the United States, it is blocked in Canada. Last time I checked Canada is a large chunk of North America. Same for Viz as their streaming site is just a skin over a Hulu back end.

Of course to a lot of people in the US, Canada is just that blank area on the weather map where all the snow comes from.

Other then that an interesting article. A few shows I've seen but some of the titles new to me. I'll have to do a little digging to see if I can find anything interesting.
albanian

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, if birth date is a definition of 'old school', then anime is just some johnny-come-lately fad. I manage to pre-date everything except those 'pre-war animation' and 'a few propaganda films'. I mean, I was already 14 years old before Tetsuwan Atom struggled into life, let alone appeared on UK TV.

I had thought that early retirement (ten years ago due to disability) would leave me plenty of time for enjoyment of, and pleasurable research into, my anime hobby. (I have a collection of some 250 anime series/Japanese live-action films, as well as plenty of manga and a substantial library of academic works/reference books about Japanese life and culture - and that's quite apart from my 'western' DVDs and my 'professional' library.)

And yet it feels as if I have learned more in ten minutes reading this short essay than I've mustered in the last ten years! I stand in awe.

Congratulations on a brilliant addition to the ANN roster, and I look forward to a long and fruitful engagement. Go to it, Mike.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Tetsuwan Atom was the first anime TV show with an ongoing story (first anime TV show was Manga Calendar).
there was also the animated miniseries Three Tales which aired in 1960.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5