• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Old's Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Mike! I learned so much about 1960's anime from reading this column. I'm looking forward to reading more of your ANN columns in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
That was a very interesting and educational article. I don't know if I'll ever see the anime you mentioned, but it's amazing (and dreadful) of how much anime has changed since then. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't consider anime that came out in the 90s as old school. By the way, some of the best anime came out before 2002. At least to me it did. Great article, Mike!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
One thing is for sure: If I ever found a VHS of Space Ace or any other of these really obscure titles, that would roughly rate as an 8 on Justin's ObscuroMeter.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
One thing is for sure: If I ever found a VHS of Space Ace or any other of these really obscure titles, that would roughly rate as an 8 on Justin's ObscuroMeter.

But at least you'd know what to look for- that's the best part about these articles. I remember when ANN's first posted of one of 'Mike's Dubs That Time Forgot' panels (which need to come to my side of the country!). I went to the Dollar store a few days after watching it- and found a DVD called 'Tobor and Friends'. Needless to say, I bought it immedately. Very Happy I wouldn't have known to without that video. (Now, if I can just find a copy of The Enchanted Journey...)
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm familiar with most of those 60s anime that was listed on that topic. I would like to see some of them, but the closest things I could find were the opening intros swimming on youtube.

Back ya, when it comes to anime I never judge it by it's age or animation.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Now, finding a VHS of the original Astro Boy dubbed would be very interesting.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Bothering to add my two cents to the article:

It was Nippon Animation, not TMS, that did Future Boy Conan, but I can understand the reasons given some of the staffers involved.

The usual "limited animation" seen in anime is 8 frames per second, technically 8 drawings for every second or "3's" as they would say in the animation industry. Normal domestic animation is to animate on "2's" (12 fps), with some feature-length productions taking on "1's" (24 fps).

Two cents over!

writerpatrick wrote:
It's likely that most of this stuff made it to air because broadcasters were looking for stuff to show kids. Saturday Morning, that is the TV time dedicated to children, started in the 1950s with mostly live-action shows. The cartoons came in during the 60s but there was a shortage of material so broadcasters had to look overseas. However, the NA animation studios were established well enough by the 70s so that they were no longer needed.

There were cartoons shown in the 50's, but often these tend to be anywhere from the silent era to the early sound era of the 30's as many seedy film distributors often sold whatever they could find to unsuspecting TV stations to stick on during a show hosted by a clown or a cowboy or a space cadet. My mom grew up in this era and often told me of the kind of odd things she saw.

We also had companies like Sterling and Fima Noveck/Flamingo that often acquired a number of foreign animated productions, especially out of Eastern Europe, and passed them off as "new cartoons" that often relied less of accurate translations since they simply made up the narration as it went along. It wasn't long until some major studios ended up selling off their back library of cartoons to these small-time companies that later provided stations with such gems as Porky Pig, Betty Boop and others, though the original names like Warner Bros. and Paramount would be removed from all titles through contract stipulations. These Hollywood studios would never see their films again until decades later through mergers and other re-acquistionings.

If anything, the sudden appearance of Astro Boy, Gigantor and Prince Planet gave something of an alternative to the recycled and exhausted repeats of those earlier cartoons as they were essentially original and new to the TV medium. The closest some Americans saw to something originally made-for-tv when it came to animation was essentially Hanna-Barbera, but also other small time offerings like Colonel Bleep, Crusader Rabbit or the crap that Sam Singer was churning out.

Quote:
In a sense, the first wave of anime failed. There's about a decade where there wasn't any new anime on NA TV. But then Star Wars came along and created a demand for sci-fi. Since NA cartoonists weren't making any of it, the broadcasters turned to anime and shows like Star Blazers (deliberately renamed to cash in on the Star Wars popularity). That's really what started the current anime fandom.

In some way it did (hate to put Battle of the Planets in the same breath but that show pretty much was also part of that as well), despite the fact that there was still quite a few interesting stuff made in the pre-Star Wars anime scene as well.

Agent355 wrote:
Awesome article! ANN just got much more educational, and I like it!

That's how I want it.

Quote:
Some questions:
1. Was "Sally the Witch" based on a Western source material? IIRC, Casper the Friendly Ghost had a friend named Sally the Witch, but I might be getting my timelines and characters confused.

Someone else probably answered this already, but it's often said to be inspired by the sitcom Bewitched, which began airing sometime in Japan just before Sally the Witch was created. The opening animation though of the show may also remind you of Tom & Jerry the way it has a mouse throwing things at Sally but is then chased off by a brush that is turned into a cat.

Quote:
2. Dororo was the last B&W TV anime? I really want to see that (thank Vertical for releasing the manga in English in its entirety)! I'm curious as to how many episodes it had and if it was the first case of an anime-only ending, as the manga is considered never to have ended properly.

I read someplace it had an ending as well.

Quote:
Gotta apologize for my ignorance here. I've only been an otaku since about 2005, and I kind of consider Ranma 1/2 oldschool Razz

I grew up in the Voltron generation myself though and would consider that oldskool anyway.

TAS314 wrote:
"free to watch in North America on Hulu."

No, Hulu is only available in the United States, it is blocked in Canada. Last time I checked Canada is a large chunk of North America. Same for Viz as their streaming site is just a skin over a Hulu back end.

It's sad for you guys since they should at least make these things available for both countries anyway. Prince Planet isn't going to find any takers up north anytime soon.

Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Now, finding a VHS of the original Astro Boy dubbed would be very interesting.

I suggest finding an episode on 16mm film like I do! I've seen them pop up on eBay now and then. Lately I ended up finding some cool gems this way like a show called "Kum Kum" that Sunrise worked on years before the first Gundam showed up.

There's one old-school anime I can think of that I've only ever rediscovered after having seen some episodes back in the early 80's called "Manga Sekai Mukashi Banashi". Boy that was something, a lot of noted staffers on that one, yet it gets kinda downgraded and forgotten among a sea of budget VHS tapes and DVD's if you can find episodes in English (and somehow handled by Jim Terry's company so the acting is typical). Some episodes can be had on YouTube right now if you bother checking it out.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
One of the first anime titles I saw was Mazinger Z back in kindergarten or first grade. That is a sort of a dub that time forgot.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
One of the first anime titles I saw was Mazinger Z back in kindergarten or first grade. That is a sort of a dub that time forgot.

Would this be the dub that aired on CBN or the "Tranzor Z" version? That's a toughie!
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Tetsuwan Atom was the first anime TV show with an ongoing story (first anime TV show was Manga Calendar).

I think that calling Manga Calendar anime is a stretch, based on the bit I've seen. it's more like "still photos and pictures with occasional animation". You know, like that old Dick Tracy show from UPA!

penguintruth wrote:
It's funny you should mention Sally the Witch, because recently I've been rewatching the amazing Imagawa-directed Giant Robo OVA from the nineties (which I wouldn't consider "old school"), and of course, like many Mitsuteru Yokoyama-created characters, Sally herself is featured, as the daughter of Alberto the Impact ("Shocking Alberto" in the dub).

The name change is actually a neat shout-out to Yokoyama's original. He'd wanted to call the character Sunny, but his editors feared a lawsuit from Nissan, so the name was changed. Also, I'm cool with calling the guy Shocking Alberto; his hair is pretty shocking, if you ask me.

jsevakis wrote:
Just a quick note, Mike's Dubs that Time Forgot video will be posted tomorrow. Having some last-minute audio issues. (Isn't that always the way?)

HURRY UP JUSTIN

MadRat wrote:
I hate to do this but I want to point out a long standing anime that got missed in the article. Gegege no Kitaro

Kitaro's getting his own column down the line. There are a few other shows I skipped talking about in detail, either for brevity, because I simply hadn't seen a single second of footage, or because they're going to be discussed in much more detail in a column I've already got planned. It's up to you all to guess which ones are which.

errinundra wrote:
Japanese television programs were quite popular in Australia in those days

I've talked to some Aussie fans who grew up in the late 60s and early 70s, and they've told me similar stories. Would love, love, LOVE to find some portion of the old Space Ace and Ogon Bat (Phantoma) dubs. Footage of Ken the Wolf Boy has survived (famously dubbed by Daws Butler and Don Messick, but only aired in Australia) but not the former two, for some reason. They've gotta be out there somewhere!

writerpatrick wrote:
In a sense, the first wave of anime failed.

Nah, it's just been cyclical in the US. The 60s was the first wave, the late 70s saw the 2nd wave with Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers. The 80s brought us Robotech and Voltron, the 90s had Sailor Moon and Dragonball and Pokemon. The emergence of the internet and the persistence of media (both online and off) has seen anime carve a longer-term niche since then, but relatively speaking, we're in a valley. Anime will produce another breakout hit that will fuel some new growth, it's just a question of when.

Dudley wrote:
And, OMG, I never thought I'd see "Sennin Buraku" mentioned *anywhere* in the western internet! It seems to be one of the rarest shows in the history of anime.

I've seen two episodes and think it's kind of quaint, but still pretty damn funny. It's like a bawdier anime version of the Flintstones.

sirkoala13 wrote:
What do you think about doing something on Gundam?

It's coming. Will probably coincide with the release of the 2nd Gundam UC OVA in the fall.

DuelLadyS wrote:
I remember when ANN's first posted of one of 'Mike's Dubs That Time Forgot' panels (which need to come to my side of the country!).

That's easy, just convince your local con to fly me out there. Because we all know that cons are rich and love giving schlubs like me free trips!

Thanks for all of the comments, gang. I've already got nearly 30 subjects lined up for future columns (and several either complete or nearly-complete); the only thing keeping this biweekly is my day job (I keep very busy) and the need for research. Also, watching cartoons. ALWAYS with the watching cartoons!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder Mike O'Toole got hold of Animage Original. It has regular column by director Gisaburo Sugii where he visits old Tezuka Pro artists with photos and first Astro boy production images. Sugii himself was Tezuak Pro animator back then, so it's nice to have someone who can remember good' ol' days. What I like about Mike's article is that it's concise. I wouldn't want to bore readers with over-informative facts.

For me, oldest Japanese animation I watched as a kid were 70's robot anime and Tatsunoko anime. I recently watched first Astroboy through Netflix.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
TAS314 wrote:
"free to watch in North America on Hulu."

No, Hulu is only available in the United States, it is blocked in Canada. Last time I checked Canada is a large chunk of North America. Same for Viz as their streaming site is just a skin over a Hulu back end.

It's sad for you guys since they should at least make these things available for both countries anyway. Prince Planet isn't going to find any takers up north anytime soon.

Quite. It should be released on an official ad-stream channel at YouTube, which does not have the US-only restrictions that Hulu is built upon (or Crunchyroll, though Crunchyroll is not likely to run a petition drive for it like the current petition drive to get Bleach simulcasts).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Amazing article! I'm very fascinated by really old anime. It never ceases to intrigue me. Cyborg 009 is probably the one out of those that I am most familiar with. I've seen a few 1960s 009 episodes with English subs. Though my favorite 009 series is probably the 1970s one. I really hope Mike Toole does an article on 1970s anime because I don't know much about them, but I really really want to! The history of anime really is a fascinating subject!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Copyrighted Name wrote:
I seriously wonder if I'm the only person who recognizes the name of every show Mike mentions in the article. Good stuff. Smile
Nope, we old people are all tuned in here. Though I'd like to see most of what Mike knows and is about, in it's original language.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Tetsuwan Atom was the first anime TV show with an ongoing story (first anime TV show was Manga Calendar).
there was also the animated miniseries Three Tales which aired in 1960.

See The Chronological List of Television Anime Series in Japan from 1962 to 2002, though it does not have Three Tales.

Quoting from the article:

Quote:
Tezuka's own Mushi Pro didn't survive the 70s thanks to mismanagement

Actually, it did, but it was bankrupt, and in litigation until 1997—see its site for timelines of its works by medium, and Fred Patten's Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews pages 147–8, 170, 199, 231, and 320 (I recommend this book highly).

Quote:
Even Astro Boy, the original and (to many) the best, is not available in its entirety in English, because several episodes are just missing. Why, you ask? Nobody wanted to pay to ship or store the original film reels.

For more on this, see "U.S. Anime Before ‘63? There Was No Such Thing." and Astro Boy and Anime Come to the Americas: An Insider's View of the Birth of a Pop Culture Phenomenon page 129, both by Fred Ladd (Animation World Magazine Volume 1, No. 5 is a gift that just keeps on giving to me).

Errinundra's mention of Australia reminded me of the site Glen Johnson's 60's Anime (since Mr. Johnson seems to be Australian).

(Hi, Mike! Yes, I did enjoy the article—really.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5