• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Apples and Oranges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I've watched plenty of shows starring little girls that I wouldn't consider lolicon.

My statement was made based on the observations I've seen where people are tossing out the term "lolicon" in a generic manner, which is expected in time as the definition becomes lost. We've seen this with "moe" and "tsundere" as well.

I first saw the word "lolicon" in 2007 from a blog post writing about a series I can't remember. I dismissed it given I didn't know what it meant. Then, it started showing up more often, forcing me to read up on what the hell it meant.

I wasn't surprised in the least bit, but quickly saw the definition was inappropriately applied. Chuck this one up to throwing another word in the anime lexicon used by fans.

What's really baffling is the derivation didn't stem from Humbert Humbert, but Delores herself. What the hell. I would completely understand the definition if the book itself featured only Delores being sexualized to the reader, but this isn't the case here. There are two parties, not just the reader.

However, we've now come to a point that lolicon must include the viewer for the label to be present. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do is think about what people do in dark rooms while watching cartoons.

I understand there's a dilution of the term "lolita" which stemmed from the book, but the definition was more on par with "jailbait" than "sex offender".

Call me cynical on this, but if anime fans wish to continue bastardizing terms to make themselves appear cool, that's their business. It's hard for me to take their opinions seriously when they're applying a mainstream approach rather than a personal one.

I'm not surprised many find the lolita term offensive in regard to GG. The series was out long before the word was even used in mainstream, so it's unlikely this series pandered to those who sit in dark rooms.

So I hope you understand my words were stated out of concern. It's really disheartening to read this line:
Erin wrote:
The seven years between now and 2003 have really made me jaded towards lolicon.

For me, seeing the word lolicon applied to GG is inaccurate and can only be done by those who are jaded. It may not be fair, but sadly, that's just what happens when definitions get diluted over time.

It's equivalent to reading Triela called a tsundere simply because she has an attitude and wears pigtails.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Uh...Erin. :/ I meant my initial question as in....my initial question. As in, the very first question...in the very first post of this thread. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Oh!!
John Casey wrote:
Quick question - Is there a limit as to how many photos we can send for Shelf Obsessed?

I don't edit the photos. Bamboo still does that. In fact, she still answers that email address at the bottom of the page. I bet you could email that address and ask.

vashfanatic wrote:
That said... *sigh* I've been coming up empty on your reviews lately, either nothing seems to be really intriguing me or I'm already watching it streamed. What've you got on your plate for the future?

More DBZ, Dragonball, One Piece, Vandread, and that Tsubasa/xxxHolic movie duo.

Fallen Wings wrote:
Look. All these talks about the ethics of children soldiers ... Go. Watch. Now and then, here and there.
[snip]
(Please. Just go watch it Erin Finnegan or anyone else.)

I've seen bits of it, at conventions back in 2002. That show was freaking intense. It wasn't really how I'd want to spend a Saturday...
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
I know how to read and pointing out it was from opinions was already set and clear before you did. As for the review, I'm someone who has been a writer for years now, and I can do that if you're so incline to ask. Razz

The anime itself, Gunslinger, is rather blunt and plunges directly into the controversial problem of the government using children as weapons of war who have been turned into mindless assassin dolls because of brainwashing, "brothers" influence and a rigid control system over their freedom and behaviors. It's not a series to watch if you dislike seeing a child in the worst condition and can't get the point it's part of the story. Because it will disturb the viewer at some point you got to keep an open mind. Some stuff is pretty rough and it's fine how it is shown to me who started watching with an open mindset but I guess it's just not everybody. :p

By the end of season 2 I knew a lot about the girls and their past. A few of them created a bond sister-like so that they could live on when it got too rough. The government control aspect over the girls by "brothers" is very present in the series, something that can't be sent away with so many girls part of a psychological experiment.

The mystery surrounding the their training and lives was really interesting but sometimes shocking. It felt like old war times when they could do whatever they wanted to them and those girls were stripped of any human rights. It had a feeling of Gestapo's methods, and very abusive emotionally towards the children part of the experiment. That was one of the reason for the brainwashing, to keep them in perfect form to kill and never object to their orders.

Thank you. As someone who hasn't seen the series, I appreciate seeing differing opinions on the matter.

I couldn't quite grasp what you were complaining about beforehand in your initial post. If you're just giving a general complaint on her having a different opinion than you, well, tough luck kid people have different opinions. If you're complaining that her review was biased, well, the purpose of "Shelf Life" is for Erin to give her personal review of the series and whether or not she feels it is "shelf worthy" (therefore, it is going to be biased; therefore, it is pointless to complain that there's a bias). If she doesn't like it because she perceived lolicon from it, that's her opinion. Now, if you're complaining about her definition of "lolicon" and whether or not it fits for the series, well, then argue why you don't perceive it as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Okay, on Gunslinger Girl, from someone who owns the entire anime on BluRay, Japanese manga, and (so far) the first Japanese PS2 game...

- on lolicon: Gunslinger Girl is not lolicon. Lolicon implies fetish/sexualized intent. The term you may want to use here is moe. Some people may feel moe for some of the characters, meaning they think a particular character is cute.

- on the uterus removal: Yes, that is because it was damaged in regards to a certain character's history. I won't go into details because that's spoilers on her back story, but yes.

- on the below quote:

Penguin_Factory wrote:

I totally agree with the flatness of the characters, but I was also annoyed that the girls didn't really act like children, which took all the drama out of the story. Every interesting question brought up by the scenario- how do you get someone that young to kill people? What sort of effect would that have on them mentally? How would it effect the adults responsible?- was explored at an extremely superficial level or simply glossed over.

They do act like children to a certain extent. Watch the first season again, specifically the episodes that talk about Angelica's back story (the whole pasta story). But they are supposed to be cyborg assassins. They aren't really the little girls they appear to be anymore.

See, the entire reason the Social Welfare Agency uses these girls is not just because they can, because of male empowerment reasons, for lolicon reasons, or anything like that. If you saw a little girl walking down the street, would you find her suspicious? Probably not. Would you think her violin case is out of the ordinary? Absolutely not. These girls are assassins that can hide in plain sight from the very people they are going to be assassinating.

They also justify doing this by using girls that have major health issues, would be dead otherwise, or would've had severe psychological issues from something incredibly traumatic that happened to them. Is this right for the Social Welfare Agency to do this to these girls despite this? Neither the manga or the anime tell you their opinion on this, instead leaving this up to the viewer to decide. That is, I believe, the part deep down to the core of Gunslinger Girl that is supposed to be creepy. It's to make you think.

Personally, I very much enjoy this series. I don't get any moe out of it, so it's not at all that. It's entirely because I find the series incredibly interesting. It's supposed to be a drama/psychological thriller, and not at all an action oriented or loli oriented thing like probably most people expect when they go to watch or read it.
The Count

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
Months ago I decide I wouldn't post in this column anymore because every time I did I felt like it was negative. But my love for Gunslinger Girl and Erin's failing to understand the details of this series leads me here again.

Quote:
After season one, I still can't tell you much about Triela or Henreitta's personalities. Their past memories are wiped, and their current memories get re-wiped periodically, so there isn't much to go on.
spoiler[No the two girls you mentioned are conditioned the least of all the girls. Their handlers struggle morally when it comes to the conditioning process I believe because they want them to keep whatever memories and human emotions they have left.
]

Quote:
And Triela kind of likes teddy bears? Character traits like "enjoying books" are not the same as full characterization.
Really that all you got out of her? spoiler[You couldn't comment on how she portrays the "older sister" role, how she is the reliable one that others come to when in need of help. Or how her relationship and dedication to her handler in the most genuine because so has the best grasp of the situation the girls are in and wants to help her handler on a different level then say Rico does.]

spoiler[And Henrietta should offer more than "well she's cute". Yeah she's obsessed with her handler. But she also values the relationships she forms with the other girls, best shown in the last episode when she try's to help Angelica.] She's the the most emotionally demanding of the girls, first one to cry when she messes up or when Jose shows any girl/woman attention.

Quote:
I enjoy the science fiction aspect of this show. But as long as you're rebuilding little girls as super assassins, why not remove their tear ducts? The Social Welfare Agency is already removing other unnecessary parts. In one scene, Triela complains about having cramps and another girl mentions that her uterus was removed. (Skeevy!) I mean, it's implied none of them will live long enough to have children anyway, so…
That was done because of what happened to Henrietta before being conditioned, but I can't fault you for your stance on the scene. After watching this show maybe ten times that scene still creeps me out.

Not to be completely negative I got to say I like those shelves. I've been eying those Aria sets for sometime now. Music by Yuki Kajura, can't go wrong there. And the GitS SAC OST, I consider that to be the best OST in amine. Every OST 1-4 and Be human are high marks for OST's and show why I prefer anime to manga. I could go on for days about that OST but I'll end here.

Last edited by The Count on Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
-kf wrote:

So what you are saying here is that you associate loli with mens' desire to protect little girls? So to you any male with a cute little sister, or daughter, with a protective instinct towards them, is by your definition, loli?

To me, like I said, Moe is Loli without the sexual attraction. And it is mostly up to the viewers to take moe sexual or not, the defensive state does take a part in it. Loli you really have no choice.

Like I said, you can bash me but I really don't care. Thank you for your concern of my opinions ^^

Quote:
I can't let that one pass because saying I'm biased when I can analyze properly something in neutral grounds by just throwing feelings out of the window doesn't ring well in my ears. Also, I happen to have watched over 700 anime series, and so, when you are writing that I haven't seen much is false.

I'm a marathon type of viewer, so whenever I start a series I go from the start to finish in one shot for every series which include even One Piece, Bleach and Naruto or any anime 100+ episodes... yeah, One Piece was hella fun but with 428 episodes I had to watch one shot at the time it was a trip I could call one of a kind. I'm still following those anime series even now while I watch new ones weekly. I like to absorb the story elements and fuse with them as the anime gets the story together after each episode.

I'm afraid the minute you say "The characters were good" the review becomes biased, it is nearly impossible to have a neutral review.

Sorry for thinking that you haven't seen much anime. But I have always been inclined that those who like alot of series (mostly the popular ones) tend to be new into the anime scene. Myself? I tend to hate most shows so ...

erinfinnegan wrote:

Fallen Wings wrote:
Look. All these talks about the ethics of children soldiers ... Go. Watch. Now and then, here and there.
[snip]
(Please. Just go watch it Erin Finnegan or anyone else.)

I've seen bits of it, at conventions back in 2002. That show was freaking intense. It wasn't really how I'd want to spend a Saturday...

Well if you like to sit down and watch a light show of children dying I guess you would be really .. err ...

I suggest watching it when you feel like you need something deep. But watching it is well worth the time plus some more.

I hope you watch it in the future! ^^
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
Given some comments made in this thread so far, I would point out that Erin isn't the only ANN reviewer to have harsh words about Gunslinger Girls' content. My problem wasn't with any perceived lolicon content, though.

In looking back at what I said in that review, there's no question in my mind that GG would be considered a moe title had it first been released in the last couple of years. All of the girls - even Triela, really - are practically moe archetypes despite the cold-hearted violence that they are capable of inflicting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-kf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
This thread got me thinking about one of the older reviews on ANN. If Erin gets the second season of Gunslinger Girl for review, I think for shits and giggles she should say she thinks it is family-friendly. That would be a comedy talk back discussion to read.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Well, no, because Shirley Temple movies were not made for the consumption of the lolicon audience. The intended audience is always really important in my reading of a film (or TV series).

So... lolicon is anything intended for a lolicon audience??? Ow, the tautology! Anime hyper

Look, maybe we are just working with different definitions. Clearly the majority of us associated "lolicon" with sexually explicit imagery of children, intended to titillate - and we don't think that's what the first anime version of Gunslinger Girl does. The first draft of the manga? Heck yeah. But then again, doujinshi artists are known to do that just to make their product sell, as sick as it is. I think the anime should be judged separately. What's your definition, beyond the oroboros logic you just used above?

As Theron just pointed out by linking us to his review, there are problems with this series' portrayal of the girls that have nothing to do sexualization. And they are indeed pretty flat characters; maybe if they'd had fewer girls they could have devoted more time to actually giving them a full range and development.

And may I just add, this has virtually no plot. I mean, the ending is a bit of a tearjerker, but it didn't feel like a "season," with a story arc or anything. You could just as easily apply that Aristotelian model to this show. It places more focus on the accuracy of the guns and gorgeous backgrounds and music than it does on telling a full story.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Given some comments made in this thread so far, I would point out that Erin isn't the only ANN reviewer to have harsh words about Gunslinger Girls' content.

Yet you were more generous of your reviewing for a later volume. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OGT

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I'm sure Erin would probably consider some of the old Shirley Temple movies loli because Shirley flashed her panties a few times. And of course, she was cute and interacted with older men.

Graham Greene, Night and Day "The Films", Oct 28 1937, on Wee Willie Winkie:

Graham Greene wrote:
The owners of a child star are like leaseholders — their property diminishes in value every year. Time's chariot is at their backs: before them acres of anonymity. What is Jackie Coogan now but a matrimonial squabble? Miss Shirley Temple's case, though, has peculiar interest: infancy with her is a disguise, her appeal is more secret and more adult. Already two years ago she was a fancy little piece — real childhood, I think, went out after The Littlest Rebel). In Captain January she wore trousers with the mature suggestiveness of a Dietrich: her neat and well-developed rump twisted in the tap-dance: her eyes had a sidelong searching coquetry. Now in Wee Willie Winkie, wearing short kilts, she is a complete totsy. Watch her swaggering stride across the Indian barrack-square: hear the gasp of excited expectation from her antique audience when the sergeant's palm is raised: watch the way she measures a man with agile studio eyes, with dimpled depravity. Adult emotions of love and grief glissade across the mask of childhood, a childhood skin-deep.

It is clever but it cannot last. Her admirers — middle aged men and clergymen — respond to her dubious coquetry, to the sight of her well-shaped and desirable little body, packed with enormous vitality, only because the safety curtain of story and dialogue drops between their intelligence and their desire. "Why are you making my Mummy cry?" - what could be purer than that? And the scene when dressed in a white nightdress she begs grandpa to take Mummy to a dance - what could be more virginal? On those lines in her new picture, made by John Ford, who directed The Informer, is horrifyingly competent. It isn't hard to stay to the last prattle and the last sob. The story — about an Afghan robber converted by Wee Willie Winkie to the British Raj — is a long way after Kipling. But we needn't be sour about that. Both stories are awful, but on the whole Hollywood's is the better.

(For this review, the magazine Night and Day and Graham Green were prosecuted for libel, which led to him leaving Britain for Mexico and eventually writing The Power and the Glory)
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:45 am Reply with quote
And to add to that, my husband told me Shirley Temple had a horrendous problem with adult males making advances towards her (while she was still a child!) that she took to having a guard dog around her at all times.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
LOLICON
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
re: Now and Then, Here and There vs. GG. I just finished watching this and I find it highly over-rated. It did have some interesting elements (the realistic way Sara's situation was handled), but overall I found it far from a "deep" anime. Shu was a ridiculously simplistic character who never changed from start to finish. He was unfailingly "good" in every situation and had kind of a silly, "No matter how bad things get, it will all work out in the end!" attitude which felt very trite. Nabuca was a more complex and interesting character, but even his situation was handled in a very simplistic way spoiler[(i.e. I'll shoot this girl who shot my friend - zonks, I instantly understand the error of my ways!).] And Hamdo was virtually a caricature of a cliched buffoon villain which made him totally uninteresting, imo.

Gunslinger Girl covered far more interesting territory by virtue of the fact it explored the moral ambiguity of using "bad" methods to try and do "good." The scene in GG where one of the girls spoiler[kills a totally innocent boy her own age because he is an unwitting witness to something, and she clearly doesn't understand the significance of her action is still one of the most chilling scenese I've ever seen.]
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I've no interest in entering the is it / isn't it debate re. Gunslinger Girl since I've not seen either the manga or the anime.

Just thought I'd point out that Erin isn't the first reviewer to perceive a creepy subtext.

Anime Jump's review of the manga:

Chad Clayton wrote:
Artificial angst aside, something else made it even harder to enjoy this manga. The story makes a big deal out of the chemical brainwashing, and how it tends to make some of these girls absolutely adore their handlers to the point that they would kill and die for them. Much attention is given to how much power these grown men wield over these little girls. All of the little girls are as cute and girlish as china-dolls, while all of the adult women are barely distinguishable as female at first glance. In case you can't see where I'm going with this, this comic absolutely reeks of quasi-pedophilic overtones, and quite frankly I felt dirty just reading it. To its credit, Gunslinger Girl thus far makes no effort to show any kind of fanservice or nudity, but even that does little to cover up the absolutely creepy themes that are boiling beneath the surface. I can't say whether the author intended for these themes to be there or not, but they're there nonetheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10