• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Gets Global License for Pénélope tête en l'air

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Arg and I so wanted to see this show! 4Kids is going to censor it to all hell and make it dubbed only! Boycott this product! Wink
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I bet they'll be removed. But you're right, they picked an anime that no one ever talked about AND it's one for young kids. I think 4kids actually made a smart decision, for once.

I'm just worried about the other titles they're going to acquire. I'm worried for Shugo Chara! Shocked I've heard many rumors of it.
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
4Kids licensing children's anime that won't require any drastic edits?

I'm okay with this.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
What's with the "OMG 4Kids are actually licensing a Kids show for a change" stuff? When have they ever released anything that wasn't aimed at children?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
What's with the "OMG 4Kids are actually licensing a Kids show for a change" stuff? When have they ever released anything that wasn't aimed at children?

I'm assuming by "a kids show", they mean stuff for 6 year olds. The shows they have been licensing have been for 10 - 12 year olds, yet they've been trying to push it on younger kids, thus editing stuff the original target audience could've handled. I don't care about editing /that/ much, as long as you don't take out whole episodes, change whole relationships, remove whole characters, etc. Oh, and sending people to the "shadow realm" instead of dying. Death exists. Get over it.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Just because some of us got into anime through toonami and edited dubs, doesn't mean everyone else will. Toonzai might not be the next toonami. Sorry. It's great some of you are optimistic, but just because anime will be on TV does not mean it will be the most popular, most mainstream thing ever, and now anyone who's anyone loves anime. :
Anime was on TV awhile ago, but look what happened, some moved on from it, anime isn't mainstream anymore. Actually anime is still being aired on TV, and yet it still isn't mainstream. And no, I'm not gonna argue with anybody about the anime being broadcasted is Bleach and Naruto, which are the worst anime of course it won't be mainstream. Rolling Eyes Everyone should stop bellyaching about anime not being mainstream and just enjoy it.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Why the hell do we need 4Kids to do this?

Two reasons: they have the funds, and they are willing to use them.

Just because they did not treat your favorite anime like it was some holy and revered artifact doesn't mean that they are totally incompetent. Between Pokemon, Yu-gi-Oh, and TMNT, they had a pretty good run, but hit a lull at a bad time economically.

Besides, fans in the West are not in a position to be choosy right now.

They got lucky with getting Pokemon and Yughi-Oh. Honestly, Nintendo has more to do with their success than the people who run this company. They've been in the process of going out of business since they lost the Pokemon license. Honestly, I find the elitist nerd backlash against people who are anti-4Kids just as annoying as the most vehement anti-4Kids people. This company has been run like shit way before the current recession, and they didn't create all those anime fans like some people pretend was the case. Cartoon Network had more to do with starting the boom than 4Kids honestly.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I believe strongly about 4Kids going downhill after they lost Pokemon. That was one of their best anchors and now they lost their best one. Why they decided back then to step from anime licensing boggles me, as they are doing this nowadays. Seems like they realized their mistake, but can't fix it now.
Mimi The Freak

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
This could be very good-as long as they actually stick with anime originally intended for 4kids's target audience. Past adaptations=*facepalm*

Also, I'll bet that 4kids will try to get their hands on Mermaid Melody. Or Shugo Chara. A dub of SC would just be...well...let's just say they'll probably rename Amu Hinamori something like "Amy Hamilton."
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, I'll bet that 4kids will try to get their hands on Mermaid Melody. Or Shugo Chara. A dub of SC would just be...well...let's just say they'll probably rename Amu Hinamori something like "Amy Hamilton."

Actually, Mermaid Melody kind of already got licensed by ADV long ago. They just didn't make DVDs for it (don't know why). And I'm also kind of worried about Shugo Chara too. I'm hoping companies like Bandai or Viz get their hands on the anime for it.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
4Kids getting something that is properly for kids and not teens could change people's opinions about them. I wish more companies here would license more of the World Masterpiece Theater titles.

That would be an ideal solution, let alone I want the WMT well-represented than all others on the boob toob.

If there was one show I thought 4Kids would be into that wouldn't raise a stink, it could be Kaiketsu Zorori, but that was my opinion seeing the show years ago.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Sigh 4kids is still trying?

Yea . They are. But at least their licensing series that's to their fanbase and not trying to edit series that are for older audience for kids (like cough cough : shaman king and tokyo mew mew)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Antonio Bravo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
4Kids getting something that is properly for kids and not teens could change people's opinions about them. I wish more companies here would license more of the World Masterpiece Theater titles.

Maybe redub little women and Swiss family Robinson and Tom Sawyer! Well we know 4kids is bad with teenage and adult anime but kids anime will be good! How about hanamaru kindergarten also! It's not licensed so 4kids got to have it!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Antonio, please observe our policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2