• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse to Bring Ghost Talker's Daydream Manga Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sudo wrote:

That's their fault for being ignorant of what they were paying money to license. Why wouldn't you do your research ahead of time? It boggles the mind.

True. Even so, if a company knew what was to come in Narutaru, the chance of it being brought over here would probably be something similar to a snowball's chance in hell. I'm glad they brought what they did over, or I might never have discovered it.

In Dark Horse's defense there stands a possibility that when they licensed it, the "bad" stuff hadn't been published yet, and they may have only been a few volumes into the manga in Japan (I think they were up to volume 5 or 6 when it was brought over here). Outside of the whole wrist cutting thing, it took several volumes for them to get to some of the more questionable material.

There were already seven volumes out in Japan before Dark Horse released the first one in English, so I find that to be very unlikely. They release Berserk uncensored, and it's much worse than Narutaru in terms of violence. If they felt they needed to censor it, they shouldn't have licensed it in the first place. I thought they were a company that prided themselves on licensing more mature content.

I just dug up my old Super Manga Blasts, and the first issue came out February/May of 2000. At the same time in Japan only volume 4 was out. I'm skimming through all four volumes of Narutaru now, and looking at them there isn't really anything to complain about. It still looks like a relatively innocent teen manga with slightly dark tones here and there. Up to volume four the worst that was done was that one of the kids was killed, and mentioned previously, the whole thing with the wrist cutting.

Most all of Dark Horse's edits were to cut down on under-aged nudity. If you're a fan, you're aware of an incident happening in Japanese volume 6 (volume 7 here, the final to be released in America) that was a rape scene involving an under-aged girl. Volume 7 came out well over a year after Dark Horse bought the Narutaru license.

Yes, Berserk is a bloody crazy mess that involved rape in some cases, but I don't recall any of the victims in Berserk involving under-aged kids, and it's no worse than anything Heavy Metal puts out. Dark Horse, being an American comic publisher, already has standards concerning under-aged violence, and rape, especially disturbing, bloody rape with a test tube/claw/things-I-rather-not-remember, is a major NO to any comic publisher here.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Yay!

Though kinda confused about the cancellation bit. My copy has been on pre-order for 11+ months at Rightstuf. And usually when something gets canceled the order will be as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Great news! I figured it was canceled after so long. Luckily Rightstuf still has my order open. While I have the first 3 volumes already, I haven't started reading the manga, but I did really enjoy the anime. Nice to see that it is going to continue.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I remember this title. I found a copy of shonen ace in the basement of some skeevy used bookstore in Florida, in the children's section. Such a bizarre ocurrance I had to buy it. This series popped out to me immediately, first because it came with a color poster, and second because I was like wtf is going on.
I'm glad Dark Horse is continuing it, and although the one American store here doesnt carry it, I will definitely looks for it once I'm back in the states.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I just dug up my old Super Manga Blasts, and the first issue came out February/May of 2000. At the same time in Japan only volume 4 was out. I'm skimming through all four volumes of Narutaru now, and looking at them there isn't really anything to complain about. It still looks like a relatively innocent teen manga with slightly dark tones here and there. Up to volume four the worst that was done was that one of the kids was killed, and mentioned previously, the whole thing with the wrist cutting.

Most all of Dark Horse's edits were to cut down on under-aged nudity. If you're a fan, you're aware of an incident happening in Japanese volume 6 (volume 7 here, the final to be released in America) that was a rape scene involving an under-aged girl. Volume 7 came out well over a year after Dark Horse bought the Narutaru license.

Dark Horse should had waited... and waited... and waited... and waited... and waited... till they're SURE there's nothing untoward happens anywhere at all in the manga! Laughing
Sudo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Sudo wrote:

That's their fault for being ignorant of what they were paying money to license. Why wouldn't you do your research ahead of time? It boggles the mind.

True.

Actually, not true. Dark Horse published the title but they didn't license it direct from the Japanese publisher - it was "packaged" by Studio Proteus (as were most of Dark Horse's manga at that time) and, as such, it was Studio Proteus' responsibility to give Dark Horse an accurate picture of what the series consisted of and to adapt it in such a fashion as to make it palatable to the English-language market.

Sudo wrote:
Dark Hose canceling Narutaru is the reason I'll never buy anything from them again.

Uh-huh. Given that all of the major US manga publishers have edited and / or dropped titles at various times, I guess that means you don't buy any manga at all?

I can't help thinking that all of these people who pop up on ANN all the time and say they're never going to buy anything ever again from Viz / DH / CMX / whoever because a title was dropped or a nipple was airbrushed (and in spite of all of the completed and unedited titles those companies publish) are either cutting off their noses to spite their face or simply trying to justify their scanlation habits.

Sudo wrote:
There were already seven volumes out in Japan before Dark Horse released the first one in English

But given how long it takes to negotiate a license, there wouldn't have been seven volumes out when Studio Proteus set about securing the title.

If it actually was the fault of Studio Proteus for licensing it, then Dark Horse should choose their partners better. Anyway, I'm not trying to justify anything. I bought all 12 volumes of the Japanese version of Narutaru once Viz dropped it. There's also a big difference between airbrushing a nipple and cutting out many pages, followed by canceling the series entirely. Get off your high horse.
Sudo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Dark Horse should had waited... and waited... and waited... and waited... and waited... till they're SURE there's nothing untoward happens anywhere at all in the manga! Laughing

Way to be a sarcastic prick. I'm sure it was really hard for them to imagine where the series was going after the things that happened prior to that. None of the actual rape is explicitly shown, and I don't remember there being much, if any nudity up until that point. They should've just put an 18+ sticker on it and released it in a plastic bag like they did with Berserk.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
Very good news to start my day! I agree with Cosplaybunny, though, as I would also love to see Reiko the Zombie Shop come back...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Way to be a sarcastic prick. I'm sure it was really hard for them to imagine where the series was going after the things that happened prior to that. None of the actual rape is explicitly shown, and I don't remember there being much, if any nudity up until that point. They should've just put an 18+ sticker on it and released it in a plastic bag like they did with Berserk.

Heheh, it's the danger importers risk when taking a series early, especially now when fans demand something ASAP. It's one thing to age a series progressively, ala Harry Potter; it's another to go from T to MA rating in a few volumes. Younger fans would be pissed not being able to continue the series until they're old enough.

Not only fans, but even Cartoon Network confused advertisers when they once crossed the demographic line moving a series from Toonami into Adult Swim - and vowed never to repeat that mess again. More relevant, bookshops would be confused how to shelve and promote the series for unknowing customers and parents. Librarians would have to decide whether to keep the series in their YA section. So not just the consumer side but the supplier side is affected too. Some retailers may think it's not worth all the hassle, particularly with lowly sales, and won't support it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2