• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gen Fukunaga on the status of Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's a guy who hates the Dodgers criticizing their outfield game.

Which, by the way, sucks. Even when they were in Brooklyn it sucked.

But now that they are not in the Red's division, it sucks slightly less.

Signed,

A long suffering Reds fan.

Or, in other words, interviews with CEO's try to spin things positive. People reading them know that, and try to see if what is being spun is smoke and mirrors to try to cover for something else.

In this case, its silly. If Funimation was on the auction block because Navarre was in desperate shape and was trying to unload Funimation at fire sale prices, it would do so as much on the downlow as possible. Fire sales are indicators of bad things, so you try to wait until the last possible minute to make a fire sale public.

If Funimation was on the auction block because Navarre would like to self-finance rather than borrow and Funimation is outside its core business and heading further outside ... it would spread the word as widely as possible, in hopes of drumming up enough bids to get at least one serious bid and ideally two or three suiters competing for the division.

And obviously this is a time when casual end software distribution companies need to tool up for a whole new set of channels, so it makes sense that Navarre would be looking at the best way to finance substantial new investment in productive capacity.

Ignoring the words and looking only at the actions, the actions line up with selling the second car because you don't need it anymore and you think this is a good time to be selling a well maintained used vehicle ... and do not line up very well at all with selling the second car to avoid the house being foreclosed on.

Its one thing to be skeptical about what the CEO says in an interview, but its silly to just believe the opposite as a matter of general principle.

And, first and foremost, the Dodgers still suck. Infield, outfield, pitching, batting ... winning or losing, they always and every time suck.
crilix

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You're a hater who dumps on us every chance he gets. Your criticisms can't be trusted at face value.
And I'm glad my hating on your site helps to improve it! I've criticized early use of provocative language in your earlier news articles; I'm glad that's slowly changed with Egan Loo coming on board. I've criticized your Answerman column because you really started to hate on anime for no valid reason; I'm glad you handed it over to your colleague. And I'll be extremely glad if my criticism discourages your site from siding with company CEOs. You're welcome!
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:

Also the fact that Blu-ray sales are commented as being "very good" is reason for small celebration. Any positive anime-related news is these days.

Sorry, but I don't buy any corporate speech since ages. I highly doubt it's just a matter of "focus".
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business? If so, this will seriously create a giantic impact on the anime industry and English audio dubbing.

I don't normally say this, but this one of the few times I hope I am wrong. Almost every show I watch, with the exception of few shows are from Funimation. I just hope the live action movies are being sold and not anime.

Regardless, this may or may not be good news. I just hope Funimation isn't going out of business. That leaves me with only Viz Media for English audio dubbing.
Like everyone said.

Relax buddy. Funimation ain't going nowhere. They're expanding, growing. Assets are good. Profits are strong,investing is high.

Revenues may be down. But that's never really important most of the time. Funimation has grown in stature and still has more value and money than any other R1 label. Section23 may now have money to dub again but Funi has access to markets no one else currently has. Navarre attempting to sell off Funimation to another parent company is all about looking for bigger fish to catch. You heard the news, Navarre may not be able to find a company that will pick them up. So they may stick with Funimation a while longer.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
crilix wrote:
To be completely frank with you, journalism is what Egan Loo does on your site, your article read more like listening to Jim Kramer on Mad Money, chatting up a CEO from Goldman Sachs.

You're a hater who dumps on us every chance he gets. Your criticisms can't be trusted at face value.

It's a guy who hates the Dodgers criticizing their outfield game.

L.A. Dodgers rock!!!!!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Quote:
You know what? I find it extremely hilarious that just because a company is publically traded we should all blindly believe in the sanctity of their quarterly reports. Not only is it hilarious to do so, it is extremely naive.

Because a company is publicly traded, we accept their financial reports as being fairly accurate until we are given reason to think otherwise.
Financial reports have to accurate by law as it would be cantamount to fraud if a company talks up their business only to later find after the crash if was all lies. Enron, Merrill-Lynch anyone? Wink

Quote:
Re: Navarre - There's no secret that corporation is doing badly. I question the logic of selling one of their most profitable subsidiaries, but it makes sense if they want to re-invest that money in their core business areas.

-t
Especially when that subsidiary is managing to make money, a major point for any new buyer and one that should make the bidding interesting. One down side though is timing. Navarre is tring to sell in a buyers market, but with the economy still in recession there still aren't that many entertainment and broadcast companies feeling confident enough to put a bid in even with FUNi bringing in the readies. Also I don't buy the well-if-there-is-no-good-bids-we-stay-together bollox. I've seen and heard that all before and know that would change in an instant when Navarre get desperate. Irreconcilable differences is a common reason for many marriage breakups. Wink
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
The example that comes to my mind is the Earthsea series, which easily has the content to be done as a 13 episode series per book, and which was absolutely butchered down to make the lame live action 3 hour show by SyFy, and which Studio Ghibli tried as well with results that disappointed fans of the series (though for those who have never read the series, Studio Ghibli's work beats the SyFy live action butchering with a stick).

That's possible?!!! SyFy's was so off the mark that if they had changed the names, they probably couldn't have been sued for plagiarism. It was a travesty among travesties, and Studio Ghibli's is worse? Wow. That's gotta hurt. I'd heard that it wasn't all that good, and I haven't seen it (and I'm sure not going to now), but for it to be worse than SyFy's adaptation... That takes talent - though obviously not the sort of talent that should be used.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
agila61 wrote:
The example that comes to my mind is the Earthsea series, which easily has the content to be done as a 13 episode series per book, and which was absolutely butchered down to make the lame live action 3 hour show by SyFy, and which Studio Ghibli tried as well with results that disappointed fans of the series (though for those who have never read the series, Studio Ghibli's work beats the SyFy live action butchering with a stick).

That's possible?!!! SyFy's was so off the mark that if they had changed the names, they probably couldn't have been sued for plagiarism. It was a travesty among travesties, and Studio Ghibli's is worse? Wow. That's gotta hurt. I'd heard that it wasn't all that good, and I haven't seen it (and I'm sure not going to now), but for it to be worse than SyFy's adaptation... That takes talent - though obviously not the sort of talent that should be used.

"Studio Ghibli beats SyFy's version" would mean Ghibli is better. "Studio Ghibli beats SyFy's version with a stick" then means massively better. Not faithtful enough to satisfy most serious Earthsea fans, but OK as a show in its own right.

Having seen the SyFy travesty, I agree wholeheartedly with the Wikipedia characterization, roughly paraphrased, that its like you did a Lord of the Rings where Frodo and the Fellowship get to Rivendell, Frodo decides to wear the ring, and rules a happy land happily ever after,
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
agila61 wrote:

"Studio Ghibli beats SyFy's version" would mean Ghibli is better. "Studio Ghibli beats SyFy's version with a stick" then means massively better. Not faithtful enough to satisfy most serious Earthsea fans, but OK as a show in its own right.

Having seen the SyFy travesty, I agree wholeheartedly with the Wikipedia characterization, roughly paraphrased, that its like you did a Lord of the Rings where Frodo and the Fellowship get to Rivendell, Frodo decides to wear the ring, and rules a happy land happily ever after,

Ah. I guess that I misunderstsood then. I don't know if I'll ever see Ghibli's version, but it's good to hear that it doesn't try to outdo SyFy's for terribleness. *Shudder* Worst book-to-screen adaptation ever...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Ah. I guess that I misunderstsood then. I don't know if I'll ever see Ghibli's version, but it's good to hear that it doesn't try to outdo SyFy's for terribleness. *Shudder* Worst book-to-screen adaptation ever...

Actually, I would say 'Starship Troopers' was the worst book-to-screen adaptation of all time. The director of the movie showed Heinlein's widow the script for the movie and she approved him making it based on that script. He then changed the entire script and released the... product, which mocked and repudiated the concepts Heinlein focused on in the book. Fans of the book were outraged and Heinlien's wife incensed.

But from what little I saw (before feeling very ill) of the Earthsea mini-series, it was indeed horrible.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

Actually, I would say 'Starship Troopers' was the worst book-to-screen adaptation of all time ....

But from what little I saw (before feeling very ill) of the Earthsea mini-series, it was indeed horrible.

What sets Earthsea apart is that it is such a boring, plodding work that it being set in the Earthsea universe is the only thing it has going for it ... and it ignores that possible lifeline to slowly sink below the waves to drown in a sea of ineptitude.

... shorter, it had no redeeming virtues at all. Starship Troopers had a few, though an fan expecting a faithful adaptation of the original would be far to irate to be on the lookout for them.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Actually, I would say 'Starship Troopers' was the worst book-to-screen adaptation of all time. The director of the movie showed Heinlein's widow the script for the movie and she approved him making it based on that script. He then changed the entire script and released the... product, which mocked and repudiated the concepts Heinlein focused on in the book. Fans of the book were outraged and Heinlien's wife incensed.

What! No way! Starship Troopers is such a great satire on so many levels.

Then again I could not possibly care less about the book so that's probably why I feel that way.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
*shakes his fist at Zac* Blasphemer! I look forward to the day He-man *once again* puts the smack down on you and thwarts your nefarious schemes!

On a more serious note, what upset me about the situation around Starship Troopers was how director Paul Verhoeven deceived Heinlein's widow. Yes, I found it annoying the way he subverted and attacked the ideas Heinlein put forth in his book (which *I* liked), but tricking a widow to get her approval to make the movie? That's just low.

I suppose I should make this relate to something in the main thread, but, uh, I really can't think of anything right now. Sorry 'bout that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Zac wrote:

And I'm glad my hating on your site helps to improve it! I've criticized early use of provocative language in your earlier news articles; I'm glad that's slowly changed with Egan Loo coming on board. I've criticized your Answerman column because you really started to hate on anime for no valid reason; I'm glad you handed it over to your colleague. And I'll be extremely glad if my criticism discourages your site from siding with company CEOs. You're welcome!

Maybe we should hire an ombudsman as an arbiter! Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:

You aren't responsible for any of that happening in any way whatsoever. Get over yourself.

Also if you honestly believe that it would be responsible for a journalist to interview someone by going into the interview with severe bias and irrational skepticism based on lazy cynicism and blind doubt, you're a fool.

Last edited by Zac on Sat May 29, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6