• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gen Fukunaga on the status of Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
takimaki wrote:
whether this is good or bad it'[s hard to say..

I series i'd like to see redubbed is sailor moon so the complete series can have a decent english dub the dic dub was bad and incomplete..

I'd also like to the lupin the 3rd tv series get a decent western release..

I also like to see a redub of robotech so it resembles something similar to the the japanese release instead of the useless context to where the english dub currently stands..

1: I agree, a consistent dub of Sailor Moon would be amazing. I have my hopes up after reading an article on ANN a while back that said Toei was hoping to shop SM around, considering how profile that show was back in the day, they may be asking too much for any company to afford right now.
2: You know, I was thinking, Lupin the 3rd might be good for a Western remake. It has the spies, thieves, guns and of course the girls (Fujiko Mine mwahaha) that are supposed to appeal to a Western audience (supposedly). Why it never did so well I'm leaving up to people smarter then me to debate somewhere else other then this thread. Maybe a live-action or one of those fancy co-productions remake done well could appeal to Western audiences.
3: A dub of Robotech more accurate to the Japanese?... Do you mean SDF-1 Macross, Southern Cross and Mospedia? If you're counting Robotech the movie, are you talking about Megazone 23? The dvds with an English dub were made for all of these, I can only speak for Macross when I say it's pretty decent. The dvds are out of print (dunno about Megazone 23 though) but still findable (I picked up the Macross boxset last year and Megazone 23 part 1 and 2 just recently).

The article provided a lot of context for what was going, and basically confirmed what a lot of other people and myself thought: Funimation isn't dying, it's just looking for a new partner to service its needs properly, which Navarre is no longer able to do. If Funimation is able to hook up with a good company maybe these new live-action remakes of anime won't bomb so badly in the box office (like when Fox remade Dragon Ball and didn't rely at all on the original creators or even people at Funimation to make it).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
takimaki wrote:
whether this is good or bad it'[s hard to say..

I series i'd like to see redubbed is sailor moon so the complete series can have a decent english dub the dic dub was bad and incomplete..

I'd also like to the lupin the 3rd tv series get a decent western release..

I also like to see a redub of robotech so it resembles something similar to the the japanese release instead of the useless context to where the english dub currently stands..

1: I agree, a consistent dub of Sailor Moon would be amazing. I have my hopes up after reading an article on ANN a while back that said Toei was hoping to shop SM around, considering how profile that show was back in the day, they may be asking too much for any company to afford right now.

I think Sailor Moon's time has come and gone. Regardless what many think of the dub, that did not prevent it from becoming a cult hit even among mainstream girls, especially in Canada. Even its dub VAs were popular attractions. So obviously the dub did not hinder that.

Instead, that suggests it was a product of its time; unfortunately, timing is not something you can turn back the clock. They can improve on the dub, but they can't improve on the timing - that is, the surrounding environment at the time of release, such as the then-untapped female audience ripe for picking. So no, I don't think the success of Sailor Moon at its time can be replicated now.

GloriousMaximus wrote:

2: You know, I was thinking, Lupin the 3rd might be good for a Western remake. It has the spies, thieves, guns and of course the girls (Fujiko Mine mwahaha) that are supposed to appeal to a Western audience (supposedly).

Don't underestimate the shallowness of a Western audience. They prefer something that looks shiny and new, not outdated animation. Even the nostalgia of a classic like Voltron didn't help it on Toonami. Every new generation has lower tolerance to older and older stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6