• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamaga: New Gainax Work Set in 20th Century Britain

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This makes me more excited for Panty and Stocking. After seeing the Powerpuff Girls art that they released made me hope that it would be super over the top in violence and/or comedy. Hearing that Gainax is making "more refined" stuff than that makes me excited that I'm correct.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
"More refined?" Pamela Anderson as Stripperella teaming up with the Strike Witches to take on the cast of Avenue Q would be more refined than Panty and Stocking.......... I just realized I'd SO watch that......
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
"More refined", hehehe... Like how they're acknowledging the breadth of difference between their two titles so straightforwardly.

As for the "how could you?" stuff about GAINAX that people bring up any time Hanamaru and P&SG are brought up: where were any of you when Madhouse did NEEDLESS or Sunrise did Mai-HiME, or even Satelight with Kiddy Girl-and? Those shows were more outside of their own typical offerings than GAINAX but no one went nuts over it and accused them of pandering. GAINAX has a well-documented past of serious work, fanservice, and a mixture of both sometimes. Heck, they've even done cutesy stuff before (Yucie). That they are doing P&SG and this new British show shouldn't be a great shock to anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, those studios are much bigger than Gainax. Shaft might be a better comparison.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, cool. Britain in the 19th Century could make for some very interesting stories depending on the exact time frame. I hope they put as much attention into this as Emma did for Victorian England.

Quote:
... and the Irish independence. The last one I think could be made into an interesting anime.

It would be sort of surreal to see stuff I learned about in school in an anime. I'm just picturing the Easter Rising or something where all the rebels have pretty-boy male anime character designs Confused
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
So this is how Gainax sees the UK, huh?

Thanks, Gainax, that's really good to know, really.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
Come on Gainax, where's the promised Abenobashi Special?
Still waiting... Sad
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
So Panty/Stocking isn't the anime that's gonna be in 20th century Great Britain?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
Interesting. My point still stands that Gainax's beginnings are not defined just by fan service -- nor the rest of it dedicated to ecchi/mecha/etc. fan service -- so there is some chance for this to be more, uh, "refined."
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ah good, I thought that great setting would be a throwaway, good I hope Yamaga is directing, he's one of the old boys still working there, lets see what happens!
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:47 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
So this is how Gainax sees the UK, huh?

Thanks, Gainax, that's really good to know, really.

Did you read the article? the story set in england is NOT Panty and stocking, its a different project,

and to all the people who think Panty and Stocking will be a fanservise show, I doubt it will apeal as fanservice when the designs look like powerpuff girls....unless your into that kind of thing...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
and to all the people who think Panty and Stocking will be a fanservise show, I doubt it will apeal as fanservice when the designs look like powerpuff girls....unless your into that kind of thing...

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:

Have you seen the the preview manga? One of the girls introduced herself with "Hi, I'm Panty/Stocking (dunno which), I like booze and having sex with guys!" And they use their panties/stocking (respectively) to fight.

So yeah.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Hopefully they include lots of panty shots and bare breasts in this too. Come on Gainax, I know you wanna! Keep it classy and put em in there!

Yeah! And I can't wait to see a Banana Hammock & Boxers with Jockstrap anime with "adult" male characters that look like cute little boys! That's be freakin' awesome!!!
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

And they use their panties/stocking (respectively) to fight.

Confused

I'm morbidly curious about how that works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3