• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Bleach TV Anime on June 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
That's good, hows about geting One Piece such that I, being a Britt, can see it?

One Piece would be trickier. Funimation is already streaming it. http://www4.funimation.com/video/
Crunchyroll doesn't seem to have the same relationship with Funimation as they do with Viz.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
The subtitles for the newer eps still have to be made by someone and DB does have their professional info page (and say they've gotten work before). It isn't like Viz is making scripts the second they air and sending them off for approvals.

And CR would want to use someone like DB because they will maintain the existing fanbase.

Allow me to repost the same quote from CR I posted a few entries ago:

"For subtitles, since BLEACH is already licensed by VIZ Media in the US, VIZ Media will continue to provide the official translation and subtitling for the newest episodes as well. Some of you have given us excellent feedback regarding subtitles, which we forwarded on to Japan. Please note that CR does NOT handle the subtitles for BLEACH (nor Naruto). While we thank you for your comments regarding proposed subtitling vendors for BLEACH, and tried our best to persuade based on your feedback however, we don't have any control over this matter!"

garfield15 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
That's good, hows about geting One Piece such that I, being a Britt, can see it?

They'll have to be go on their hands and knees for FUNi to even consider something like that.

I believe the problem here is more Toei than FUNi; even if it was streamed on Crunchyroll the UK would almost certainly be locked out like it has been for all the other Toei shows on CR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

They'll have to be go on their hands and knees for FUNi to even consider something like that.

I believe the problem here is more Toei than FUNi; even if it was streamed on Crunchyroll the UK would almost certainly be locked out like it has been for all the other Toei shows on CR.

Yeah, I remember the whole thing about Toei being a bunch of half arsed imbeciles who can't even keep track of thier UK licencing at the best of times (4Kids one piece aired over here for two weeks last year) and really owe their existence to Dragon ball at this point.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Not so much from ad-streams, at present levels of views, from recent exchange of PR's, if there are 10m's of streams per month, since gross ad revenues are a couple of pennies per episode at best, so in the range of $1m's annually at most via that channel. On the other hand its been growing at a rapid rate.

In the business model, its seems likely that an important part of the ad-streams is in generating new anime memberships.

One must also consider the income that comes from subscriptions, though I'm not sure which is more important (advertising or subscriptions).

No way to tell since CR does not release membership numbers. Certainly in terms of per view revenue, the average subscriber would have to be at least 10x the revenue per view, and likely 20x to 30x the revenue per view.

Also the royalty terms are not revealed, but since some streams like the original Naruto series and the deadline stream of Fairy Tail are exclusive to members, CR may pay a higher per view royalty rate for views by members. They are certainly in a position to pay a higher royalty rate for views by members. If the average member watched one stream per day, that would be about $0.15 per view rather than a couple of pennies at best from ads.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

What is the rights conflict in the UK ... is it a difference in copyright law that gives a broadcast rights owner more ability to block streams or a UK rights holder that has contractual rights that allow them to be a roadblock?
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

One Piece would be trickier. Funimation is already streaming it. http://www4.funimation.com/video/
Crunchyroll doesn't seem to have the same relationship with Funimation as they do with Viz.

That's putting it mildly ... CR's jump over the fence to legit streaming was anchored on their deal with TV Tokyo, and the cornerstone of that is the Naruto deal which helps fund the subtitle which then allows VizMedia to distribute Naruto more widely.

Funimation and CR seem to be acting more like rivals than likely joint venture partners. Funimation seems to be thinking of CR as being in a very competitive stance, and may be responding in kind. Of course, when that kind of rivalry sets in, both sides tend to think of the other side as "starting it".
FMPhoenixHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
I only wonder how this will affect the run of Bleach on Hulu. Since they are pretty far behind, I suspect not a whole lot. And I wonder when the dubbed eps will hit, if at all.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
FMPhoenixHawk wrote:
I only wonder how this will affect the run of Bleach on Hulu. Since they are pretty far behind, I suspect not a whole lot. And I wonder when the dubbed eps will hit, if at all.

CR says a deal "similar to Naruto", and just like Naruto, the producers have hired Viz to do the subtitle.

So Viz putting subbed Bleach on their Hulu channel a week after broadcast would not be surprising. Obviously look to VizMedia for announcements on that, CR will focus on what they are doing.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
That's almost like supplying someone with something, getting them addicted, and then taking it away from them while laughing at that their situation in which you helped create. That is immature while comical in a dark sense. Either way I'm glad BLEACH is finally being picked up by CR. I didn't know they were almost to episode 300 though.

Well it's not like the addicts can't just switch over to CR. I appreciate Dattebaiyo's (relatively) ethical approach to fansubbing. Too many folks just keep subbing and uploading material even after it's been licensed. A big part of what's killing the industry is that the animators can't make a living anymore.
Vapors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ELDRAGON wrote:
Vapors wrote:
Glad to hear about this now. So that means the big 3 are taken care of. I've put off on going to CR for some time now, but there are now just too many incentives in not not going there. Now just need to figure out how to get the feed from my comp to my TV.

Well, depending on your computer, the easiest way is to connect to your TV with either an S-video or HDMI cable. I use the latter.

I got an IMac (before the intel chips) not a PC and my TV is a CRT, not a flatscreen, so I'm gonna have to do some research on how to get images from point A to point B. I may spring for a cheap PC but I sorta need to watch the funds now.

For those of you with CR subscriptions, other than an earlier time to see content, is there anything else that they give with subscribers? Exclusive content, faster connection, etc.

And as for CR and Funi being rivals, I'm all for it as long as it benefits the consumers. Things have been trending downward for the last few years, so someone out there needs to figure out a new way to monetize this new digitial age or whatnot. And if that's accomplished through a rivalary, then let's see it and hopefully it can benefit the anime industry and fans alike.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Its not a bootleg rip-off of the RAW, its uploaded by the people who make it.

Ah yes, that too. How could I forget? It's very important because when they air in Japan sometimes the area where they're recording the raw has warnings and alerts, you won't see them on an version given to the legal companies here to sub them. That's always nice.

Actually, the announcement at CR says
Quote:
All episodes will be available to all viewers, with the latest simulcast episode available for Premium Members one-hour after TV broadcast in 480p and 720p, then available for all viewers one week later.

So for CR subscribers ("anime" and "premium" members) in R1 and R4 as well as the Nordic countries, UK, Ireland, Netherlands, and South Africa, it'll be available in better native resolution than Japanese digital SD.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:
Glad to hear about this now. So that means the big 3 are taken care of. I've put off on going to CR for some time now, but there are now just too many incentives in not not going there. Now just need to figure out how to get the feed from my comp to my TV.

Check your video card. It might have a TV output of some sort. With many LCD and plasma TVs it's possible to get a cable to connect the output, depending upon the video output of your computer. Sound is connected via the output from your sound card.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Vapors wrote:

For those of you with CR subscriptions, other than an earlier time to see content, is there anything else that they give with subscribers? Exclusive content, faster connection, etc.

well you get high def streams (though only some go to 720p), no ads, and you have to be a subscriber to watch the original nauto. might be some other stuff i'm overlooking but not sure.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Darc_knight wrote:
how does watching anime on cruncyroll differ from any other website that provides fansub?

#1. Crunchy Roll are not fansubbers. (although they used to be, I believe.)
#2. It's legal. You can always count on it being up on the site at the time they say it will, and it won't ever be removed due to copyright infringement.

Actually CR didn't sub anything, least not directly. They hosted fansubs of series that had not been licensed yet.

CR was the anime equivalent of OneManga, an aggregator site with low quality fansubs. The owner got ridiculously lucky with a huge payoff from his illegal venture. Speaking of, I hope OneManga doesn't turn out like that.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Darc_knight wrote:
how does watching anime on cruncyroll differ from any other website that provides fansub?

#1. Crunchy Roll are not fansubbers. (although they used to be, I believe.)
#2. It's legal. You can always count on it being up on the site at the time they say it will, and it won't ever be removed due to copyright infringement.

Actually CR didn't sub anything, least not directly. They hosted fansubs of series that had not been licensed yet.

CR was the anime equivalent of OneManga, an aggregator site with low quality fansubs. The owner got ridiculously lucky with a huge payoff from his illegal venture. Speaking of, I hope OneManga doesn't turn out like that.

Speaking of the past, I've been around CR since the beginning and I can definitely say the only thing I miss would be spoiler[They had a crapload of really old and classic anime that would never be licensed in the US.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6