• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: Devilman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn, sounds like MegaTen on acid. I wish someone would publish Go Nagai's stuff in English; I've been interested in him ever since watching the excellent New Getter Robo OVA.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
I love this series. I so glad to see it get some much needed recognition..
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:29 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I know Sailor Moon (and hence its imitators) traces some of its lineage back to Cutie Honey, and Mazinger Z's influence is obvious, but did Harenchi Gakuen have a lot of imitators itself?

I'm not sure if Harenchi Gakuen inspired any similar series, but if you go to Osamu Tezuka's website now, it credits Go Nagai and the Pandora's Box he opened with HG with the introduction of more sex and violence in shonen manga. This influence is cited on the blurb for Apollo's Song. So I would say influencing the "God of Manga" would pretty much have a huge effect on the entire industry.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
One of my favourite manga ever. I'd love to put it on my shelf if it were released here (I'd also kill for a copy of the OVAs without the horrendous Manga Ent. dub).
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
I read Devilman last year. It is wonderful, yes, though some of the writing was a bit spotty at the beginning. For example, so much of the introduction to demons comes from expository dialogue, and Ryo seemed like he was supposed to be sympathetic-- which is weird for a character who kidnapped and stabbed a bunch of hippies for the sake of attracting demons.

Devilman not only heavily inspired Evangelion, but much of shonen anime. Bleach, Devil May Cry, and Shikabane Hime are among a few examples of series that probably wouldn't exist without Devilman. And there's the whole Cthulhu concept mentioned in the review of an ancient race who used to dominate the earth returning to reclaim that which it "rightfully" owns-- this was later seen in Nagai's own Getter Robo (dinosaurs), Tomino's Brave Raideen (the enemies were demons who used to rule the Earth and the protagonist was even named Akira), Evangelion (spoiler[The First Ancestral Race intended Earth to be home to the Angels, but Lilith accidentally landed on Earth and screwed everything up]), RahXephon (inspired heavily by Brave Raideen) and... at least one other important thing I'm forgetting.

What was I talking about? Devilman? Yeah, you should read that.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, the great tragedy of Go Nagai! The man that helped shape anime and manga and yet is completely unknown because American companies refuse to publish him and whom today's anime youth would probably ignore if he WAS published. [sigh]

In anycase, this is a great article. I only hope people read it and take it to heart.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
Wonderful article; I was most pleased that Nagai got some attention. But, sadface Sad at the thumbs down for Devil Lady. I don't know about the manga, but the anime is one of my favorite series. Certainly not one of the greatest made, but it's definitely close to my heart.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
Little picture for you old-school/Nagai fans: Go Nagai and Osamu Tezuka meeting with Stan Lee in 1978.

What could have been...

Anyway, I enjoy these articles and I really enjoyed this one in particular. What I find interesting is not only how Devilman predated concepts that are now commonplace in manga, but also something that has become all too popular in American comics. 1972 was also the same year Jack Kirby created Etrigan: The Demon, a pastiche of horror and superheroics.

It's a coincidence that makes me smile: two legends, two different parts of the world, both writing/drawing about monsters as saviors. Anime smile
Kakugo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
I don't know about the manga, but the anime is one of my favorite series.

As is typical of Nagai adaptations, it has absolutely nothing to do with the source material. The Devilman Lady TV series is a masterpiece from about episode 8 onward. The manga it's (not-really) based on, eh, less so.

I adore Devilman. Have since I saw the 1987 OVA in the early 90s, which remains a pretty dark and accurate primer for the franchise. I also think Apocalypse of Devilman is the single most grotesque and cruel piece of animation on the planet, and I wish more people could be savaged by it at large. Even the Ultraman-esque TV series has its' own goofy charm, though I'm certainly glad that Nagai ran with the concept on his own terms.

I can't possibly say enough bad things about the live action movie though. That thing is, like, Gary Daniels in Fist of the North Star bad. Except even worse.

Was the bilingual printing the same as the Kanzenban from a few years prior to it? That version worked in chapters from Shin Devilman and replaced some of the original content outright. For reference - the various Time Sleep stories were included, and the chapter involving spoiler[people turning into pillars of salt] was not.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
YES!

Thank you Jason, for spreading the word about Mr. Nagai's best.

Mazinger can suck it.
Akumaphyre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I love Devilman and Go Nagai. I vaguely remember watching the anime in the mid 90's, picked it up at blockbuster video , I had to have been around 14 , and watched it with a friend it was so awesome.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I must also request for links to this easily found bilingual edition; I found them all on Amazon.jp, but they were all only for shipping in Japan. ;-;
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
while unrelated to this article, jason thompson said on another page

Quote:

Devilman in particular is a great read (it's available in a Kodansha Bilingual edition), although Go Nagai has real ups and downs... he's done lots of total garbage, and his earlier work is far better than his later work.

i disagree with that statement, plus I doubt you even read 1/10 of his latest mangas. seriously, he has done plenty of great mangas after Devilman. Kishin, Mazinsaga, Susano-Oh (which he won an award for it) just to name a few out of the 500+ titles he made.
Adonisus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Go Nagai is, and remains, my favorite living manga artist. He is in every way brilliant, innovative, and bat-shit NUTS. I've read a great deal of his work, and it never ceases to amaze me how his relatively old-school artwork somehow always manages to remain fresh.

Go Nagai will always remain in my heart of hearts for his one pet project that is probably closest to his heart: His manga adaptation of Dante's The Divine Comedy.
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wait, so back up. Are you saying that one of the biggest Devilman fans in America screwed up in bringing the series to the states? Wow, I had more faith in you Danzig.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3