• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gainax's Hiroyuki Yamaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The opening sequence of Cutey Honey live action is watchable at least. It has some style and flair and is amusingly over-the-top, but after that it just sort of wanders off and never captures that spirit again. Even Mayumi Shintani couldn't save it.
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From a western perspective, we see a lot of things that look like the Japanese government is pressuring studios to "clean up" in some ways, especially in relation to lolicon materials. Do you feel that the government is pressuring companies? Where do you think it will lead in the end?

Yeah, they're trying to pass a law. I think the rule is kind of stupid and ridiculous, if they pass it then the censorship would be pretty ridiculous. But I think my job is to bring animation right up to the boundary of the censorship, because fans will want to see it — but not make it illegal.

I love this guy! Somehow I knew Gainax wouldn't be kowtowing to the moral bullying and violation of freedom of expression this law represents. It's a shame that he and other creators don't appear to have much control over whether it passes.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
LemonCookies wrote:
Quote:
From a western perspective, we see a lot of things that look like the Japanese government is pressuring studios to "clean up" in some ways, especially in relation to lolicon materials. Do you feel that the government is pressuring companies? Where do you think it will lead in the end?

Yeah, they're trying to pass a law. I think the rule is kind of stupid and ridiculous, if they pass it then the censorship would be pretty ridiculous. But I think my job is to bring animation right up to the boundary of the censorship, because fans will want to see it — but not make it illegal.

I love this guy! Somehow I knew Gainax wouldn't be kowtowing to the moral bullying and violation of freedom of expression this law represents. It's a shame that he and other creators don't appear to have much control over whether it passes.

ok. but this is also probably why Gainax offices aren't as large as Ghibli's next door.

keepin' it classy Rolling Eyes
sonickid101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
wait sence when have we heard new news on any other live action anime besideds Evangelion? oh well I geuss we never heard anything about it if this interviewer said so... also Yamaga must realy not reasearch anything about the live action eva project, none of the interviews with weta? Its about a show you helped create, not the least bit intristed?
Well what ever, nice interview, though I do have nitpicks, I think your exagerating that Anno always gos to Eva, he did the series movies, and the new movies, its not like he made all of thoughs horrible manga spin offs, but I digress. I hope there new show will be good, good to see that we'll be given news about it soon.
Also if Eva fans are still arguing about what Yamaga said regarding eva at fanime con, just keep in mind he worked on eva over 10 years agoe, he dosn't remember everything.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Justin Sevakis said that for Eva 1.0, Khara demanded that it be given a "theatrical run" (as a matter of prestige?) even though FUNimation told them this would lose money and they couldn't possibly run it in enough theaters to break even (it was only ever in 6 theaters at a given time, and proportionately earned good profit at each, but this couldn't equal the cost of making movie prints)

Odd, as the movie has been released in other countries and it was never done as a theatrical run (straight DVD/Blu Ray release), so I'm not really sure that's the case in general for 2.0+.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I'd never realized that OP/ED songs were choosen by music sponsers. It makes sense though. Very interesting.

Clearly this isn't always the case since some songs are written specifically for the series and other are sung by the seiyuu - although presumably in those cases the artists are on the sponsor's books or the CDs are released through them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Haha oh yes I knew Gainax was not a big-budget company after readin Memoirs of Madness. I wish that book went more into the creative side of things than the business side though.
I thought it was a good balance. Actually are you talking about The Notenki Memoirs? Whatever the title, I HIGHLY recommend that anyone interested enough in Gainax to read the interview, participate in this thread or watch their anime should read this book. It reads very much like a biography of Hiroyuki Yamaga (and a little bit on Hideaki Anno) from the point of view of a longtime Gainax insider.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
A Shell of Hiroyuki Yamaga's Former Self wrote:
But if moe was really selling that well, we'd probably do it too . . . Even I don't know what really makes us so unique from other companies . . . I think Gainax isn't that different from other studios. We have the same amount of "otaku." I don't think I can become an otaku

How absolutely depressing.

For the last decade or so, everything that comes out of Hiroyuki Yamaga's mouth has been the words of a man utterly defeated by the realities of the Japanese animation industry and its fandom; a guy whose hopes have been stripped away, leaving nothing but an empty husk where once a great man once stood.

Well, I don't want to remember him as he is now. I want to remember the Hiroyuki Yamaga who put his heart and soul into telling stories for the sake of themselves, not some cynical cash grab. The Hiroyuki Yamaga in my mind is a guy who helped make the name "Gainax" truly mean something special once upon a time, in an era now part of history.

I'd rather remember the Hiroyuki Yamaga who made The Wings of Honneamise and wrote Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. This guy standing before us now is just some soulless hollow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote
How is the license for Evangelion 2.0 not out yet? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't a German and a Cantonese dub already been made?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation say they haven't even been offered it - rumour is that Gainax/Khara/whoever is handling international rights is holding out for a big theatrical showing in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation hasn't been offered it *yet* or it hasn't been offered it *at all*? Please someone tell me, because the latter would worry me quite a bit. I really want all the original cast back, and they're the only studio that could appeal to the proper demographic AND have the necessary funds to do it. Al other companies either don't have the money or don't have the interest. I mean, I guarantee you Disney will never pick it up like they did the Studio Gihbli (sp?) films.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
FUNimation hasn't been offered it *yet* or it hasn't been offered it *at all*?

That's like asking "it hasn't rained today or hasn't rained yet?" - until midnight you don't know, especially when it comes to anime companies who dislike simple yes or no answers at the best of times..
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
FUNimation hasn't been offered it *yet* or it hasn't been offered it *at all*?

That's like asking "it hasn't rained today or hasn't rained yet?" - until midnight you don't know, especially when it comes to anime companies who dislike simple yes or no answers at the best of times..

True, I apologize. I guess what I meant was that I was trying to figure out if the situation is as follows, either:

a) The "Owners of Evangelion" (which is to say Studio Khara, Gainax, or whomever is in charge of giving out the international rights) have started shopping around the rights to Evangelion 2.0, but are not offering it to FUNimation.
b) The "Owners of Evangelion" have not even begun to shop the rights around in the English-speaking world yet.

So...is it one of those two situations, or does nobody know?
victorinox243

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the whole "It's a shell of its former self" nostalgia. I prefer not to look back with rose tinted glasses, but I admit things have changed. Most of the animation giants we know now came from ridiculously small places fueled only by determination, vision, blood, sweat, and tears. Disney's studio was at stake when he made Snow White. Pixar was in the grace of Steve Job's gamble for their success. And Gainax was started by college kids who did it all because it was fun.

They became lucrative. And being giants they are, they are all now part of the market. Pixar has been riding the wave pretty well, but that's cause they have a huge budget and 4 years to make 90 minutes of magic. These anime guys have to do a season's worth of television with a fraction of a movie budget.

The reason why they are waiting with the Evangelion rights? To maximize profits. The fate of the Japanese anime industry is now tied in with the massive American market. There are some anime you will never see here legally because companies can't get all the rights together in the same place at the same time. America is lucky to have the anime it has. Evangelion is huge. Gainax must tread carefully with this potential cash cow or face losing a lot.

Creatively, Gainax may not be paying attention to the outside world, (we love 'em the way they are) but like all the other studios, in the backroom they ARE paying attention .

The anime companies are at the mercy of their own fanbase. The only thing we can do for now is keep supporting them, and keep the pirates and scanlators from sucking their scant profits away.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Actually are you talking about The Notenki Memoirs? Whatever the title, I HIGHLY recommend that anyone interested enough in Gainax to read the interview, participate in this thread or watch their anime should read this book.

It's a great book, but OOP like everything else from ADV Manga. Luckily I bought it when it was still in-print. Buying it now looks to be very pricey.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4