• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK top 100 Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Kyo wrote:
Why is Tom and Jerry on the list?

Why wouldn't it be? It may be old, but even a Japanese top list from a few years listed it as one of their top titles (don't remember if it #1 or not, but it was right up there). Can anyone find that listing, I've searched here and can't seem to turn it up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
Isn't Legend of the Overfiend a hentai?

Yep, and it has never been released uncut in the UK

I am still shocked to see Legend of the Overfiend making this list. There are plenty of other classic anime such as Nausicca of the Wind or Evangelion that I would think would rate better.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Tom and Jerry is an utterly shitty cartoon. The Warner Brothers made so much better cartoons. Bugs Bunny is funny. Tom and Jerry is crappy.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Kyo wrote:

Why wouldn't it be? It may be old, but even a Japanese top list from a few years listed it as one of their top titles (don't remember if it #1 or not, but it was right up there). Can anyone find that listing, I've searched here and can't seem to turn it up.

Emerje

I believe it was the #1 on the list.

It's a somewhat decent cartoon. Though, I wouldn't really ever say it's the #1, but I'm pretty sure it was their #1.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Treeloot wrote:
Tom and Jerry is an utterly shitty cartoon. The Warner Brothers made so much better cartoons. Bugs Bunny is funny. Tom and Jerry is crappy.

I compleatly disagree. The original "Tom and Jerry" (and not it's mediocre follow-ups) is a classic and inovative cartoon.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Treeloot wrote:

I compleatly disagree. The original "Tom and Jerry" (and not it's mediocre follow-ups) is a classic and inovative cartoon.

I always liked Tom and Jerry more than Bugs Bunny. Bugs Bunny was always so loud. Confused
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
My mom banned Tom and Jerry in my house when I was little.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I always preferred Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies/Warner Bros. in general over whatever MGM was putting out, especially Tom and Jerry. It seemed to me like Looney Tunes aimed itself more at an adult audience with its humor (but kids could still enjoy the slapstick), while Tom and Jerry was nothing but slapstick.

I'm glad Family Guy at least scored 5th place, considering most people consider it to be a low-grade rip-off of The Simpsons. Mad It's my personal top cartoon ever, and I'm really glad that some executive realized that there was a market for an intelligent comedy show that isn't afraid to say whatever it wants and not come off as somewhat crude (like South Park, though it's funny at times).

It might be just me, but comparing conventional Western animation and anime just seems like comparing spaghetti and tacos. They're two very different tastes, and though there has been more crossover of late, they're still very different and hard to compare. Similarly, movies should not be compared to TV shows. While Family Guy is my favorite TV cartoon, I believe that, in terms of artistry, Spirited Away is superior.

Then again, lists like these change every day, so one must not place much stock in them.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Anji wrote:
IanC wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
Isn't Legend of the Overfiend a hentai?

Yep, and it has never been released uncut in the UK

I am still shocked to see Legend of the Overfiend making this list. There are plenty of other classic anime such as Nausicca of the Wind or Evangelion that I would think would rate better.

Well remember that in the UK, this was probably the anime that most people had heard of in the bad old days when anime distributors were primarily distributing the mature content stuff. This wasthe title that gave anime it's "tits and tentacles" reputation over there. The title might not have been well liked, but it probably was well known.[/b]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Those Cartoons are not that good.
Either I have weird cartoon taste or UK people do. Or maybe because I’m Asian
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Legend of the Overfiend is on the list at all when stuff like Evangelion, Bebop, or Ghost in the Shell didn't even make the list says a lot about the list's credibility. And I agree with Tenchi in that while Spirited Away is a wonderful film, Kiki is still Miyazaki's best work. And Family Guy belongs somewhere in the 50's-it's one of the funniest things ever whenever it focuses on Brian or Stewie (or better yet, the two of them together, as in the Europe episode) but usually it insists on focusing on Peter, AKA Homer Simpson minus the funny or the everyman charm, and then it falls flat on its face. But hey, kudos to Seth Mcfarlane for taking the exact same show, changing all the character designs, and tricking Fox into thinking it's some new series called American Dad. Wink

Still, the list got some things right-Tom and Jerry deserves its recognition for being phsyical comedy distilled down to its purest form with no dialouge and only two recurring characters to get in the way (the Warner toons are great, but many of their signature sight gag appeared on Tom and Jerry first.) South Park's insightful social commentary (some people can't see past the fart jokes, but the satire is usually dead-on) means it desereves a spot, though I wouldn't put it as high as third place.

And the Simpsons deserves to be number one, at least in the english-speaking world. While the show isn't as funny as it used to be, it's still better than almost any live-action comedy in history, it's been successfully lampooning American life for fifteen years, which is no small feat in an industry where a property lasts three years if it's lucky, and most importantly, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, Futurama, every non-anime show on Adult Swim, et al would never have existed if the Simpsons hadn't been there first to establish that yes, people over twelve can and do enjoy animation. The word "d'oh" is now in the dictonary, Homer is frequently sited by scholars as the embodiment of the modern American everyman; to say the Simpsons has had an influence on the culture is like saying the liscencing of Naruto caused a tiny stir on the internet. And you don't reach that iconic level without being a great show.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:30 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
And Family Guy belongs somewhere in the 50's-it's one of the funniest things ever whenever it focuses on Brian or Stewie (or better yet, the two of them together, as in the Europe episode) but usually it insists on focusing on Peter, AKA Homer Simpson minus the funny or the everyman charm, and then it falls flat on its face. But hey, kudos to Seth Mcfarlane for taking the exact same show, changing all the character designs, and tricking Fox into thinking it's some new series called American Dad. Wink

I beg to differ. I find Homer Simpson to be too downright stupid at times to be funny, like we're celebrating stupidity by calling it funny. Peter, on the otherhand, does some stupid things, but he does a lot of intelligent things, especially making tons of references to other aspects of culture. Given a choice, I'd take Peter every day. And American Dad is the same kind of humor, but the feel is different, especially when you've got a father who works for the CIA inserting lots of right-wing ideas for them to make fun of, as well as make fun of the US in general.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Seeing "The Simpson’s" and "South Park" at the very top didn't surprise me since Channel 4 has been hawking these quite heavily lately. I loved the description by those two blokes, of the type of people who voted for "Urotsukidoji"; "Fat, bespectacled, greasy, smelly, spotty, no girlfriend, never goes out, basically has no life at all." I cringed when they showed that. But Love it, or loathe it, (which I the latter), it was shown on terrestrial TV and the General population saw it (in the UK).That's why it made it to the list, and people still keep pointing to it as the generic description of what Japanese "cartoons" are all about. Even our Jonathan Clements, author of "The Anime Encyclopedia", wrote in our NEO magazine " I demanded to know why Urotsukidoji was there at all - yes it sells well, but that doesn't make it the greatest by a long tentacle." I wish it never left the shores of Japan. Manga Entertainment’s worst mistake.
Rolling Eyes
darkxodia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Kyo wrote:

buddy..why not? seriously it IS one of the greatest cartoons of all times. PERIOD.
Grico

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
yeah used to watch Danger mouse all the time when I was a kid and it was on the USA network. Great show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3