• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think the problem with adapting anime into a live action TV show is that as you said, it would cost way too much. I suppose you could try adapting some stuff not requiring a lot of expensive effects and stuff but there's generally not as much of this kind of thing to be found in anime which is not surprising. The fact that anime can do stuff that would cost a fortune in live action attracts a lot of this stuff to anime.

konkonsn wrote:
Quote:
Now, should you bend over and begrudgingly accept the wallet rape of opportunistic second-hand book dealers?

Oh Brian, did you really make a rape joke? Please read up on the issues surrounding this topic. Here's a starter link: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/feminism-friday-more-on-how-rape-jokes-just-arent-funny/

Except he didn't really make a 'rape joke' at all. Or at least not a joke about a person being raped. If he did...well maybe that might be considered tasteless. However, just the word 'rape' does not necessarily refer to the rape of a person. Rape is also defined as simply "the violent, destructive, or abusive treatment of something". What Brian said was not offensive. It was English. Perhaps you ought to read up a little on the latter before you get on a soap box about the former.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
I scored mostly like new copies of Planetes for a total of about $120, but some of the prices people listed were insane. Between 200 and 300 dollars new for a few of the volumes? Yea... no.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
There are three main problems with adapting anime into live-action and the budget is one of them. Even if you had the budget in many cases the sets and clothes should be redesigned to fit live-action and last but not least all cultural specific elements would be adapted to fit US audience and of course music would be different.

One of the reason I like anime is that it's animated which has its own strenghts and weaknesses compared to live-action and not only budget wise but also visually. Not everything needs to be in live-action.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Quote:
Now, should you bend over and begrudgingly accept the wallet rape of opportunistic second-hand book dealers?

Oh Brian, did you really make a rape joke? Please read up on the issues surrounding this topic. Here's a starter link: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/feminism-friday-more-on-how-rape-jokes-just-arent-funny/

Would it have been better if he had chosen a word like 'death'? That would be so offensive! Batteries die everyday! Would someone please think of the poor batteries in my Wiimote?! Sad

I'm not all for using certain words too lightly, but I don't see how the use of the word rape in this column is very offensive. I don't think Brian was thinking about women when he said that. If you were raped of know someone who was, I'm sorry. However, I don't think it's alright to delete the other meanings of certain words for the sake of victims.

Anyway, on to a more lighthearted discussion: Yeah, I hate it when things go OOP! So far I've been pretty lucky. Extremely lucky if you count Basara 20. Bought it from Anime Corner Store for $9,99. It wasn't the last one, no they last one they put on Amazon for $399,95.

The complete Planetes manga cost me, let's see, €12. Some volumes have little ramsj-stripes, but I guess that can't be helped.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
RE: Excel anecdote. Try collecting the 2nd edition Maison Ikkoku books. Anyway, the other solution is to get enough people to tweet Viz to put it out in a Vizbig version.

Quote:
Welcome, friend, to the nightmare that exists for anyone trying to get ahold of the sixth and final volume of Dark Horse's print run of Otomo's Akira!

Just scour comic book stores and cons for the singles from Epic. You want a real challenge, try to get the hardcover editions of that manga.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Haven't used it much myself, but alibris.com sells new and used books there. [url=http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=7685774&matches=25&keyword=five+star+stories&cm_sp=works*listing*title]Not sure if it helps, but I did a quick search on Five Star Stories[/url] and found something (and seems to have more volumes in the you might like column).

Thanks! I will definitely look at this site. Smile Has anyone had experience with buying through it?

Alibris is good—it's one of the larger used-book listing sites. But...

enurtsol wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
<snip>

Try Abe Books.

Like Alibris, Abe Books is also good...but why use a single site when BookFinder.com allows you to browse just about all of them? Except Walmart.com, which AddALL does cover, though they only search 36 sites to BookFinder.com's 96.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
I've always thought that the Nausicaa manga would make an epic, Emmy sweeping HBO miniseries of say 10, hour long episodes... Given the structure of the original manga.

It'd need Band of Brother's level budget, but the technology to do it is here now.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I've always thought that the Nausicaa manga would make an epic, Emmy sweeping HBO miniseries of say 10, hour long episodes... Given the structure of the original manga.

It'd need Band of Brother's level budget, but the technology to do it is here now.

It would be mostly CGI animation any way so why bother with live actors that wouldn't match with the backgrounds?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
considering that there's still two more volumes of Excel Saga before the series is complete,

Is this true? Just two more volumes to go?! If so, I was wondering if this series was going to keep going on and on. Now that I know it will soon have its conclusion, I'm feeling both excited and sad. Anyway, I consider myself fortunate for having collected this series back when it started so that I wouldn't have a problem with out-of-print copies.

When I tried collecting Chirality, a Yuri manga series from Central Park Media, I ended up having to get a used copy of the second volume for over $50. Earlier there was a copy for just $20, but I missed my window on that, and I went and got the $50 one because who knew what price it would be the next time it showed up there, or even on Froogle? In commenting on these merchants—I found that you could get the original Synch-Point release of the FLCL ultimate edition for as low as $195. The only two reasons one would have for trying to sell it for that high is either because they feel they could get rich from this discontinued product (never mind that Funimation will soon release a cheaper edition), or if they just don’t care to sell it at all.

I tried avoiding collecting any long-running manga that I had missed, like Kare Kano and Angel Sanctuary, because collectively it would be expensive and there was the risk of out-of-print copies. Then I gave in and just started collecting Oh My Goddess a while ago, then I took a gamble with Kare Kano when the Tokyopop sale took place at Right Stuf. I got half of the volumes in the first shipment, and I’m due to get the next half at some point. I was surprised, because I half-expected to find that a few volumes would have been discontinued beyond Right Stuf's knoweldge. My point is, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t, but it’s always the best advantage to collect these things when they first come out.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
When I tried collecting Chirality, a Yuri manga series from Central Park Media, I ended up having to get a used copy of the second volume for over $50.

Used to have volume one of the CPM release. Print quality was pretty bad. For $50 each I'd go for the Japanese B5 edition (two volumes) with the bonus drama CDs; current eBay price (before shipping) is actually cheaper.

Years ago I bought Four Shoujo Stories new. Traded it for some American comics I couldn't find locally. At the time of the trade I think the going price was $50.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
Making live-action TV adaptations of anime is certainly an interesting idea. I personally would want to see someone try to adapt "Rose of Versailles" or "AD Police," but that's just wishful thinking on my part.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing all the Wild Act volumes at Book Sale. Only got 1-3 at first. Bought vol. 4 brand new later at Comic Odyssey, but by that time Book Sale was sold out of vols. 5-7 & 9. Not really a problem since vols. 5-8 are easily available on eBay, cheap. The real problem with completing the series is that vol. 10 goes for as much as $30.

Anime-wise I'm still trying to complete Kimagure Orange Road TV. My regular comic shop had vols. 2-11 at 50% off, but I only got up to vol. 5 before it closed for good. Getting the remastered Japanese DVD box (without the limited edition Madoka figure) would be cheaper than getting a complete set of the R1s.
Sonicbug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
considering that there's still two more volumes of Excel Saga before the series is complete,

Is this true? Just two more volumes to go?! If so, I was wondering if this series was going to keep going on and on. Now that I know it will soon have its conclusion, I'm feeling both excited and sad.

The series is still running. It's winding down, but it's still running. They've released up to volume 24 in Japan, maybe that's what he means.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
samuelp wrote:

It would be mostly CGI animation any way so why bother with live actors that wouldn't match with the backgrounds?

Same could be said about the Lord of the Rings movies.
I think human actors would make it a lot better than CG...
Avatar and LotR prove that a "live action" version could be made even in such a fantastical world.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Every time I read the Question of the Week I enjoy, I tell myself to fire off an email. It never gets done. So, I'm going to address them here instead.

The question, summarized, is what is the industry doing that's good?

Honestly, not much. Things have been pretty much stagnant for quite some time, so there's really nothing to see that's "good". I could say the retirement of singles is a great thing, but I never bought them, so this would be for those who spent $180 for Lucky Star (damn, that just makes me cringe) and are probably cursing themselves since I just bought the entire series at the price of one single.

Some would argue streaming is a good thing, but I see this contribution more out of necessity than of expansion. I don't think there's any doubt fan sub sites forced the industry's hand.

Geez, the more I think about this, the depressing it gets. The "negative" side of things just overshadows the one, maybe two, things to be done lately.

I think I'm going to go sit in a corner and cry and be ashamed I can't list 10 things that are good.
Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6