• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Inkreader13 wrote:
And at Anime North last weekend I bought volume 6 of Akira for $12. This was on Sunday and they still had about 8 or 9 copies left. I really had no idea how hard it was to get.

I see you got the same deal I did!
Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I definitely feel the pain of someone trying to buy oop manga. I really want to start buying Saikano, but vol 7 is pretty much impossible to find at a decent price, so I'm just hoping for a re-printing.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I could say the retirement of singles is a great thing, but I never bought them, so this would be for those who spent $180 for Lucky Star (damn, that just makes me cringe) and are probably cursing themselves since I just bought the entire series at the price of one single.

The $180 price tag includes a high quality artbox, t shirts, and a slew of CD's. No reason to cringe. You get your money worth essentially.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I typically avoid OOP issues, becuase I look into the prices on the whole series before I jump on any random volumes... I'll skip the whole series if one volume or another is too expensive for my tastes.

As for the folks complaining that 'how dare they charge these prices'... well, if you're paying that much, why should they change? The anime collector's market is a fickle, twitchy thing, but it does exist, and that means some things cost more. A lot of those prices are wildcards- I doubt the guy with the $2500 listing really expects it to sell- but Amazon listings are cheap & easy, and all he needs is 1 deep-pocketed idiot to turn up someday to get one check of a profit.

Always remember, you're not obligated to buy those overpriced items- it's up to you to decide just how much that complete collection is worth.

Yeah, I was going a bit overboard with my response, but that came after I saw the $2,500 price tag on just that one 200 page volume of manga. THAT is just ridiculous.

I'm not angry spending that $50 for the used library volume because I knew what I was getting and I knew I was willing to spend that much. It doesn't mean that I can't wish for people to not be so greedy... but, hey, that's the breaks.

I guess what ticks me off more is getting into stuff late and not having the opportunity to have bought it when it wasn't OOP. Such is life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Re: Rare Excel Saga volumes: I'd been intending to send a similar question regarding the Welcome to the NHK light novel. I pre-ordered the reprint for $6, but it was cancelled by the publisher. Used copies range up to $383.74 in price.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Re: Rare Excel Saga volumes: I'd been intending to send a similar question regarding the Welcome to the NHK light novel. I pre-ordered the reprint for $6, but it was cancelled by the publisher. Used copies range up to $383.74 in price.

BookFinder.com currently lists a used copy at Half.com for $7.98 (including shipping inside the U.S.)—or a new copy for $11.48.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=1427802564&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:26 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

BookFinder.com currently lists a used copy at Half.com for $7.98 (including shipping inside the U.S.)—or a new copy for $11.48.

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?isbn=1427802564&submit=Begin+search&new_used=*&destination=us&currency=USD&mode=basic&st=sr&ac=qr

Thanks, but it lies. Try clicking it. "List Price" (RRP) is $7.99 but "Best Price" (the price you can actually buy it for) is $85.00 in 'acceptable' condition.

Edit: Sorry, it lied about the Used copy, but the New copy was apparently genuine. It's listed as "Not currently stocked in Blackwell stores. Ask your local store to obtain this item for you," however, so I'm guessing this is just an error as they don't realise it's out-of-print. Ordered just in case. Thanks again!
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
So many things to respond to! Prime examples of overpriced, OOP items I've personally hunted for include CLAMP's Miyuki-chan in Wonderland manga (FINALLY found a copy that came to cover price after shipping on Amazon recently!) and FLCL (CAN'T WAIT for Funi to release it on one disc, $90+ for two episodes, what are you smoking?!)

Someone mentioned old library copies. I have a complete set of the Genshiken manga, all bought from Amazon Marketplace, all in nice condition, however Volume 7 looks ugly in my collection with its library stickers on the binder...

And my friends, when visiting conventions, you can find treasures for amazing prices, just because the seller doesn't know what they have! ^___^ Last year at Megacon, I found the Director's Cut of the first Afro Samurai Brand New, $7! It was going for $30 everywhere else at the time. I also found $5 VIZBIG manga interspersed through the various merch tables. Shop around, my friends, shop around...
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with you on Afro Samurai and fears of what Funimation's originals will be. I own both of the blurays and LOVE them, but I realize that they are nothing but purdy animated gorefest fights. I can only watch so many shows like that before I just get bored. I am one of the VERY few men in their 20's that (at least openly) does not like action movies due to the feeling that I have seen all this before in the previous 20 summer blockbuster action movies. I prefer something with STORY, even if it has no violence at all and/or would qualify as a chick-flick. I own and enjoy a few action shows/movies (300, Black Lagoon, Afro Samurai, etc.) but for the most part I had more than my fill of action and explosions and guns in my teen years.

Same goes for Shinchan and Sgt Frog (the dubs of course). I LOVE both of those series, but I doubt I can watch very many similar shows before the "been there, done that" feeling rears its ugly head.

Oh and while I remember... am I the only one that got a bit annoyed about the parts of the Afro Samurai movie where people were accusing Afro of ruining countless lives and making it sound like he maliciously did it? A bunch of people draw their swords and attack him with the intention to kill, he wins and thus kills them first, and suddenly he is the bad guy? I still don't get that....
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Welcome, friend, to the nightmare that exists for anyone trying to get ahold of the sixth and final volume of Dark Horse's print run of Otomo's Akira! Finding a new, pristine copy of the book will run you somewhere around 200 bucks; finding a copy that's torn to shreds and covered in stains and dust and sorrow will still cost you around 60 dollars.

Good thing there are reprints under a different license going around. Up to four have been announced, so hopefully the last two will have a release date.

That should, hopefully, depreciate the value of the original set for all of those purists out there, haha. I mean, if FFVII could drop $40+ for the used copies because of the PSN version, who knows what it could do for Akira. ;D

Last edited by Lenks on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Personally I don't see transplanting an avant garde anime director into the U.S. and having him be the creative force for an American produced animated series really making any headwaves. They tried it with Kia Asamiya in manga form and that kind of flopped. Production in Japan works differently than the U.S. When you have corporate sponsorship, the creative talent gets very little oversight or respect and leaving a creative project under the direction of an artist is not something any U.S. company would consider in a risky market like this.

In Japan, everything is done in stages and there's such an abundance of artistic output so you can pick and choose your resources for cheap until a final product is made and the corporate bigwigs knows at least a certain percentage of the population will like it. That's more of an accurate picture of the anime industry of the 80's and 90's but it's really not that much different today because of the technology available now.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of OOP manga, I've also been having a hard time finding OOP DVDs. I've been looking for Tenchi Muyo OVA DVD Vol. 3 and Vol. 4, but there all expensive. I've also been looking for Descendants of Darkness DVD Vol. 3 and I can't find it anywhere! I have DVDs, 1, 2 and 4, it's almost complete, but I am missing DVD 3. As far as manga goes, most of the series I'm interested are availble, for now...

To the answerfans - I think I'm in the same boat as you Patrick. I'm only 21 years old, but to me, nothing beats anime from the 90s. I haven't been keeping up with Naruto and Bleach, I can't stand Vampire Knight, and while I do have interest in only a few current series, I've mostly been working on getting older anime. It can be frustrating at times, because I wish I could complete some of my series. Like you, I also feel apart from the fandom. I have better things to do than to browse forums, and most of the anime the 15 year old demograph likes, are just downright silly to me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
(looks at his Tenchi collection wondering) should I keep these behind locked doors now? Question

Hey Answerfan wrote:
...What are some of the things you think the industry is doing that's especially interesting and exciting?
Staying in business in spite of it all. Try being 57 going on 58 and being an anime fan. Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't pass by a forum on OO P manga without mentioning my personal quest: Osamu Tezuka's. Adolf vol. 1. I have volumes 2-5, all priced resonably, but I have yet to see vol. 1 available for under $80. I'm just waiting for Viz to take a page out of Vertical's book and release an Adolf Omnibus. Is that too much to ask?

I feel very lucky that I scored Planetes vol. 1 at Bookdiscounts.com back when they were getting rid of all their manga in a 99 cents sale, but now that I've got a taste of the series, I'm kicking myself for not buying it earlier--back when the seller had more volumes available for about $5 each. I still wouldn't have a complete set, but it'd be better than my one lonely volume.

Re: Funimation~where's the rabid fan speculation on this? I'm wonderng what they can afford to license and what type of job they're planning to do with it. Independent comics? Children's novels of mediocre popularity (ie, NOT Harry Potter)? Maybe midline fantasy or sci-fi novels? OEL manga with a fanbase (Svetlana Chmakova's Nightschool might make a decent anime)? Hmmm...

New Answerfans Q: The Japanese industries or the American distribution ones?
I like how the Japanese anime companies are re-doing or adding sequels to anime based on popular manga. This may only apply to FMA: Brotherhood and the new Inuyasha right now, but if those do well, I wouldn't mind some more of the same.

American companies: staying in business, releasing anime anyway they can afford too (I love dubs but at least titles are avalable in R1) and keeping price points resonable, at least more resonable than the Japanese DVDs. Wink
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
(looks at his Tenchi collection wondering) should I keep these behind locked doors now? Question

Hey Answerfan wrote:
...What are some of the things you think the industry is doing that's especially interesting and exciting?
Staying in business in spite of it all. Try being 57 going on 58 and being an anime fan. Wink

I'm wondering that about my Revolutionary Girl Utena sets too. While I'm glad I have some of these things that are OOP, it makes me wonder of what I've missed out on forever. I'm sure there have been some older series out there that I would have liked but just never got around to buying, and now it would likely be too late for some.

As far as your age goes, I kind of think it's all the same once you get past 30. You start getting out of touch with the high school and college age crowds, and some might start feeling out of place at conventions and such. That last bit doesn't bother me, since I still have fun at them, and when the kids get to be too much, then I just head to the bar and get to get away from em for a bit Very Happy

But yeah, I guess these days the most exciting thing about the R1 market is that there still is one. Yeah, that's kind of a pessimistic view of things, but I really haven't seen much to inspire me otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6