• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Oh I see. Using 'gay' as a term for bad is offensive to homosexuals because it equates 'gay' with 'bad'. So we had better not use the word 'rape' as a negative term. That might go and associate rape with something bad and we wouldn't want that. Rolling Eyes

Did you just equate homosexuals with rapists?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

Quote:
In this case it wasn't meant badly, but you still feel offended.
Maybe you should examine what makes you respond like that.

Besides above, I get pretty hostile about rape because 1 in 6 women are sexually assaulted, and while most people look at that at just a number because assaulted women and men just don't come out and say anything, that includes me and about a dozen friends.

It's not just women, but when men hyperbolize rape, it's meant more towards the prison-shower-dropped-soap type. Laughing
(What proportion of males get sexually assaulted anyways?)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Death" is pretty natural; rape is not.

Yeah, it's perfectly natural when a drunk driver hits and kills two young children.

It may not have happened to you or someone you know, but it happens, it's horrible and it shouldn't prevent us from using 'death' or even 'murder' in other, not nearly as horrible contexts.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

What?! Hell no. Where did you get that from? Obviously the two are not comparable. In fact, That's precisely my point. Trying to equate using the word 'gay' to using the word 'rape' is completely ridiculous. Calling stuff 'gay' as an insult is offensive to homosexuals because it inaccurately implies that being gay is a bad thing. Obviously though, being raped or being a rapist is a very bad thing. I see no problem using the term 'rape' to mean something bad. Rape should mean something bad because that's exactly what it is. Hence the comparison makes no sense.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the GBLT group is being oversensitive when we say gay in a negative light

Oh, you mean this word which once meant happy? Imagine, for a second, how all those people felt when they found out their thesaurus was abruptly abused to include homosexuality as a definition.

I'm siding with the folks here who feel a chill pill is needed, especially when arguments like this are being made which completely ruins the credibility of finding us at fault for not using a thesaurus accurately.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Being someone who is familiar with the American comic book back-issue market, this is really not all that surprising. It goes back to the basic law of supply and demand, like it or not. Although right now, it's quite a difficult task to gauge the market prices on OOP manga volumes and I don't think Overstreet et al is anxious to devote resources to such a project, primarily because the majority of manga out there is available at or just slightly above retail price.

But on the whole, that volume of Excel Saga you're missing from your collection is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. Whoever has a copy to sell can sell it for whatever he/she wants and not obligated to sell it to you for retail. The good news, however, is that said seller may be willing to negotiate if it doesn't move for several months or more.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The best way to get the prices to come down is for people to not buy if they think the price is too high. While it sucks for consumers, people are allowed to sell products for as much as they want as long as somone is willing to pay for it. If nobody buys, then the price will come down. The prices get ridiulously high because somebody will probably pay it eventually.

And I wouldn't feel bad about holding out for a lower price since used items rarely contribute back to the original people that made it. That $100 for a used manga volume isn't going back to Japan or even the company that licensed it.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I can relate to feeling out of touch at most conventions these days. The age range has skewed WAY down in the last 10 years or so. I'm 29 now, and when I went to my first convention in 1999, the average age was still probably around 20-22. Nowadays it's more like 16-17.

Also, girls make up a huge amount more of the fandom at conventions these days than before. I would have to say it's a solid 50/50 from what I've seen.

I'm a pretty varied fan of anime though. I like a lot of the older titles from the 80s and 90s, as well as many current shows. As well as genres ranging from shoujo and slice of life, to some shonen action series.

The disconnect for me mostly is just the silly emotional high you have in high school from doing things you only get to do like once a year, etc. that I'm not apart of anymore, and that the bulk of current fans haven't seen much beyond the last 5-7 years. I've heard people call Love Hina "Old" etc...

In closing:
SOME WAN WAN! Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this defense of using the term "rape" in a casual context is getting ridiculous.

The context: The questioner asks if s/he should "...bend over for Amazon?"
Brian replies:
Quote:
Now, should you bend over and begrudgingly accept the wallet rape of opportunistic second-hand book dealers?

The use of the term "bend over" in both the question and the answer implies being taken advantage of, and presumably the individual asking the question was a man, so "bending over" and "taking it in the wallet" is hysterical! Totally in context! Nothing wrong with using a term that implies a violent sexual act if it's only a metaphor for loss of income!

Ya see, since "rape" is not considered a term walled off by the politically correct Joke Police yet (y'know, those people that insist we stop using various racial slurs and perfectly viable four letter words in polite discourse), it's still funny and perfectly acceptable.

Plus all who are offended by it are probably just oversensitive women or individuals who have been raped themselves. they have no right to speak out against the rest of us non-victims of sexual assault about the words we use! The audacity of people reacting publicly to being offended! Rolling Eyes
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I can relate to feeling out of touch at most conventions these days. The age range has skewed WAY down in the last 10 years or so. I'm 29 now, and when I went to my first convention in 1999, the average age was still probably around 20-22. Nowadays it's more like 16-17.

Don't worry. The End of Dubs will take care of that Twisted Evil

ikillchicken wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

What?! Hell no.

Don't worry, I think he was joking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6