• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: The Lupin Tapes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
DRWii, Green vs Red was a celebration of the franchise, you really had to have watched various incarnations of it before you could appreciate it. Even so, it was disappointing in a lot of other ways (a spoiler[giant robot] in the third act, established plot elements dismissed entirely, the ending).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
As a side note, I asked him what his involvement was with Baxinger and Sasuraiger since the ANN encyclopedia credits him with the original story for those. He looked at me like I was insane; he'd never even heard of the J9 trilogy. Actually...hmm, those entries are still there. But my error report flags are still there, so eventually that should get fixed.

Chances are the character designs and general feel of the shows are inspired from Lupin, as you can see some similarites between Lupin and the J9 Trilogy, and that probably transformed into the belief that Monkey Punch was directly invovled in them.
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
amusingly, the series was retitled for French markets as Edgar de la Cambriole, a hilarious renaming that amounts to calling the character "Eddie Burglar."
Actually, that was the name of the character in the French version. The actual name of the series in French is "Edgar, le détective cambrioleur", which means something like "Edgar the burglar/detective". Seems like they felt a bit uncomfortable with having a criminal as a hero, so they presented him as a detective first. Even stranger is that Lupin's name in the French version of Cagliostro is Vidocq, the name of a famous French crook who later turned and became the first director of the French Sureté. Go figure...

About the non-acceptance of Fuma's vocal cast, of course much of the protest arose out of the fact that is was done for puerly monetary reasons (plus that the regular actors were still pretty much in their prime at that moment, so there was no real professional reason to replace them). But I can't help but wonder if some of the protest may also have stemmed from the fact that the actors chosen to replace them were also quite well-known at that time: certainly Toshio Furukawa had been in the spotlight at that time for a couple of years with Urusei Yatsura, and Mami Koyama was fresh of Dr Slump. May not the Japanese audience have been opposed to the choice of actors they associated with other high-profile roles and consider it a bit of stunt casting? Imagine the fan backlash if Daniel Radcliffe were announced as the next Doctor Who.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
DRWii, Green vs Red was a celebration of the franchise, you really had to have watched various incarnations of it before you could appreciate it.

I'd be inclined to accept that if it weren't for the fact that I've noticed something peculiar about my tastes: I tend to like newer iterations/installments of old-school franchises (or just new school things based on/inspired by old school things in general) better than the older stuff. Some examples: I liked "Diebuster" more than "Gunbuster" (I'm a heretic, I know). I loved the recent "Speed Racer" movie, but based on what little I've seen of it, I probably wouldn't be terribly fond of the original series. I swear I'm the only person on the internet who actually liked "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," let alone more than the first 2 movies (I haven't seen the original trilogy in years, so I'm just going off my memories of how much I liked them; only saw the first 2 once or twice each, but watched "Last Crusade" over and over and over again, and I'd probably still like it best).

I'm sure I could dig for more examples, but basically, based on past experience, I actually should have loved "Green vs Red" despite my very limited exposure to the franchise. And the opening sequence sure made it seem that way; I may not have been able to tell each incarnation from each other, but it was pretty obvious to me that the Lupins flashing on the computer screen and running from police cars were all different incarnations, and having them be all on screen at once while the classic theme music plays was a totally awesome moment, and probably the highlight of the whole thing. Unfortunately, as I said earlier, it just ended up being too confusing and serious for my tastes. At least it wasn't bad.

Especially not 2004 "Appleseed" bad.
Brack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
This article makes me feel a little less weird for liking Lupin III Part 3.

On Green Vs. Red - there's too much going on and not enough running to time address it all. That being said, there's individual sequences I really like, even if it doesn't hold up as a complete work. I'd certainly buy it if it follows Episode Zero, along with a lot of the other specials from the past decade. The only real downside has been Goro Naya's health in recent years keeping Zenigata on the sidelines (though he sounded a lot better in the The Last Job).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'd really like to see any live-action adaptation of Lupin III done by Luc Besson. He's a French director so that OSS 117 actor who works under Gaumont might be a good pick. Plus Besson draws a lot of inspiration for his films from anime and Japanese pop-culture (just look at Wasabi, The Fifth Element, The Professional and Yamakasi).
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
Ah, Lupin- one of the 3 notable 'blind spots' in my anime experiences (the others being the Ghost in the Shell franchise and the works of Hayao Miyazaki.) My experience with Lupin consists almost entirely of clips of Cliff Hanger from old Starcade reruns, and the movie 'Crisis in Tokyo' which I got as a freebie from Rightstuf. Good to have a nice reference for cherry-picking the best flims to get to 'fill myself in' on this. Very Happy
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
Ah man, Lupin. Cagliostro was my first exposure to Lupin, way back in the early 90s, and I hated it. I was into ACTION and VIOLENCE! Lupin didn't do anything for me. But, since I was limited to just reading about anime online, I knew the general outline of what the series was about and all the principal characters. Then, once Tokyopop released the Lupin manga, my opinion changed overnight. A hyper pervert offing badguys in style? I bought as many as I could, and once I saw the Adult Swim episodes, I went out and bought just about every DVD I could get my hands on.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
Always being a fan of classic James Bond, Castle of Cagliostro was a big hit with me when I saw it. I don't think Cagliostro was the first Lupin III thing I saw but for me gave me the impression that Lupin was more of an adventure hero with a comedic and romantic side (much like James Bond) than a character in a cops & robbers action series.

My introduction to Hayao Miyazaki also occurred about the same time I became a Lupin III fan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
MIB: I meant theory the poster. =p

Past: He also managed to find time to pose with the Cobra creator.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Heh, one of my early remembrances of Lupin is from Koko wa Greenwood. C'mon, ya guys know the scene! Laughing
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Castle of Cagliostro was how I got into Lupin in the first place. Even if Lupin was portrayed differently in the movie, I think it's an excellent way to get people familiar with Lupin.

Though like Reed Nelson said in the Episode O commentary, that the great thing about Lupin is you can start on any of the anime cause hardly any of it were labeled as sequals or continuations.

I do like how Cagliostro was referenced and parodied in some of the later Lupin anime, most noteably the main theme song of it was played in one part of Red Vs. Green along with a movie poster of it.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I can thank Lupin for getting me into anime to begin with. Actually had no clue it was anime at first.

Aptly timed retrospective, actually. Started watching my second series DVDs again just yesterday. Wish I had more than I do, but it's cool. And Castle of Cagliostro's definitely one of the films I go back to most often.

Thanks for this, Mike! I have a feeling I'm about to get into a pretty big Lupin kick now, haha.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Mike. I haven't read 100% of it yet, but I'll come back and finish it soon. This line jumped out at me, though, so I wanted to comment on it before I forgot:

Quote:
That's because 100% of Pink Jacket Lupin animation is directed by a guy named Seijun Suzuki.

Not actually true. He was co-director on "Babylon," this is true, but of the "Lupin the Third Part III" TV Series, he only wrote the scenario for one episode: #13, "悪のり変装曲" ("Play a Joke on the Variation"). He had no further involvement in "Part III."
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the good vibes and minor corrections: Reed, I was pretty sure that Suzuki didn't direct the entire TV series, but couldn't find anything to verify that, and IIRC the Anime Encyclopedia was listing him as co-directing the whole shebang. Probably just conflating it with the movie.

I'll have more thoughts, but they'll need to wait for when I'm not in Kenya.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3